PDA

View Full Version : bushnell 4200 is it worth it?

speedbird
06-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Hello Eveyone,

Just wondering, is the Bushnell elite 4200 worth the extra money
compared to Elite 3200. I dont mind spending the extra money if there is added features that will make the scope worth another $200.00.

Let me know what you think.

Jamie:???:

Gateholio
06-24-2006, 09:54 AM
I've used both and I far prefer the 4200. The optics are much better:razz:

Triggerman
06-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Suggest going to your local dealer and looking through them both at dawn or dusk if possible.

Thunderstix
06-24-2006, 10:19 AM
I also believe they are worth it.

K-1
06-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Go with the best you can afford. When you spend all the time and money to go on a trip, the last thing you see before you pull the trigger is going to be through your scope. That is not the time to think "s--t I should have bought the other one".

speedbird
06-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Nicley put K_1.

Thanx

todbartell
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
get a Leupold, warranty work if needed is a breeze, and optics on the VXII are about as good as the 4200

rrfred
06-27-2006, 09:28 AM
got both- i'm with firebird

GoatGuy
06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
get a Leupold, warranty work if needed is a breeze, and optics on the VXII are about as good as the 4200

You got 'er buy a leupold and don't bother with bushnell.

brotherjack
06-27-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm sure Leupold's warranty service is awesome. However, having once used Bushnell's warranty service, I found them to be absolutely superb as well. If warranty service is your deciding factor, I wouldn't let that steer you away from Bushnell at all.

Also, I haven't used anything that's got it yet, but I hear the Bushnell Rainguard is the cat's meow for stopping your glass from fogging up too.

Schmaus
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I have both elite and leupold and I personally would not spend the extra money on a leupold again. I think there is more bang for your buck with bushnell and your just paying for the name leupold.

p.s if you want to see the bushnell really shine over the leupold go out in the rain.

GoatGuy
06-27-2006, 11:31 AM
I had a pair of B&L binos sent in that took 6 months to repair from bushnell. Glad they were my backup binos cause I missed spring bear and fall season.

Also had two of their rangefinders blow up on me. I have over $800 tied up in the 3 rangefinders I've had and sold the last one. Rather not have one than have a bushnell.

The 3200 that was mounted on my .338 blew up after one fall of guiding (fogged up on the inside). Mailed it in second week of December just after hunting season and got it back in April - only a couple weeks before a grizz hunt. To get it back that early I had to call/email bushnell Canada and had to call the rep for BC several times.

Leupold to me was 3 weeks in and out.

If you're hard on your gear and hunt a lot don't buy bushnell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brotherjack
06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
LOL - I guess I'm not hard on my gear, cuz I've never broke a scope or a pair of bino's - Bushnell's the lot of em. :)

The one time I had to deal with Bushnell customer service, was actually not their fault - vendor sold me a scope with a short parallax for air rifle use instead of one with a 100 yard parallax like he should have. I didn't even know what parallax was at the time, so I shipped it in to bushnell complaining about the focus problems. They politely informed me of my stupidity, expalined what parallax was and why I should care, and then shipped me a brand new (and slightly more expensive) scope with a 100 yard parallax. It did take about 8 weeks, all said and done. I was totally satisfied at the end of it though.

Deaddog
06-27-2006, 09:30 PM
I have had a pair of bushnell bino's fog up, and a very long wait and a hard time getting them repaired,as I did on my bushnell scope, using a leopold scope but have not had any problems , so can't comment on their service, using baush and Lomb (bushnell) binos now and have no problems with them, I believe it is all the luck of the draw as I am sure there are horror stories out there about Leopold to.

todbartell
06-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I had a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 I bought sight unseen used but great condition.

The crosshairs were uneven, so I sent it to Leupold warranty in Alberta. 3 weeks later I had it back, new reticle, no charge.

Did the same with a new VXIII that didnt seem all that clear. 3 weeks later it came back with a new objective lens installed, no charge.

Leupold! :smile: ;-)

twoSevenO
06-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm curious about this whole rainguard thing myself. Sure it makes sense and is probably usefull, but how many people actually go out hunting when it starts raining like a mother? Even if there are slight showers i wouldn't go. Maybe i'm just not hard core enough, but the last thing i would want is an expensive rifle getting all wet. (i don't care what kind of rifle you got ... rain and guns do NOT mix)

Ozone
06-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm curious about this whole rainguard thing myself. Sure it makes sense and is probably usefull, but how many people actually go out hunting when it starts raining like a mother? Even if there are slight showers i wouldn't go. Maybe i'm just not hard core enough, but the last thing i would want is an expensive rifle getting all wet. (i don't care what kind of rifle you got ... rain and guns do NOT mix)

You dont live on the Island do you. I find the worse the weather the more the deer are moving.

brotherjack
06-30-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm curious about this whole rainguard thing myself. Sure it makes sense and is probably usefull, but how many people actually go out hunting when it starts raining like a mother?

