PDA

View Full Version : Spring set-ups.

Mr. Dean
02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Come Feb 10th (Thursday), I'll be laid out in a field, somewhere, waiting for my limit of Canada Geese, to plummet from the sky's. :mrgreen:

I was wondering if anyone would share on what an early, spring season spread should look like? I've got 4 dozen shells.
Also, I have 1 doz Snow's,,,, would it be beneficial to mix these in, or would it be a detriment?

Thanks
Dean.

warnniklz
02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I find the geese flock up into pretty large numbers. So you'll need a lot of decoys to suck them it. The more the merrier. In the winter I stick with a few sentries and lots of feeders/resters. In the spring I bring out the works. I even put a duck here and there.

I haven't tried blending snows and canadas... someone else is bound to answer that for you though.

Crazy_Farmer
02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Early spring they should still be grouped together, so big spreads are good. The further you get into the spring season they start pairing up and your spread can get smaller and smaller. Hell by the end of it a handful of decoys can be the answer.

As to the snow question depends what they are used to. Could work for visibility or may make the geese land further in the field. Try it and see what happens.

Mr. Dean
02-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks Gent's.

I went out for a cruise today. I saw LARGE flocks flying about but the ones I found on the ground, were clustered in small gatherings of up to 30 or so. All were large honks with some 'mediums' in the mix; didn't see not one, sub-midget sized, PITA, neurotic, "what should we do,,,,what should we do???", "where are our meds?", cackler - GOOD!

Kill on, come Thursday. :evil:

warnniklz
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
I work thursday friday... so I'm all fired up for saturday!! I'll be out Langley! I'm looking forward to goose chilli and goose spaghetti sauce!

Mr. Dean
02-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I work thursday friday... so I'm all fired up for saturday!! I'll be out Langley! I'm looking forward to goose chilli and goose spaghetti sauce!

You'll be to late.
Come Saturday afternoon, you'll WISH you called in a 'Personal Day'. :mrgreen:

CurryNV
02-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Went out Thursday. Didn't see a single goose. Having said that, I was awful close to Boundary Bay. Going out again in a few hours. Is this a wast of time?

warnniklz
02-14-2011, 08:22 AM
You'll be to late.
Come Saturday afternoon, you'll WISH you called in a 'Personal Day'. :mrgreen:

SAturday I didn't get anything... Sunday I got 3. I should have limited out but I was shooting like shit. I packed it up at noon when it started to rain.

Mr. Dean
02-14-2011, 09:01 AM
SAturday I didn't get anything... Sunday I got 3. I should have limited out but I was shooting like shit. I packed it up at noon when it started to rain.

I hear your PAIN!

Between Thursday's ALL DAY hunt and a couple hours Friday morning, I *should've* had 4, super-sized honkers on the ground (2 each from day). The two I missed on Friday is unforgivable...

While I didn't see a ton of birds, I did get decent action; There were a few lg herds of lessers and cacklers that spooked off as soon as they got on top of me (poof), and the lg honkers trickled in, in groups of 2-12... the trouble I was having was that the bulk landed outside of gun range. I figured this was due to the clear skies and frost on my dekes... Another thing I realized was that my goose flag SCREAMS when its hit with direct sun too (camo'd back side).

I went out on Sunday and set the spread out in 'clusters' of 2-5 dekes using all that I had..... Not a bird showed up to the party. Nuthin was flying, except for a bazillion gulls.

warnniklz
02-14-2011, 09:17 AM
The worst part is I could hear geese on the north side of the river. I think they were paired up and nesting. So if a pair or single came in low and quietly I wouldn't always hear or see them (you know, BSing with your hunting partner doesn't help). Then you see them at 30 yards only 6 feet off the ground and I'd miss those prime shots.

I think ducks got a copy of the regs. They were up and buzzing around all over the place. I also seen a couple of deer at the end of 108th.

warnniklz
02-14-2011, 09:18 AM
sorry I mean 208th, not 108th

Mr. Dean
02-14-2011, 09:54 AM
The worst part is I could hear geese on the north side of the river. I think they were paired up and nesting. So if a pair or single came in low and quietly I wouldn't always hear or see them (you know, BSing with your hunting partner doesn't help). Then you see them at 30 yards only 6 feet off the ground and I'd miss those prime shots.

I think ducks got a copy of the regs. They were up and buzzing around all over the place. I also seen a couple of deer at the end of 108th.

Yeah, all my honks came in low, too, and made notta peep.
Ducks were EVERYWHERE on Thursday and Friday but zippy on Sundays hunt.

I wish I knew where the switch is located, then I could see if its 'on or off'. :lol:

Foxton Gundogs
02-15-2011, 11:22 AM
NO!!! frustration is BBQing on the deck and being taunted by flocks of 100s ALMOAST low enuf to pluck out of the sky with BBQ tongs. THEN have them leave the marsh on opening day low over your blind in the dark GRRRR. Got a few dispite their best effort, the dogs were happy and a bad day in the blind is FAR better than a good day at work.
GOOD SHOOTING ALL!

Mr. Dean
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
There is NEVER a bad day hunting.

I'm new to waterfowling (1st season) and am liking the challenges of it. I have to admit, though,,,, I didn't realize just how steep the learning curve is. And that, makes it even better. :wink:

Foxton Gundogs
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Started shooting ducks in Ladner tidal flats at 8 with a cutdown Greener double now 50 years latter I'm still slidding on the learning curve its 1/2 the fun.
Enjoy

f350ps
02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
I hear your PAIN!

Between Thursday's ALL DAY hunt and a couple hours Friday morning, I *should've* had 4, super-sized honkers on the ground (2 each from day). The two I missed on Friday is unforgivable...

While I didn't see a ton of birds, I did get decent action; There were a few lg herds of lessers and cacklers that spooked off as soon as they got on top of me (poof), and the lg honkers trickled in, in groups of 2-12... the trouble I was having was that the bulk landed outside of gun range. I figured this was due to the clear skies and frost on my dekes... Another thing I realized was that my goose flag SCREAMS when its hit with direct sun too (camo'd back side).

I went out on Sunday and set the spread out in 'clusters' of 2-5 dekes using all that I had..... Not a bird showed up to the party. Nuthin was flying, except for a bazillion gulls.
Are you setting up on or near a ditch line or hedgerow? If you're going to leave your decoys out overnight flip them over and that'll keep the frost off. K

Mr. Dean
02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
I normally don't leave em' out but as I was gunnin' solo, I thought it a good idea when I was out scouting the day before. It would save me an hour, easy, come morning.... It was DEFINATELY a decision that bit me in the ass.

CurryNV
02-17-2011, 01:37 AM
I'm certain the ducks are MAKING the regs. Everywhere. Wandering around with total immunity.

Went out to Pitt Lake. Couldn't see a bird. Tons in the berry patch out that way though.

Anybody see anything in Lander/Delta?

Dutch
02-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Was out scouting saturday and this morning ,saw a couple small flocks in east Delta ,some in a closed area near mud bay, and this morn. Langley Sumas saw 4 pairs and a small flock of lessers ,great week so far to have off:-?:-?

Steeleco
02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Came across these birds yesterday on the way home from a morning trying with Mr.Dean No birds taken, but a good time all the same.
This in only one quarter of the birds on the diamond. Just off McClure in Abby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/IMG_4090.jpg

Neat how the two at the back are looking out for all the others.
Learning all the time!!!

Mr. Dean
02-22-2011, 12:06 AM
^^^
We should set up there.......