PDA

View Full Version : New Mallard Decoys... any suggestions plz

fowlweather
01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
for the past 5 years i have been using some cheap crappy flambeaus that are now almost completely all lost paint. i am looking for something that is very durable. i think i am going to go with G&H because from what i have heard they will never chip and look pretty good.
are these good? what do you think

http://www.ghdecoys.com/products.php?product=Standard-Stationary-Mallard

warnniklz
01-28-2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.greenheadgear.com/duck_decoys.html

got em in geese and ducks... they rule. Can get em out of cabela's and I think whole sale sports. Not sure which independents carry them.

NitwiT
01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
im aiming to pick up some new GHG decoys for this coming fall/winter. Best look to price ratio I've found so far.

longshot
01-28-2011, 10:32 PM
G&H are great deeks, especially when it comes to durability.

We only use GreenHeadGear decoys. I'd suggest looking at the various species of the GHG LS line of deeks. They look amazing for the price in my opinion. Wouldn't trade em' for anything else.

GHG deeks tend to be a little more delicate with the paint... but getting a slotted decoy bag insures you that the paint will stay with out chipping.

Cheers, Longshot jr.

Crazy_Farmer
01-28-2011, 10:45 PM
GHG deeks tend to be a little more delicate with the paint...

Thats like sugar coating a turd. Or just a nice way to say the paint will chip.

GHG is the best price per look out there. Over time the paint will chip,scratch and peel off. But its okay becuase they are so cheaply made over in China that you can pretty much buy a new dozen every season and wear them out and repeat.

You seem too of answered your own question, I'd go with the G&H, maybe not as stylish or carved as nice as other companies but their quality is better then ghgs.

longshot
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
An idea I had a while ago but I never tried it... what about applying a non-glaring clear coat to prevent chipping on decoys?? Do you guys think this would help the GHG deeks last longer??

fowlweather
01-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Well I am pretty sure they look good enough. I was able to put up good numbers of kills on ducks this year with all of my decoys being somewhat black from lack of paint or entirely black. I am pretty sure that i will go with the g&h dekes
In think it's too much hassle to buy new dekes every year.
I do agree that ghgs look nice but i beat the he'll out of mine and i don't want to waste time with single slot bags or the extra money and wasted space

As for how the decoys look. I saw a photo of how they looked from the water and unless looked at from cose they look good. Plus they are dead before they get a good look lol

blindman
01-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Since the season is over, I'd keep an eye out for used G&H decoys in Craigslist and other sources. Normally, the only wear spots on the decoys are the top of the heads and the bills. G&H sells a touch-up paint kit and you've got a lot of time to find decoys and get them ready.

lorneparker1
01-31-2011, 12:06 AM
I run all ghg's. alot of people have had trouble with the paint, however, my self and ALOT of my friends use almost all ghg's and never had a problem. Sure they will chip, so will g andh's if you beat on them. I am super hard on gear as well. I mean you can buy 4 dozen hotbuys, that will all fit ina decoy bag for $100. IMO you cant go wrong. after a few years and the paint is f'd paint them as divers and go buy another 4 dozen. lol. I use lifesizes for the boat. Touching up paint and flocking is a part of the off season :)

Lorne

fowlweather
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
hmm i will consider it... what is the difference in paint quality between the hot buys and the life size hunter series?

longshot
01-31-2011, 07:19 PM
hmm i will consider it... what is the difference in paint quality between the hot buys and the life size hunter series?

I've had both, and paint quality is the same. The LS series have better poses and are more realistic in size.

The HotBuys are great deeks, but seem a little small in size. They certainly killed us a lot of birds though!!

Matty_ola
01-31-2011, 07:23 PM
FYI The Hotbuys and on for 34.99/Doz at cabelas.ca

Ian F.
02-01-2011, 06:55 AM
GHG's are great decoys, especially for the money. There are several "versions" of their Hot buys. A trip to Wholesale in Burlington will save you a lot of money, or have them shipped to one of the postal outlets across the line.

I grew up on Carry-lites and it's funny in the days before the internet and everything made in China we just put up with paint coming off, replaced, touched up or just tolerated. There isn't a decoy made that will keep its paint forever. My trick is pretty simple, take care of your gear!

Ian