PDA

View Full Version : Pintail's For Mallard's???

meat eater
03-13-2011, 05:50 AM
I was just curious will pintail decoy's work to help bring in mallard's? might be a dumb question but i'm new to the sport! we can get pintail decoy's at princess auto but not mallard's up here in kamloop's!

wos
03-13-2011, 09:02 AM
If the mallards in your area are use to mingling with pins It wont be a problem.
If there aren't many pins in your area you may have a tough time convincing wary mallards.

fowlweather
03-13-2011, 11:18 AM
I was just curious will pintail decoy's work to help bring in mallard's? might be a dumb question but i'm new to the sport! we can get pintail decoy's at princess auto but not mallard's up here in kamloop's!

most ducks will decoy to anything. pintails for sure should work, you could try painting a couple to green heads and the fronts brown where the white is on the pintail,

lorneparker1
03-13-2011, 02:42 PM
most ducks will decoy to anything. ,

No

Lorne

Ian F.
03-13-2011, 03:57 PM
You have months till opener, put together a cabelas order, or make the drive across the line, you wont regret it.

Ian

P.S. I agree with Lorne

rburm
03-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Lorne, Ian. Rather than just shutting fowlweather down how about explaining a little bit. I thought this site was about promoting the sport of hunting and helping like minded people out.

I for one would like to hear your comments.

It could go a long way to encourage new people into the sport. Who knows somebody you encourage or mentor today could become the spokespeople for the bcwf tomorrow.

lorneparker1
03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
ok.

In my experience ducks will not decoy to "anything". However being in the right spot will usually make the brand, quality, species of decoys less of a deciding factor. In waterfowling, being where they want to be, and being hidden well, far out way your decoys IMO. To blanket statement that ducks will decoy to anything is not true. Throw some scoter and canvasvack decoys in a corn field and see how many ducks you get.

To answer the OP. Pintail dekes by themselves will not help bring in mallards. Will they avoid it all together? who knows but my assumpition is probably not. However ducks like to land with thier own kind, that is fact. Not opinion. I can say that i have never hunted mallards with just pintails decoys, nor would i ever, so my experience is limited to the orginal question *maybe your on to something" :)). Mallard decoys will help bring in mallards. And as a second i guess black duck decoys. Adding a bit of variety doest hurt thats forsure (mixing pins, teal, widgeon with mallards) but to try and target a species of duck with a different speicies of duck deke would not be recommeneded. By me anyway.

And lastly, if the pintails are cheap, I'd grab the pintail dekes, and order your self some ghg hot buys from cabelas. You can never have too many dekes.

Hope that helps.

Lorne

rburm
03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Very cool Thank you.

Seems like common sense but I guess you never know, strange things can happen.

Again thank you for the insight. I do appreciate all I can learn as a newbie.

Cheers

Big Lew
03-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I have tried using just pintail decoys but it didn't seem to bring in much but teal and a few widgeon.
I have both mallard and pintail decoys, as well as decent goose decoys. When using decoys on open water, I will usually set the mallards out in a "J", with a couple of small groups of pintail just past the bottom end of the "J." I will be setup near the bottom end of the "J" and have a few goose decoys around me. This works quite well for me. I don't have any widgeon decoys, but am sure they would bring in all types of duck if set up in small, tight groups.

Marc
03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
In my rig of floaters I have mallards, pintail, and widgeon decoys. The widgeon love the widgeon decoys and robo they suck right in to that thing most times.

I try as some have said to keep the mallards to themselves but not as much with the widgeon and pintail as a lot of times you'll see them fly and rest together.

Like its been said pick yourself up a half dozen mallard decoys. Chances are the place you tried to buy them were sold out and wont order more until next season.

Ian F.
03-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Lorne, Ian. Rather than just shutting fowlweather down how about explaining a little bit. I thought this site was about promoting the sport of hunting and helping like minded people out.

I for one would like to hear your comments.

It could go a long way to encourage new people into the sport. Who knows somebody you encourage or mentor today could become the spokespeople for the bcwf tomorrow.

Where'd I shut this guy down? Take a look at my posting history and maybe reconsider the soapbox.

Ian

blindman
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
I had a unique result for me last season. I placed a dozen Blue-Bill decoys to the side of my Mallards and guess where the Mallards decoyed? I know the white on the BB' shows up at a distance, but I thought that as the Mallards got closer in, they would land with their own kind. Maybe they just thought that those little decoys were cute.

Foxton Gundogs
03-16-2011, 09:36 AM
If the mallards in your area are use to mingling with pins It wont be a problem.
If there aren't many pins in your area you may have a tough time convincing wary mallards.
I would have to agree. We were out taking down our spring goose blind and putting the area back "right" for the farmer. We spent about an hr. watching big flocks of pins coming into a big puddle and a string of malards in groups of 2-6 droping in right amungst them, no hesitation at all. But then we have lots of both so mix and match is comonplace I think. Like Marc we mix up our sets but keep the groups slightly seperated and have good results, have never added BBs on the side tho food for thought. Any decoys are never a waste of $ if the price is right who knows when or where they might come in handy.