PDA

View Full Version : bc 3d championship

sealevel
07-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I sure had a good time for 3 rounds i shot better than normal the 4th one was not pretty. Being that was the first one i have attended i was a little disappionted in the numbers that were there.

bow walker your secret weapen bernie came through and won the i guess you would call it the main event. i shot with him and ron boggy on sat. two great guys.

willyqbc
07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, at roughly 80 competitve shooters and some guests the turnout was definately poor. It is a week-end I would prefer to forget as I had a terrible round saturday...just couldn't get it going and shot 351/400:mad: . I battled back Sunday with a 375/400 almost making it all the way back onto the podium but came up just short. Bernie and another fellow from down Merv's way put on a show that won't be soon forgotten in the pinshooters category. It was a back and forth battle that came down to the 79th target before Bernie went ahead by 1 for the win...they both shot unbelieveable scores of 772 and 773 Congrats to them both and good luck at Nationals! Also congrats to Sealevel for picking up some hardware of his own! Good shooting Merv!
As for the rest of my clan my wife (sammy99) did not shoot particularly well by her standards but it was good enough to make the provincial team! Congrats to her as well! My little guy took the 9 and under group shooting an incredible 784/800 including a perfect 200 on his second round Saturday:shock: .....hard to believe he will be shooting this category for another 3 years:mrgreen:. I believe Oldtimer and My mom were pretty happy with the way they shot but he can comment on that himself.....they both brought home some hardware as well. we also took along a phenomenal young 14 year old recurve shooter from here....he not only took gold but posted the 2nd highest traditional score of the whole tournament, 2nd to only Mark Washtock (mens national champ)...this kid has a bright future in the sport.

Well thats all I can think of for now
Chris

xtremearchery
07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Glad to see that you archers had a great time. I was part of the organizing team. Pre ranged the course and helped in the designing and registration. Wish I could of shot but had a shoulder sergey that not to long ago. I think the good weather and being a long weekend kept the crouds away. There was around 50-70 people that shot n/c. So total turn out was just under 200. There were 100 BCAA members that shot. better luck next year! How did you guys like the course layout?

Mark Porter
Abbotsford fish & Game
Xtreme Archery

Bow Walker
07-05-2006, 09:29 AM
sealevel.........you neglected to toot your own horn! What did you come away with?

Yeah, that Bernie can shoot some, can't he? Who's this other fellow that gave Bernie a run for his money? First one that I have heard of that got really close to Bernie. Good on him. It gives some of the rest of us hope

Too bad that the attendance was done. Could it have been due to the long weekend? Lots of people away camping, holidays and such.

Chris - if I shot 351 out of 400 (that's 87.75% !!) I would not be too mad or P O'd. Coming back with a 375 (93.75% !!) is a great recovery. Some people have a hard time concentrating on the next target or the next round when they shoot a "bad" round, or even a few bad targets.

Sound like shooting well runs in the family. Congratulations to the "brood". U better watch your back - seems as if there is quite a challenge on the way. 784 out of 800? That's 98%.......I'd be over the moon! I hope that he was "recognized" for his perfect round? First one that I have come across - ever.

Congratulations, again, to both sealevel and willyqbc and their families for participating and for doing so well.

willyqbc
07-05-2006, 12:31 PM
BowWalker, it was a fellow by the name of Kevin Reimer....he's a great shooter. The reason I was PO'd after Saturday is that I am usually right in there with those two and my poor round coupled with their good rounds put me 30 points back and out of the hunt....noone is gonna make up 30 points on those two boys! Oh well, I'll work a little harder and take it to them at nationals. I believe merv walked away with bronze in the masters 50+ category....quite a tough category i might add.
As to the question above about course layout... i thought it was great for the most part...very deceptive set-ups on a lot of targets and you really had to be on your toes. The only issue I had wasthe last few targets coming out of the feild left you shooting straight at the roadway where other archers were standing. While shooting the warthog there were archers directly in my line. given the number of shooters these days who draw the bow well above the target line i found this to be quite unsafe. other than that corner I thought the rest of the course was very well done.