It's also supposed to keep it from fogging on cold days, which is what I would like.

Gateholio
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM

Rianguard works, i'd liek to see every scope/bino maker use the stuff.

As for hunitng in the rain? How can you avoid some sort of rain or adverse condiditons hunting in BC?

I have ZERO issues taking my rifle/scope binos/gearout in the pisssing rain or snowstorms. It may not be as pleasant as blue sky September hunting, but I know my gear will take it without a hiccup.:wink:

Gnarly
06-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Im with Gatehouse on this one , I have zero problems taking my walnut stocked , non stainless rifles out in the rain or banging them through the bush, here in the lower mainland you'd hardly go hunting if you waited for a nice day. Besides as previously mentioned nothing gets blacktails moving better than a scuddy ,low cloud ,rainy day. Oh yeah Ive never had a walnut stocked rifle shift zero on me yet or a blued barrel rust, its amazing what a little wipe with a rag and a bit of gun oil will prevent. Just to get it back on track , Ive got two 3200's and the rainguard works very well!

Elkhound
06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
but how many people actually go out hunting when it starts raining like a mother?

I'm sorry, I just find this pretty damn funny. I think I am out hunting blacktails here on the coast more days in the rain than when the weather is nice. It's a rain forest here.;-)

Bow Walker
06-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Where does everyone usually buy their optics?? Local? Mail Order?

I just bought a pair of binos from this place - check it out.

http://www.binocularscnada.com

Gateholio
06-30-2006, 03:12 PM
I just picked up a pair of Leica Ultravids for $1500CAN form Cameraland in NY.

They are demo models, but appear brand new, with warranty etc. Got aZiess spotter for about $1400CAN, too.

As far as I know, they dont' deal in scopes, though. I get FIrebird to buy me scopes fomr his sources, when I need a new scope.:smile:

The Hermit
10-15-2006, 11:14 AM
I had a B&L scope crap out on me while in the field. I sent it in on warranty and they gave me an upgraded Bushnell brand new... no charge. The turn around time was about a month. So in the mean time I bought another scope and sold the new warranty one once I got it back.

Will
10-15-2006, 11:40 AM
I've used all of them, still have a 3200 on my Varmint rig, but I don't like it.

I'm with Firebird, the Optics on the VXII's are just as good as the 4200 Bushnells.

I sold ALL my 4200's they are seriously HEAVY PIGS vs comparable Leos.

The Rainguard does work's well so this may be a factor for you.

IMHO a VXII 3-9x40 is the Best Bang for the Buck in a Hunting Scope these days......it always has been actually:p

patbrennan
10-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I would advise you to look at the Leupold VXll scopes. Same price range and much lighter(usually 3-5 ounces).
I've used several "top of the line" Bushnell scopes over the years and have had most of them crap out and go the the repair depot.(which usually took several months) Always thought the optics were okay, but they weren't very tough.
Leupolds are tough, light, decent glass, and if by chance you do have a problem their warranty is the best. (even if you aren;t the original owner) Check out used leupold prices if you think they don't hold their value.
I'm personally done with Bushnells, I can do much better in the same price range.

kutenay
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
I have quite a few B&Ls, from ancient non-adjustable Balvars to both 4000s and 3000s and I have many Leupies as well; I also have West German Zeiss and so forth. I just bought a new scope for my Dakota 76 and it is a Leupy VX-III 1.75-6 HDM, my favourite hunting scope. I had B&L 4000 on this rifle, a .338 and it split my eyebrow wide open, so, i put on a Leupie LPS which I found too heavy and it ruined the superb balance of this rifle.

I now use the Leupy 1.75 and 3.5x10x50 on all of my serious hunting rifles with complete satisfaction and i expect to buy a VX-III 4.5x14x50 for my P-64-.264 Mag. in the spring. After over 100 big game rifles and probably 85 scopes since 1964, I much prefer Leupy and use all my other scopes as either spares or on rifles I don't usually hunt with. Leupy rocks!!!

I have some Leupies that are over 30 yrs. old and STILL work like new.

todbartell
10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
to me, if you're going to be spending 4200 $$$, go with Leupold and get a better warranty