PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question

FlyingHigh
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Ok, here we go. my first major newbie question. sighting in a rifle. how do we do it? and what's the typical procedure?

Steeleco
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
If you have a bore sighter it will help to shorten the process, if not!!

Set up targets at 25yds
Take the shoots needed to get the rifle on center at 25 yds
Move some targets out to 100 yds and repeat the process.

Personally I set my rifles up at about 2 to 2.5 inches high at 100 yds to compensate for bullets drop at greater distances. Everyone's different!!

Depending on where you live, I may be able to help you with the boresigther.

CanAm500
06-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Set up targets at 25yds
Take the shoots needed to get the rifle on center at 25 yds
Move some targets out to 100 yds and repeat the process.

Thats what I am doing this weekend with my new 30-06 :)

Hanrahan
06-29-2006, 02:20 PM
If you don't have a bore sighter you can just (depending on the gun) take out the bolt so you can see straight down the barrel. I've found that even ballparking that way will get you on the paper and save a few bullets.

FlyingHigh
06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
the bore sighter's not a problem. i have access to one. i guess my question is more so how to sight in a scope, using the little dial things on the scope.

kishman
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I think most scopes adjust 1/4 inch at 100 yards per click of the dial, there should be an arrow with an L or R for windage and a U or D for vertical.
Good luck!

FlyingHigh
06-29-2006, 05:54 PM
thanks guys. that helps alot. now i gotta go out and try it.

ryanb
06-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Once you're on the paper, fire 3 shots at the target then take the centre of the 3 shots as the point of impact and adjust the scope accordingly, then fire 3 more shots to make sure its where you want it, if not adjust and repeat.

reach
06-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Once you're on the paper, fire 3 shots at the target then take the centre of the 3 shots as the point of impact and adjust the scope accordingly, then fire 3 more shots to make sure its where you want it, if not adjust and repeat.

Do you need to wait a while in between groups for the barrel to cool down? If so, how long do you wait?

Steeleco
06-29-2006, 10:02 PM
You should wait for a while, how long depends on the day, gun and other such things. If it's cool to the touch it should be OK. Remember too that if the bore has been cleaned since your last firing, the first one or two will be flyers.

I usually just blast the first two to burn off the cleaning soulution and any oils that remain.

I usually blast the 10-22 while the rifle(s) are cooling.

OH one other thing, if your sighting in just before a hunting trip, it's a good idea to clean the bore at the range, then fire the two "seasoning" rounds I mentioned, that way the POI shouldn't change. The next time you fire it, it might just be at game, and you don't need a flyer then!!!

kishman
07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Thats realy good advice Steeleco thanks, I'm heading out today to sight in my new (to me:mrgreen: ) .30/06, it's a Belgian made Browning and I've got an old Redfield 6x42 for the top:smile: , so now once I'm centered I'll clean it at the range and fire a couple off before I put 'er away--that the idea?
Thanks for helping us "noobs"

Hank Hunter
07-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Almost right bud, clean your gun and put it away clean. I think steeleco meant before you shoot again either at the range and especially if you are going hunting blast a shot or two to foul the barrel. Welcome to the club

Hank Hunter
07-20-2006, 11:22 PM
And this forum is to help people, we all started the same way

bochunk2000
07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
OH one other thing, if your sighting in just before a hunting trip, it's a good idea to clean the bore at the range, then fire the two "seasoning" rounds I mentioned, that way the POI shouldn't change. The next time you fire it, it might just be at game, and you don't need a flyer then!!! __________________

Thanks Steelco I didn't think of that part.