Chris

sealevel
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Kevin Riemer shot a 390 on sunday but he had spotted bernie 5 pionts on sat. It would have been something to see on the 3d from the last bernie shot an 8 giving kevin a one piont lead on the 2d to last shot kevin shot a 8 giving the one point lead back to bernie the last shot bernie had to shoot a ten to win. I liked the courses A course was a axact opposite to the B course.

Bow Walker
07-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Sounds like a great time. Too bad I was working. I would've love to watch the shootout between Bernie and Kevin - or was there spectators allowed ??

What club is Kevin Reimer associated with - or does he shoot solo?

Tough category indeed - Masters 50+ has plenty of better than average shooters in it.

sealevel
07-05-2006, 05:41 PM
kevin is a member of the enderby club i never heard of them having a name.

oldtimer
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
It was a good shoot !! I would question anybody saying there was 200 shooters. I shot in the Masters ( 60+ category ) and had a great time against Wayne Lougheed who shot awesome and will represent us old guys very well in lethbridge. I shot my best and was happy with second place.
On another note I think the BCAA has to look at the Hunter class. I don't understand how people who have been shooting for a lot of years are allowed to still shoot this class. It was my understanding that this class was for new shooters so why are guys who are long term shooters and even on the executive of BCAA still shooting in this class ?? Just doesn't seem ethical to me. MIKE
PS there is a carp in the Sumas canal that has to be huge as it scared the beejeezus out of a lot of shooters.

Bow Walker
07-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Congrats Mike - 2nd ain't too shabby old feller! Have a "pop" on me.

sealevel
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Mike you are nicer than me i called it the sand bagger class . I just can`t beleave that the second and third finishers of the sand bagger class got on the team and bernie and keven didn`t get on .

Kirby
07-05-2006, 06:48 PM
And yet again school had to come first:mad: . Definatly hurting on the 3-d shoots this year. Glad you guys had a good time. Maybe I'll win the lottery, then I can shoot them all next year.:rolleyes:

Kirby

oldtimer
07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Merv. as you get older you get more politically correct but you are right. There is NO WAY that ANYBODY in the bowhunter class should be chosen over the caliber of shooter that either Bernie or Kevin are This should be to choose the best team for B.C. not to satisfy the executive of the BCAA.
HELL'S BELLS I can't figure out why the shooter that had the highest score of the weekend and was the only shooter to score a perfect 200 doesn't get sponsored because he was under 18. I will encourage his mom and dad to make sure when and if he wins in Lethbridge it is clear he is not associated with the BCAA. Mike

PGKris
07-05-2006, 08:06 PM
HELL'S BELLS I can't figure out why the shooter that had the highest score of the weekend and was the only shooter to score a perfect 200 doesn't get sponsored because he was under 18. I will encourage his mom and dad to make sure when and if he wins in Lethbridge it is clear he is not associated with the BCAA. Mike

This is what has annoyed me for the last, oh say, 12 years I've been shooting. Wait, that's been my whole junior career. They won't sponsor a junior under 18 to be on a provincial team. (*%&^$%$##$!!!
I don't shoot competitively anymore. Mainly cause of no time and no money. Everyone got too high-tech and my 8 bucks an hour couldnt keep up :mrgreen: Hope ya'll had fun. Last time I shot 3D provincials was in....03? I think.
Kris

xtremearchery
07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
It was a good shoot !! I would question anybody saying there was 200 shooters. I shot in the Masters ( 60+ category ) and had a great time against Wayne Lougheed who shot awesome and will represent us old guys very well in lethbridge. I shot my best and was happy with second place.
On another note I think the BCAA has to look at the Hunter class. I don't understand how people who have been shooting for a lot of years are allowed to still shoot this class. It was my understanding that this class was for new shooters so why are guys who are long term shooters and even on the executive of BCAA still shooting in this class ?? Just doesn't seem ethical to me. MIKE
PS there is a carp in the Sumas canal that has to be huge as it scared the beejeezus out of a lot of shooters.
Hi there,

