PDA

View Full Version : Whisker Biscuit woes

Stone Sheep Steve
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Howdy- I'm new to the archery game and just picked up an old bow and had a shop set me up with new accesseries. It shot great through paper right off the bat.

Problem-I've shot maybe 10 rounds of arrows and I've peeled off one fletching off most of the arrows. They're plastic(vinyl?) vanes. Do most of you have to switch over to feathers with the biscuit?? Or is there possibly another issue here. The Easton Carbonaeroes were fletched by the shop. Type of adhesive??
Thanks
SSS

Bow Walker
06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Rather than switch to feathers which are considerably slower, I'd look at switching to a Drop Away rest.

Something like the Safari Twister from APA. No fletching contact, total containment of the arrow (important when hunting), and no contact with the arrow after you release it.

JMHO.

JohnS
06-28-2006, 05:28 PM
If You get a drop away rest it will save your Vanes, leave the feather's to the birds they suck..... use a trophy taker drop away and you will never have a problem again and easy to tune also......

bsa30-06
06-28-2006, 06:21 PM
I use a whisker biscuit rest and have shot hundreds of arrows thru it and have never had a vane come off.All my vanes have a small dab of glue at the end of the vane you might want to try that , before switching rests.

sealevel
06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
i have never had any luck with arrows fletched buy a shop. The only way to get good arrows is to make them yourself . i like the trophy taker to !but if you can make that WB work for you its a great hunting rest.

bsa30-06
06-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Boormans in new west, did my arrows and told me about putting a little dab of glue at the end of the vane.So far non have come loose or fallen off.

pupper
06-28-2006, 08:01 PM
I too have shot many arrows out of my biscuit with no problems at all.

what are some of the other problems people have with them?

Justin

sealevel
06-28-2006, 08:18 PM
For some reason i just could not tune my bow to shoot broadheads with the WB . When i went back to the TT it was tuned in a dozen shots. I think it was just my shooting stile cause my friend could shoot it real good . And i out shot him always.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Since it's a bit of a clunker old bow I'll stay away from the expensive rests for now. Once I know how committed I can be to the sport, I'll upgrade my bow and gear later. For now, I'll try the glue on the end of the vane and then try feathers if that doesn't work. The adhesive on there right now seems a little "gummy" so that might be the problem.
Any recommendations for adhesives?? A friend recommended a Lock-Tite glue but I can't remember the name.

Thanks Gentlemen!
SSS

BC4Bowhunter
06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
I installed lots of wiskerbiscuits on many bows never had a tuning issue however your form and follow through is more critical using a biscuit because the biscuit is contacting the arrow as it leaves the bow. As for fletching issues I use loctite superglue and put a dab on the front of the vane and the back , never had one come off yet even with a biscuit.

Fred
06-28-2006, 10:28 PM
I too use a WB rest and have not had a problem with vanes. I use NPV by Saunders to fletch my own as well. I got a couple of arrows done up by a local shop and they weren't glued on straight/equidistant and I figured that I couldn't do much worse, and I haven't! ;-) Fred

Stone Sheep Steve
06-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Technique is a definite possibility as I am a novice archer. It's been the bottom vane on every arrow. The bow was tuned and checked by the shop owner and shot perfect right away. We may have had different results if I was shooting.
I'll try to get one of my experienced friends to scrutinize my technique. In the meanwhile it looks like I'll have to get set up to do my own fletching so I can keep shooting. It's a little frustrating running out of arrows when I'm chomping at the bit to improve:neutral: .............

SSS

Bow Walker
06-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I too have a Trophy Taker fallaway. It (IMO) makes far too much noise to be any good for hunting. The forks can be quieted but he arm itself falls with way too much noise. :frown:

It hits the body of the rest and the area is so small that it is too hard to get any fleece of rubber in there to quiet it.

Trophy Takers are great for 3D but for hunting I go back to my APA Safari Twister.:-P

As always - Just One Man's Opinion.:!:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Problem resolved:) .
I had the archery shop refletch my arrows but he rotated the nock so the cock feather was straight up. The bottom vane was brushing against metal bar on the bottom of the biscuit peeling that sucker off. I also went with a dab of glue on both ends of the vanes. Originally they were factory fletched-not done by the shop as I previously thought which may have made the situation worse.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

SSS

jessbennett
07-10-2006, 10:51 PM
oh good, that is what i was going to ask. if you were shooting cock vane up or not. also try spraying armor all on your vanes. it makes a huge difference. with my biscuit i did a lil experiment. if you hold your arrow by nock end close to your string, drop your arrow through the biscuit. i could be wrong, but im guessing the biscuit stopped the arrow at the vanes. now, try putting a thin coating of armor all on your vanes. try it again. your arrows should now just drop right through. i gained about 4 fps after doing this with my rig.. just give it a try.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2006, 07:12 AM
I aslo did the Armourall thing and was also told to sray the whiskers with a Silicone water-repellant spray. It helps to lube the whiskers and prevent them from freezing when they get wet.

SSS

Kody94
07-13-2006, 02:32 PM
I too have a Trophy Taker fallaway. It (IMO) makes far too much noise to be any good for hunting.

Trophy Takers are great for 3D but for hunting I go back to my APA Safari Twister.:-P

You might want to look at a Ripcord or QAD Ultra fall away. I am using a Ripcord and it is silent. My buddies QAD is a better design IMHO and is also silent.

FWIW,
4Ster