PDA

View Full Version : Alberni springs

sealevel
07-16-2006, 04:17 PM
I`am coming fishing in the canal and the sound from the 30th to the 3rd of august. I know the sound pretty well i like to fish cree and san matio but i havent fished for 12 years so what is working ??? and i know where to catch snapper and such but don`t know where to get hali`s Any help would shore be appereceated.

BlacktailStalker
07-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Hali's are usually taken off the coast at teh entrance of the canal or more towards Pachina Bay look at the marine blue charts and go to the humps, one is 5,7,12 miles out) OLR12 hootchies, purple haze flashers, spoons, hootchies, green glo coyote spoons and knight rider coyote spoons is what we hit the springs on 3 weeks ago. We were fishing the 5 and 12 mile points off Pachina bay. www.bcfishingreports.com (http://www.bcfishingreports.com) is a good place to check for up to date word of mouth reports, good luck. I go by "Waterwalkin'" on there.

NeverTheSameThingOnce
07-18-2006, 09:54 AM
I returned from Barkley Sound this weekend.

We could not keep the Halibut of the hooks. One spring over twenty, and several Hatchery Coho.

When the weather permits we typically head out to the 20, 13, 7 or 5 mile banks. It really depends on the water. My friend has a large off shore boat fully equiped with radar and naviagation so we do our best; it has to be pretty crappy not to go.

We try and fish in the 190 to 230 foot depth range and troll around 1 to 2 nauts. We let the cannon balls touch the ocean floor and bring them up three to five feet. Over the years of doing this we have found that anything works for all species, however, our favorites our white or white with green spots glow hooches on 4-6 feet of leader behind any colour of flasher. Bait also works wonders, but it is a pain in the ass and expensive.

We typically have our limit of all species in 3-4 hours on a good day so it is worth going out if you can make it. Coho hook ups typically occure as we are dropping down our gear in the first 100 feet or even on the surface. While springs and Hali's are typically much deeper, and probably due to our technique, we get them on the bottom. However, we have nailed springs all over the place, and hali's do come up (I assume chasing bait) to around 70 feet in our experience.

Good luck, there were very few fish caught inside as this time of year is spotty. So if you can get offshore it is well worth your while. Latter in August we fish the typical 15 to 40 feet deep with anchovies at all the regular spots around Bamfield and the broken group.

Sam

mr eagle
07-22-2006, 12:28 AM
The above noted posts are correct; most of the halibut come from off shore from Barclay Sound. That being said, I caught a 30 lber off Edward King Island while fishing for salmon a few weeks ago, and saw a few other halibut brought in that were caught off whittlestone or the whistle buoy that weighed up to 55 lbs. A local told me that dragging the bottom just outside the Bamfield harbour will often produce surprising results especially in the spring.

Islandeer
07-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Hi all,

I am a newby to the canal with only a couple years of sockey runs under my belt. I usually fish Sooke and Renfrew. But I really love the canal and want to target springs later this summer.(and coho) When do they start showing in the Namint- China Creek areas? General times would be great. Thanks!

sealevel
08-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I just got back from the barkley sound we got a couple haleys a 25lb ling some big snappers but no salmon . They closed sockeye the day before we got there. We got 2 springs to the boat but lost them both. In three days of fishing cree swale wittlestone and all spots in between i never saw a fish netted.

hoochie
08-07-2006, 02:48 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/hoochie_photos/100_9530.jpg

this afternoon on the Fraser....