Just so you know, Hunter class is not for beginners. The class is for anyone who shot fixed pin release. To qualify for hunter class you are only allowed to have 4" fletch, 4 pins, under a 12" stabelizer and draw weigth under 80 lbs. The new catagories messed up alot of archers. These class changes where brought into effect just weeks before the shoot. These are the new Canadian FCC class rules. There where a total of 197 shooters. 99 in which where BCAA registered competitive shooters.

Mark Porter
Abbotsford Club

willyqbc
07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Mark, I will have to disagree with you. I believe hunter class was designed as a recruitment tool for people who are new to 3D shooting, not neccesarily to archery. That is why the equipment requirements mirror most hunting set-ups...to encourage hunters to come out with the gear they have and not feel like they cannot be competitive. It is because this is a "beginners" category that the following FCA rule was put in place along with the creation of the category.

"A competitor may compete in the HUN class provided he/she has not won in this class in a previous year at either the FCA Indoor or Outdoor 3D Canadian Championships." taken directly from the FCA rule book.

Why can you win MBR or MBO year after year after year, but can only win Hunter class once???? ...because if your good enough to win it, its time to move up.

Unfortunately the handicapping system for team selection allows a 5% advantage for the hunter class over the MBO and MBR classes. Now when you have very good and seasoned shooters who previously always shot in the MBR class switching over and moving 10 yards closer with nearly identical equipment and arrow speeds it is no wonder that the top 3 in that class qualified for the team when two fellows like Bernie and Kevin did not,even though they put up scores that were beyond unbelieveably good. doesn't seem quite right to me.
Perhaps what needs to happen to illustrate this point is next year I should organize Bernie, Kevin, Will Dueck, Jess Bennett, myself and other top mens shooters I'm sure i'm forgetting and flood the hunter class. It would become very obvious that these very experienced fellows do not belong in Hunter class.
In closing I think that if the hunter class were used as I believe it was intended it could become a great recruitment tool allowin new 3D'ers to come out the first year or 2 without feeling intimidated by having to shoot against the "big guns".

Just my opinion
Chris

PGKris
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
What about guys like me Chris? I haven't been able to compete at your guy's level for a number of reasons. I've shot the hunter class before just to be able to compete against less people and people more at my own skill level. Pay my tuition and I'll step up and give you a run for your money.
I do not, however, like the handicapping system. The top shooters are obviously the ones competeing in MBO and MBR so why should anyone in the hunter class even be able to qualify? If it's purpose is indeed to attract new competitors, what would be the point of taking these "newbies" and throwing them at a national competition. IMO, the hunter class should be competitive at the provincial level, but if you want to compete for the national team, you must shoot MBR or MBO. {Concerning those categories only. Don't want to PO the other guys :D }

willyqbc
07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Kris, your situation is another great use for the hunter class. An archers thats kind of been away from the sport for a while due to other commitments and wants to get going again...hunter class is a great way to get back into things with less pressure and closer distances to help rebuild your confidence. Your situation is a far cry from that of several fellows past and present who have been shooting hunter class. One example for you.....the fellow who took 3rd in the MBR category in Abbotsford won the Hunter class at nationals last year or the year before (can't recall which). Another example...the fellow who won hunter class in Abby this year is a gentleman who I have shot with several times and i would consider him in the top 5 pinshooters in the province right now. Why shooters of this calibre choose to step up 10 yards and shoot what most would consider an "easier" category is a mystery to me but too each his own and I will not question another archers motivation for choosing the category that suits them best. BUT.....I will question it when shooters of this calibre are being allowed a 5% handicap and 10 yard advantage over the MBO and MBR when it comes to team selection. This 5 % is an interesting figure when if you take the avg scores for the top 3 places at nationals for the last 4 years in Hunter class you will come up with 92.1% shooting versus 92.3% for the MBR category over the same period...yet we give them a 5% advantage when it comes time for team selection. In my research I have found many other inconsistancies in the selection percentages so I am putting together a proposal for the BCAA that I hope will level the playing feild so that all our shooters have a fair shot at making the provincial team. Bottom line for me is that with the shorter distances and lower handicap the category was obviously not intended for shooters the calibre of Bernie, Kevin, Will etc. etc, or the handicap would be higher. So when you have shooters of that calibre shooting it, it skews the selection process making it quite unfair. It probably won't be until after nationals but when i finish my proposal I will post it here for input.

