PDA

View Full Version : tell me where to spend my money everyone???

pupper
07-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I am about to purchase a new bow and here are the ones in the running.
70-80# ,27.5 drawlenght

Mathews switchback xt- short axle-axle, smooth bow, well balanced/
http://www.mathewsinc.com/v2/home/products/catalog.asp?btnSubmit=ByCatalog&cboCatalogCategoryID=87&cboCatalogID=379

Bowtech tribute- short axle, claims to have the best cam system, fast speed
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/main.html

AR 35 sd-looks cool:smile:
http://archeryresearch.com/ar_35_sd/main.html

so let me know what you think I should buy and why.

think of it as an essay:redface:

pupper

cowboy-up69
07-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Buy a Hoyt. Best bows I think!! :)

sealevel
07-17-2006, 04:30 AM
witcn one do you like best have you been able to shoot all 3 ? Every ar that i have ever shot has a lot of viberation ! the switchback xt i have shot a switchback great bow. but the xt i havent heard where people really like it and besides its a one camed bow kinda like riding a unicycle. Now the tribune thats the one i would by. Fast smooth

Bow Walker
07-17-2006, 10:07 AM
I am about to purchase a new bow and here are the ones in the running.
70-80# ,27.5 drawlenght
Mathews switchback xt- short axle-axle, smooth bow, well balanced/
http://www.mathewsinc.com/v2/home/products/catalog.asp?btnSubmit=ByCatalog&cboCatalogCategoryID=87&cboCatalogID=379
Bowtech tribute- short axle, claims to have the best cam system, fast speed
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/main.html
AR 35 sd-looks cool:smile:
http://archeryresearch.com/ar_35_sd/main.html
so let me know what you think I should buy and why.
think of it as an essay:redface:
pupper
Pup, I am in the same dilema....Ii have been researching the same brands (to death my wife says) both on the internet and over on Archery Talk.

I came across another option that I found very intriging, namely Elite Archery. Before you make your mind up for good, check them out. They are at http://www.elitearchery.com You might be surprised and pleased at what they have to offer. This is the same company that has been in a court battle with Bowtech - it looks very much like they are going to win. I personally like the look of either the E-force or the E-500.

As sealeve said, I think the way of the future is going to be "binary" cams or twin cams. Very smooth on the draw, fast, and quiet.

Good luck in your search.

BlacktailStalker
07-17-2006, 12:33 PM
I spent a long time researching and drawing back different bows and settled with a Hoyt. Very happy with my choice but like anything its personal preference. Go with what YOU feel is the best for you. All the big names are a quality bow, otherwards they wouldnt be big name companys

Fred
07-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Pupper, I would strongly recommend that you do what you think is best for you. If it turns out to be a wrong choice, oh well you learned something. You will not however wonder how things would have gone if you hadn't compromised. Go with your gut feeling , it probably isn't too far off base. ;-) Fred

xtremearchery
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Well you can't go wrong with the switch back or AR. I own both. I have a AR 34 and a switchback. Not the XT. The plain switchback is 5 fps more than the XT, and a little more forgiving. The AR-34 is my hunting bow. My switchback is for sale at Big Game Archery. It is a complete package with 27.5" draw, copper john hunter 5 pin sight, sims enhanser 2000 stablizer, and whisker bisket deluxe rest. Only 5 months old. $850.00 firm. Selling it because I am getting a new 3d bow.

Mark - Abbotsford
778-228-6960.

stickbow
07-17-2006, 02:20 PM
chek-mate recurve or longbow,no sights,no stabalizers,no arrows rests,no releases,no peep sights,no tinkering,no headaches,no problems,just good old fashion shooting.just my opion,it works for me

bowhunter4life
07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
well i argee with whatever bow feels good for you but the one thing is do you always shoot a 70-80# bow because its a bit unnesasary yuo will be far more acurate with a lighter bow and holding at full draw while waiting for the deer to move to that good position just my opinion :mrgreen: im new to archery myself but from the advice i got from some of the people i know in powell river they recomended a lighter draw . i also wanted a heavy bow like you but then i went down to a 60-70# limbs and and im glad i did beacause holding at full draw with and 80# limb just wouldnt happen for very long. for me at least. but in the end its all up to you and if thats what you want.... different strokes for different folks i guess:smile:

well theres my two cents b4l

willyqbc
07-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Justin....stick with 60-70#'s you don't need anymore than that for anything on this continent...including G-bear. You seem to do quite well with the Hoyt you have now So I would reccomend going with another Hoyt, The trykon is very nice, but so are many of their other models.

Chris

pupper
07-17-2006, 06:23 PM
yah hoyt makes a good bow but the new trykon looks a little too much like something batman would go hunting with.

I think I am leaning towards the bowtech equalizer due to my 27.5 draw length.

the AR looks the best IMHO but doesnt feel as good as the bowtech.

and I think I like the binary cam system better that the solo cam.

those are my thoughts anyway

-Justin

jessbennett
07-17-2006, 09:39 PM
i tell ya the hoyt trykon is smooth. one in the shop here for sale. 50-60 28" draw. its nice. never have i shot a bow without any accesories on it INCLUDING sling, and have the shop owner tell you to shoot it open handed. one would say without a sling is crazy, but let me tell ya against my better judgement i tried it and that bow did not move!!! try one out.

pupper
07-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Well I ordered the bowtech tribute 70#, 27.5 draw length.
I also got the smooth mods as well as the speed ones.

