PDA

View Full Version : Elk early season in reg. 4

pupper
07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Just wondering who is all planning to go off to the kootenays for the early elk season this year.

I also wanted this to be a story board of some of the previous elk bowhunts in the kootenays. Feel free to give an in depth detail of where you shot your elk and where you are hunting this year:mrgreen:. If you want to of course.

Ron.C
07-03-2006, 12:32 PM
This will be our 5th year heading out to region 4. Last year was the first year we were successful for elk " 1 bull, 1 cow". Lots of them around though. I hope the regs allow us to harvest cows again during the archery season. I don't want to say exactly where we hunt, but it seems like the elk numbers are up everywhere. If I had to say what we did different last year that made the greatest difference in our success, it would have to be cow calling alot more, and not being afraid to try new areas when old ones aren't producing.

JohnS
07-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I hope they don't let cows to be taken agian this year... IMO and me is a Bow Hunter also......

BCLongshot
07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
How come Venom too many being taken?

brotherjack
07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
There are a LOT of elk in Region 4 this year. It's rare these days when I take a drive down a forrestry road and don't see an elk. That is a BIG change from 5 years ago when I moved here, and even seeing a cow elk was a rare treat.

I'm expecting this upcoming elk season to be fantastic. :)

FullDraw
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Not me we have a new baby, maybe next year I'll get up their for a elk hunt.
FullDraw

Shop Lord
07-04-2006, 08:34 AM
I'd like to head over there for the bow season but I'm waiting to see the leh results before making any definite plans. I think its any elk again this year, the regs go until the end of 06.

270WIN
07-04-2006, 08:41 AM
This will be our 5th year heading out to region 4. Last year was the first year we were successful for elk " 1 bull, 1 cow". Lots of them around though. I hope the regs allow us to harvest cows again during the archery season. I don't want to say exactly where we hunt, but it seems like the elk numbers are up everywhere. If I had to say what we did different last year that made the greatest difference in our success, it would have to be cow calling alot more, and not being afraid to try new areas when old ones aren't producing.

Well just a heads up the cow season is open I got a copie of the new reg last thursday. my dad is a printer and we get them hot off the press so to say.

greybark
07-04-2006, 08:47 AM
:-) Hey Fulldraw , Don`t worry about missing Elk season . Your new Baby girl is worth every Elk in the province !!!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

FullDraw
07-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Greybark your right next year we will plan a elk hunt for sure!

FullDraw

BlacktailStalker
07-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I would LOVE to go if I had someone who was a hard core bowhunter to make the trip with. If I had the knowledge of the area to be in, I'd consider a solo trip as well. For the guys who take opportunity of this amazing opportunity, what areas do you like to focus on ? To me an elk with the bow would be the ultimate thrill in hunting and nothing could top that, well, maybe a bighorn, or a grizz... Definitely a MUST DO either way !

Gateholio
07-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I'd like to head over there for the bow season but I'm waiting to see the leh results before making any definite plans. I think its any elk again this year, the regs go until the end of 06.

I guess you better start making plans, Mr NIL:mrgreen:

sealevel
07-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I would sure like to but this hot dry weather might play hell on hunting on sept. 1

pupper
07-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Looks like I will be definitely going since I didnt get drawn for moose, Its my only hope at a gigantic deer type animal.

Ddog
07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
i think that all of you that are planning to come here to region 4 might be making a mistake, it is a hot dry season here and there are no ELK to be found!!!

rocksteady
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Already booked the holidaze with the boss....August 31st til at least the 10th......

pupper
07-06-2006, 07:26 AM
i think that all of you that are planning to come here to region 4 might be making a mistake, it is a hot dry season here and there are no ELK to be found!!!

I'll take my chances, thanks for your concern though.:mrgreen:

yote
07-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Since I got nill on the LEH, we had to decide on plan "b" and I just got the ok for the time off to do an early archery hunt there. I can't wait, I have been there a few times and we always enjoy ourselves. We haven't connected with bow, but have taken a nice calf with rifle after the archery season, with LTD entry. I can't leave until Thursday night, so save a one for me. Lot's of deer there too for collateral damage. ;-)

Brambles
07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
I'll be headed out for a 4 day hunt for archery elk, I have a few little spots lined up so I'm not too concerned about seeing elk. I'm torn between taking a cow for great meat or a bull for good meat and some antlers. I like antlers:mrgreen: We'll see what opportunity shows itself.

Ron.C
07-06-2006, 07:41 PM
I hear ya,

I need to get a few more elk under my belt before I start getting too picky. But I do agree, some antlers would sure be nice...:wink:

nykoma
07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
hopping over the pass agian this year, try out the early season with the bow:mrgreen:

yote
07-07-2006, 08:06 AM
If a cow walks under my stand, I'll take her. Pretty simple. Where I go I get a lot of pressuer to take one out as they are a nuisance. I am more than happy to oblige. The problem for me is that the LEH folks can use rifle at that time and the elk get stirred up pretty good early in the game.

bighornbob
07-07-2006, 08:33 AM
The hunting regs just came out and the anterless season is restricted to the low elevation areas along the Kootenay river. Just like the LEH areas.

Hope this doesn't screw up anyones plans.

BHB

yote
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Still good for me. Where'd you get the regs????

Ron.C
07-07-2006, 05:06 PM
The new regs are posted on the Fish and wildlife Branch website.

oldtimer
07-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Chris and I went over there last year and never saw or heard any animals. The locals said they would still be WAY UP TOP. way too early I think and way too far to drive. Mike

yote
07-11-2006, 10:04 AM
It really depends on how hot it is and how much rain there was. We find that where we go, they tend to come out of the hills to graze the alfalfa. The problem is the LEH holders that can shoot rifle at the same time as we are bow hunting. It gets the herds out of thier normal patterns and sometimes they get quite skiddish.

Kody94
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Chris and I went over there last year and never saw or heard any animals. The locals said they would still be WAY UP TOP. way too early I think and way too far to drive. Mike

Not that I am looking to increase the pressure on the elk over here, but I have to say that the locals you talked to are full of BS. :) There are lots of resident elk (aka homesteader elk) that live along the Kootenay River, year-round. You just need to know where to look, and in most cases where to get permission.

Cheers,
Canuck