PDA

View Full Version : Help for a new archery hunter

Dad and son
06-30-2006, 07:12 AM
I can tell that many of you bowhunters are very experienced. I would appreciate some advice. I am an experienced rifle hunter but have not hunted with bow before. I hunt with my 2 kids age 11 and 13 who have shot deer and bear before with a rifle. I recently bought a crossbow- a Ten Point Elite Qx4. I am very impressed with this crossbow as my 11 year old hit the bulls eye at 25 yards after his 3rd shot.
1)hunting arrrows - the crossbow came with 10 point HEA-610.6 pro elite premium hunter carbon 22/64 20" sb CAP with 100gr broadheads. These numbers mean nothing to me but that is what is on the package. My 2 questions. Are these good quality arrows suitable for hunting and if so on what animals. I plan to bow hunt deer, elk and moose this fall? Second, as I only have 6 arrows, I plan to buy some more arrows, what arrows would you recomend I buy?

2) my next question is more of a personal question: I think I plan to buy another bow or crossbow because there will be 3 hunters and only one weapon this fall. Do you think I should buy a bow or a crossbow? 5 years from now will I regret having 2 crossbows? Do people find the bow more of a challenge hunting? I bought the crossbow because I wanted something the kids could be accurate with fairly easily. If I bought another crossbow, what would you suggest I buy? If I bought a bow, what would you suggest? Also keep in mind that my kids would be the primary users of these weapons. I think a big advantage of buying another crossbow is not having to buy more arrows or other associated archery equipment. I also tend to prefer to buy the higher quality equipment because I know it will perform better and last longer.
Thanks for your help
Glenn

Walksalot
06-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Personally, if I had the time to dedicate to practice I would be using a traditional bow but I don't so I use a compound. I have tried a crossbow once and while it is nice I wouldn't trade my compound for a crossbow unless an injury dictated the switch.
If it is simply convenience and you don't have the time to practice then stick with the crossbow but if you have the time the compound is the way to go, in my opinion. It is a great stress releiver to head to the range and fling arrows. Developing ones form is a challange and requires practce but is very satisfying when it all comes together.
Having said that, I have shot with tradition shooters who put me and my compound to shame but these guys are dedicated to practice. It takes a huge commitment to practice to become and continure to be a good instinctive shooter.

Fred
06-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Can your sons pull a compound of 45+ pounds? If that is doubtful at this time then it might be best to get another crossbow identicle to the one you have. This will obviate sibling rivalry. It will also give you a better control over needed or wanted add-ons.
Many of the crossbow users have also found that bolts that are about 2 to 4 inches over stock work better than the ones supplied with the crossbow, no matter which one it is.
By going to a good archery shop you can get bolts that are similar or better than the ones you now have but keep in mind that arrows and bolts are like cartridges, some work better than others and one must retune the weapon every time a new component is added or altered.
Other than that, it is just plain fun! :mrgreen: Fred

greybark
06-30-2006, 07:43 PM
:smile: Hey Dad , Take your sons to a 3-d shoot , Perhapes they will answer most of your questions . You can check Boormans in New West for a calender . Most squads would welcome you to join them for their round .
;-) Good compounds are reasonably priced and is most of what their peers will be shooting , This would provide some flexability in your case . As your boys grow they will become stronger and their draw length will lenghten , Compounds are easily adjusted to this . They still have your crossbow to fall back on .
You have quite a problem ahead of you but it is a pleasent one .
Good luck to all three of you ..

Remember -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

bowhunter4life
07-12-2006, 03:25 PM
well like greybark said you have a problem but it is a good one

personaly i like compound bows over crossbows i find them to have more satisfaction when you get a deer over a crossbow because all the trainging pays off ,compared to a crossbow where you can learn to shoot good with in all of 20 minutes

compound bows are just more fun in my opinion

happy trails to you and your sons:D

Fred
07-13-2006, 12:38 AM
well like greybark said you have a problem but it is a good one

personaly i like compound bows over crossbows i find them to have more satisfaction when you get a deer over a crossbow because all the trainging pays off ,compared to a crossbow where you can learn to shoot good with in all of 20 minutes

compound bows are just more fun in my opinion

happy trails to you and your sons:D

You could like get the hang of a crossbow in 20 minutes but then you are already an archer. These things are not as easy as some people think. They are a type of bow and shoot short arrows. They have all of the attendent problems that a normal bow has. Fred

Onesock
07-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Because one can hit a bulls eye at 20 yards, don't think you are ready to hunt game. Bowhunting is far and away more complicated than hitting a bulls eye. I say it is great to have you aboard with your kids, but even with a crossbow many, many hours of practice are required. Judging distance in unfamiliar territory is not easy. Good luck.

Onesock
07-13-2006, 08:22 AM
I forgot to mention to you that all three of you should enroll in the Bowhunter education course in your area when it is offered.

FullDraw
07-13-2006, 09:38 AM
I just finished taking the IBEP course thought it was worth it and would recommend it as well.

FullDraw