PDA

View Full Version : 3D team selection Process proposal

willyqbc
07-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Hello, My name is Chris Wright and i am a member in good standing in the BCAA. I am writing to you today to express my concern over the nature of our current 3D team selection process. While the current system may result in more national medals, the recent provincials highlighted to me that this process is not fair and equitable to ALL shooters in my opinion. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that the current handicap numbers don’t match with the reality of the national medalists average scores, and because the current system does not take category attendance into consideration. All this has prompted me to do some research and put forth to you an alternate selection process which I believe to be more equitable to ALL competitors.

HANDICAPPING

First lets look at the handicap system. I will outline the current percentages being used versus the actual national percentages over the last 5 years. For this I averaged the 3 scores that made the podium in each category in each year then averaged the 5 year totals. When less than 3 competitors were in a category the actual number of medalists were averaged whether that was 2 or 1.

Current % Actual score %

MCBH 85% 88.5%
MSR 80% 90.6%
FSR 70% 77.4%
MSTR 65% 72.5%
FSTR 65% 42.1%
MBF 75% 81.4%
MCU 70% 66.9%
MBO 85% 96.6%
FBO 70% 84.9%
MBR 85% 91.8%
FBR 70% 79.1%
TRD 65% 67.6%
FTRD 60% 45.2%
HC 80% 90.0%
FHC 75% 72.3%
HF 75% 85.4%
RU 65% 72.2%

While the scores from year to year may fluctuate due to course difficulty, these actual 5 year averages give a very good indication of what scores are required to make the podium at nationals. Given the obvious discrepancies between the current selection standards and the actual percentages needed to medal at the national level I would propose that we use the ACTUAL national medalist averages to set the handicapping system. To do this the highest scoring category (MBO) would receive a handicap of 0% and 0 points the rest would add the following amounts to their scores at the provincials. This should create a level playing field across all categories when comparing to national medal averages.

Percent points

MCBH 8.1% 65
MSR 6% 48
FSR 19.2% 154
MSTR 27.1% 217
FSTR 54.5% 436
MBF 15.2% 122
MCU 29.7% 238
FBO 11.7% 94
MBR 4.8% 38
FBR 17.5% 140
TRD 29% 232
FTRD 51.4% 411
HC 6.6% 53
FHC 24.3% 194
RU 24.4% 195

SHOOTER LIMITS BY CATEGORY

The second area that I am having difficulty with in this selection process is the actual number of allocations per category. I understand we were missing out on some medals under the previous system, but 3 per category creates an unfair situation where the number of shooters competing for spots is not taken into consideration. Consider the following.....below is the actual averages for number of shooters per category attending the nationals. The 5 year average for total shooters at nationals is 187.

GROUP 1 0-5 Shooters per year

FSTR 1
FSR 4.4
MCU 1
FTRD 2.2
FHC 3
HF 4.2

This group accounts on average for 13.6/187 shooters or 8% of the total

GROUP 2 6-15 Shooters per year

MCBH 6.8
MSTR 9
FBO 10
FBR 7
TRD 8.6
RU 9.4
MBF 11.2
HC 13.8

This group accounts for 75.8/187 shooters or 41% of the total

GROUP 3 16+ shooters per year
MSR 22.4
MBO 39.2
MBR 34

This group accounts for 95.6/187 shooters or 51% of the total

To deal with the discrepancy in shooter numbers I propose that we take shooter attendance into consideration while setting category limits for team members. What I propose is the following:

GROUP 1 will be allowed a max of 2 shooters for the entire group of categories

GROUP 2 will be allowed a max of 2 shooters per category in the group

GROUP 3 will be allowed a max of 3 shooters per category in the group.

Under the current system there are several categories that realistically have almost no chance of making the team......for example the FSTR and FTRD are only allotted 15% and 25% handicaps compared to the MBO but in reality the national scores are 50%-55% lower than MBO....hardly seems like these folks even have a chance. Another example, 2 MBR shooters this year who shot an incredible 97% in a category with a national medalist average of 92% and still didn’t make the team. I believe that what will begin to happen is that these very talented archers will begin to seek out categories with better handicap advantages so that they are able to qualify for the team. Forcing our shooters out of the most highly attended and contested categories at the nationals is not a move in the right direction in my opinion. The way to rectify that is to use the ACTUAL national scores and update them every year to reflect the most current standards possible. Category attendance would also need to be looked at annually.This is a task I would be willing to take on and supply the BCAA with the new 5 year averages annually. As my family and I will be attending the provincials every year for the forseeable future I would also be willing to help applying the handicaps to make the selections.

Thanks very much for your time and consideration
Chris Wright
BCAA member
VP of the United Bowhunters of B.C.
Director of bowhunting for the Quesnel Archers
JOP coach for the Quesnel Archers
Email mascqbc@telus.net (mascqbc@telus.net)
Phone 250-992-5586

sealevel
07-09-2006, 01:02 PM
for the good of the bcaa and the future of archery in BC i hope they adopt that chris. when and wear do they hold there elections ?

oldtimer
07-09-2006, 02:44 PM
And you didn't think that high school math you bitched about would ever do you any good:smile: Good thoughtfull presentation Chris. Will it help us old farts. :-? Mike

willyqbc
07-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Will it help us old farts

The point of it is i don't want it to "help" anyone....I tried to create a completely unbiased system based only on the actual real world numbers.

Sealevel, the BCAA's AGM is usually held at the indoor provincials so hopefully if this proposal is considered they will give me a chance to discuss and defend my position seeing as the indoor provincials are here in Quesnel again this year.

Chris

Bow Walker
07-09-2006, 04:12 PM
In a Perfect World your proposal, when considered by the board, would be added to the agenda of the AGM, and there it would receive the discussion and consideration that it obviously merits.

Hopefully it is not too late to make the agenda for the AGM and also I hope you are invited to present at that AGM.

If not this year then next year - definitely.

Good luck with your well thought out and well written proposal Chris.