PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer AB

Hilgy
07-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Well its final I will be moving to Red Deer in Aug. Just wondering if anyone has hunted there. What am I in for?? Is it easy to find a place to hunt? Is there good hunting around red deer? I know that I will probably have to live there for a while before I can get an Alberta hunting licence but that should give me some time to scout I guess.

sealevel
07-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I think thats in the bowzone and i think its all private land so good luck.

chevy
07-16-2006, 09:18 PM
yeah but you gotta think it is only a hop skip and a jump to saskatchewan for those big whitetails and not the whole area is bow zone plus there is some good elk up around that area close to airdrie good luck man and yes you have to live there for six months before you can get your (WIN) card wildlife identification card i know this because i lived in high river and airdrie for a few years

Cappy
07-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I actually live an hour south of Red Deer. You are in a prime hunting area. The majority of the land adjacent to the city is private. However you are less than an hour away from the forest reserve and crown land. You can check out albertagame.com and get some more info.

Hilgy
07-17-2006, 07:29 PM
thanks for the replys guys. cappy that is the kind of news that i wanted to hear. could you tell me what the first step is in getting a hunting licence out there.

what I mean is do you have to take any tests or courses like we do in B.C
(CORE) to get a hunter number or such.

Thanks hilgy

Hank Hunter
07-17-2006, 09:25 PM
As far as I know if you already have your bc hunter number you do not need anything else in order to get a win card in alberta

Cappy
07-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Just have to show your license from another province as proof as having had a license and that will get you your Wildlife Identification Number (WIN) You can even get it now for the same price. That has to be re-newed every 5 years. With that you buy your licenses.

Here's a link to the online regs:

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/huntingregs/

PS: No need to go to Saskatchewan for big whitetails, got this one last year went 158 3/8" net as an 8 point.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/CapDog/Hunting/8ee163b8.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/CapDog/Hunting/PICT0083Small.jpg

dirtyharry
07-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Getting the liscence in alberta is easy cause it is privatized, no beurocracy. You just fill out the win form with a stat dec that says you have taken hunter training or were qualified to hunt somewhere else. You can do this at any sporting goods store. They give you a temp # and a reciept that are good until you get the card in the mail. You can buy your hunting/ fishing liscences at that time.
There is some great hunting near you if you are willing to go up into the foothills. Nordeg, Rocky mountain house, Lodgepole all great. Tons of oil lease roads and cutlines to walk.
Moving to alberta, go buy some backroads mapbooks and the Barry Mitchells alberta fishing guide. Both are packed with information.
One other thing you will like is that the draw in Alberta is a priority draw. Think waiting list. So if you put in for one year after year you will get it eventually. Some areas in 1 or 2 years, others lifetime, but they give the stats of applied/ awarded so you will know before you apply. There is also a code you can enter where you will not draw that year but still move up the list and maintain your spot. Good if you are close to drawing but wont be able to hunt that fall.

Rob

Hilgy
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. it sounds like I might not have to come home every year to hunt. i am excited to getto scout out some new country.

Cappy thanks for the link. going to take awhile to get used to a new set of regs.