I shot quite a few arrows through the mathews switchback xt and if it was a contest just about comfort and the smoothest draw I would of settled on it. Very little recoil as well, close 2nd very nice bow to shoot.

the AR velocity was alright I thought it had the most recoil and made a buzzing sound whenever I shot, I didnt really like the feel although I can appreciate it.

the bowtech was the hardest, and kinda wierd to pull back with those speed cams. I like the solid back wall and man it shot fast, accurate and I still cant beleive how fast it shot, never shot anything like it.

It will be arriving the 1st of aug. I wont sleep until then.

its quite the bow, nicely balanced as well.

Bow Walker
07-21-2006, 07:48 PM
I had a chance yesterday to handle and draw the Tribute, the Diamond Victory, the Illusion, and the PSE Vengeance. It was a surprise because this store doesn't normally carry anything but PSE. Now all of a sudden they are expanding their options - about time I say!

All the bows were nice. All of them. Just on handling, feel, weight, balance and of course looks I would rate them this way;
4. PSE
3. Illusion
2. Diamond
1. Tribute

It was almost a toss up between the Diamond and the Tribute but the Tribute won out..........maybe because I'm now partial to a hybrid or a dual or a binary system. Binary wins out of these three.

On draw all the bows the Tribute was definitely tied with the Diamond and the Illusion was right up in there as well. But again, the Tribute won.

This will be my bow of choice. (for now) Next I plan on seeking out the Elite line of bows. They intrigue me to no end.

Great choice Pupper! You lucky dog:wink:

Eagle1
07-22-2006, 08:15 AM
I had a chance yesterday to handle and draw the Tribute, the Diamond Victory, the Illusion, and the PSE Vengeance. It was a surprise because this store doesn't normally carry anything but PSE. Now all of a sudden they are expanding their options - about time I say!

All the bows were nice. All of them. Just on handling, feel, weight, balance and of course looks I would rate them this way;
4. PSE
3. Illusion
2. Diamond
1. Tribute

It was almost a toss up between the Diamond and the Tribute but the Tribute won out..........maybe because I'm now partial to a hybrid or a dual or a binary system. Binary wins out of these three.

On draw all the bows the Tribute was definitely tied with the Diamond and the Illusion was right up in there as well. But again, the Tribute won.

This will be my bow of choice. (for now) Next I plan on seeking out the Elite line of bows. They intrigue me to no end.

Great choice Pupper! You lucky dog:wink:

Good choice on bows, the illusion is Browning, which is made by PSE and the Diamond is made by Bowtech { the older bowtech one cams} Elite looks very interesting and e-500 is fast { according to specs} but you have to be able to handle that speed to shoot good.
I've seen the new "Binary cam " and thought it pulled kind of like a truck, an old cable ancher system upgrade to ancher on the wheel instead of the axle,still had cam lean. In my opinion I still feel on a two cam the only way to elimanate cam lean is with a Y harnness buss cable system.

Nice bow pupper, I know you'll up your shooting with the new bow.

Walksalot
07-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Having not known your history with reguards to archery any comments I make have no offence intended.

Really rethink the 70-80 lb draw weight. The bow may be easy to pull back at the range but factor in a cold morning with cold muscles and you have the makings for less than pleasant experience. I just bought a new compound with the draw weight 60 lbs max. Most bows shoot best toward the top end of the draw weight so this is something to consider.
Becoming proficient with your bow requires practice and practice has to be fun.

jessbennett
07-23-2006, 09:25 AM
good point walksalot, in this day and age, with the technology nowadays one does not need to be pulling 70 to 80 pounds. i know on a cold morning 62 pounds can feel like 100 pounds. id hate to imagine drawing an 80 pound bow back after sitting in a tree for 3 or 4 hours in -10 degree weather!:!: . just my opinion though. to each their own. good luck pupper with your new bow.;-)

sealevel
07-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a bowhunting relative who has shot most everything in this provence he shoots 60 lbs. To shoot a goat he had to lay on a rock and shoot out over the edge try that at 80 lbs. Most people that have shot big lbs all have rotater cup surgery. Buy what you like but i would recommend 60-70 lbs.

pupper
07-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I did end up getting a 60#-70# just because the technology is so good you dont need to go 80#. I would rather have something that is easily manageable to take as many variables out of the equation as possible.The guy from bowtech said he just got 3 orders for 100# tributes for some guys who are going grizz hunting. I think that is a little overkill since guys in the 1970s and 80s were nailing grizz with 80# bows that dont have anywhere near the same speed a good 60# or 70'# bow has. so why go to 100#? to me it seems like you are adding some unnecassary variables.

pupper

Rainwater
07-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I shoot a recurve but suggest you drop the poundage down, don't buy one unless you can shoot it, and let someone else shoot it and listen to how much noise it makes. quiet is good.

Bow Walker
07-24-2006, 04:45 PM
pupper - let us know how the bow handles and shoots for you whe you get it and set it up. Take a few picks of your groups.

We'll be waiting.................

pupper
07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
I shoot a recurve but suggest you drop the poundage down, don't buy one unless you can shoot it, and let someone else shoot it and listen to how much noise it makes. quiet is good.

well, the poundage isnt an issue for me personally. Not to brag but I can handle it dont worry about me, 80lbs isnt even a problem ive shot those fine.

and any bow can be loud, my 60lbs hoyt was very loud until I put that rubber kit thing inside the strings then it was whispering.

I think Ill be okay, thanks for your concern rainwater

pupper