PDA

View Full Version : Pre Season scouting

BlacktailStalker
07-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Anyone been out looking ? Have any promising spots in mind ?
I took my dog for a walk into an area I had stored in the back of my mind from a couple years ago, it looked promising for early season deer. Unfortunately the first part I went into had been cleared right out. It wasnt too big a deal because the area I had to get to was made easier to get to because of this. I was about 40 yards from the exact area I wanted to put my stand and my dog stopped and went tense as at least 3 or 4 deer crashed through the bush behind a clump of poplars and maples. Sure enough there are 3 MAJOR traills coming out of the thick, thick timber and underbrush, into a grassy, treed poplar stand. Lots of shoots and berries as well. This "border" is where I plan to start my opening archery days as they are bedding down in the thick impenetratable woods and coming into the grassy poplar areas and continuing down several hundred yards into farmers fields to feed in the afternoon and back in the a.m. I cleared several shooting lanes as high up as I could reach and took the fallen debris far away so I dont taint the area too bad with scent and I wont be back until the day I plan on hunting it. I'll be trimming as I climb up in my climber.
Its getting close and I am getting stoked. A sleeping 3x4 (what a hog he will be by september) and 3x3 in my buddys yard the other day didnt help the time go by any faster either !

Brambles
07-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Took a trip to my new sheep spot, saw 9 sheep and 2 goats. We didn't have the spotting scopes with us when we hiked in so we couldn't tell for sure but 3 of the sheep could have been rams. Not bad considering we only went in there for a couple hours before we had to leave.

Some other scouting trips have shown some decent bucks but they were still in winter range so that doesn't really count.

Looks like a good year so far, only time will tell

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2006, 12:21 PM
It does look like a good year so far. Good luck with those sheep!

endtimerwithabow
07-15-2006, 06:55 AM
I seen a very nice 5X5 whitetail going to work the other day and heard of a non-typical 8X4 one drop tyne has 4 points on it. this is about 5 mins from my house. hopin to get that non-typical with my bow.

nykoma
07-16-2006, 08:40 PM
seeing lots of 4 - 5 poionts deer kicking around to and from work :-P

sealevel
07-16-2006, 09:16 PM
i watched a real nice mulie on fri. A nice 4 piont not real wide but high.

chevy
07-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I don't get out scouting at all so i get the real challenge in the fall to go and hunt without knowing if the deer or elk are in the areas but we have hunted these areas so much that we don't need to scout we just know the deer are going to be there and also the elk we get our deer and elk every year, so it is a fun time