again...just my opinion
Chris

PGKris
07-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Even shooting the hunter class, I still shot from orange stakes. I don't want the shorter distances. I still like shooting the long ones, I just dont have the time to key in and shoot 3-4 times a week anymore. I've basically decided that I don't like the way the BCAA has been running things (the classic southern emphasis on everything when the best archers are obviously in the north) and that I'm not going to compete at any level anymore. Most of my emphasis now is on hunting. I'll show up at a shoot just to have some friendly competition now and then if I have time but it'll be a long time coming before I step back up.
Kris

Bow Walker
07-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Chris........I for one (also I am sure many others) will be looking forward to your proposal. It is something that has been over looked up to now. It may be time for the BCAA to have representattion form the grass roots level. Maybe past time?

sealevel
07-07-2006, 04:54 AM
lets not bash the bcaa to bad as the people running it are voluntiers. maybe its time to get more people involved at the grassroots level.

willyqbc
07-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Please don't take my posts as bashing the BCAA..... i simply don't agree with this particular process and I am willing to offer up an alternative for them to consider.

Chris

Bow Walker
07-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Chris, I for one don't take what you have written here as bashing. Comments like that are points of view and the fact that you have an alternative to the "problem" is all to the good.

I expect that is what the volunteers are looking for, is constructive input. At least they should be.

Dan.

sealevel
07-07-2006, 04:03 PM
i in know means ment you chris it was pointed at me as much as anyone.

jessbennett
07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
hunter class here i come.......JUst kidden...(Ithink)hehehe

jessbennett
07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Chris I read your proposal and i think its good. lets hope the commoners get heard.:wink: . as for hunter class. the people in hunters class are more than capable of doing well in a regular class.and to be in say a spot shoot and shoot basically the same eqipment as me and be put 10 yards or so closer to the target?????show me the money i say. i dunno not trying to put down the class at all, i just think it is being used quite incorrectly. im just wondering if i could compete in hunter class and do okay?:wink:

willyqbc
07-10-2006, 03:37 PM
believe me Jess, your not the only one considering making that move. Specially if there is a spot shoot involved.

Chris

sealevel
07-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Well i will take the high road and stay shooting from the orange stakes . At least tell i am as old as oldtimer.:razz::razz:

oldtimer
07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
People think I didn't go in the spot shoot because there was too many good shooters and I didn't think it would be worthwhile. WRONG !! I do not believe anybody should have a 10 yard advantage when shooting for money, I thought it was wrong and told them so and chose not to support it. In the Broken Arrow shoots we have everybody shoot from the same stake , compounds that is.
As for hunter class I still think it is being taken advantage of. Now some people will say "well what about the master's class you shot from " Age is a huge difference compared to equipment. Maybe the Masters could be a bit older but that is not my call and when I am 65 or 70 I don't want to be shooting against some young 50 year old let alone the young guns.
As GreyBark told me , " if you don't support your class they will do away with it " and I couldn't agree more.
As long as I can handle the ribbing from everybody about " shooting from the woosy stakes" I will continue to support MY class. Mike

Bow Walker
07-11-2006, 04:51 PM
[quote=As long as I can handle the ribbing from everybody about " shooting from the woosy stakes" I will continue to support MY class. Mike[/quote]

And thas's just the kind of guy you are Mike.........

Classy.:wink: