PDA

View Full Version : What knife do you use?

Tack
06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi,
Besides being an occasional contributor to this forum I am also a regular contributor on a couple of knife sites. On both these sites there is much ddiscussion on the finer points of this wonder steel against that and whether a 41/4 inch blade is better than a 41/5 inch.
So what I am interested in knowing is this: What type of knife do you carry when in the field? Is it a fixed blade or folder, does it have a clip or drop point, what blade length and is it in carbon or stainless steel? Is it a factory knife or a custom and who made it? Finally is it the only cutting tool you carry or is it combined with a camp knife or an axe or a butchering kit?
You guys use these things day in, day out so tell me what you think.
Tack

ringo
06-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I use a Kershaw 1050, which is a folder with a drop point in premium steel. This goes on my belt. I have a custom knife built by Kohorst out of Cranbrook that is fixed blade version of my Kershaw with a gut hook. This goes in my day pack with along with my folding meat saw. I wear latex disposable gloves when gutting and skinning, and I like finger grooves in my knife handles to give "traction". This combination serves me well from deer to moose, should I dull one knife usually on the fur, my "bear watch" partner can sharpen the other.

bighornbob
06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I use a Buck Selector (stopped making them in the mid 90's). It is a folder that has a 4 inch blade. The blades are exchangeable and the carry case has room for two mores blades. I carry it with a drop point blade and have two extra drop points in the case. The knife has a hard plastic handle and the case is cordura. It is super light and thats all I carry even on extended trips.

I love the knife and almost lost it this fall, so I purchased two more complete knives and two extra blades on EBAY. I figure this should last me the rest of my life.

BHB

brotherjack
06-20-2006, 03:47 PM
All I cary is my Gerber Gator folding knife with the lower half serrated. The serrated part works great for going through ribs on deer/bear sized critters (or smaller), and the sweep of the front edge of the blade is reasonable for skinning, gutting, etc. The kinfe is big enough, and small enough for most common jobs I've ever encountered in the field. Holds the edge well enough it usually only needs sharpening every 2 deer, or every 1 elk. All for less than $50. I don't know what else I could want.

pupper
06-20-2006, 04:13 PM
I use a Buck Vanguard stainless drop point knife. Very nice knife.
I also use a hand saw for quartering moose.

bigwhiteys
06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I use a custom knife that was built by Joseph Breti out of Dawson Creek.

The blade is made out of planer steel from the dawson mill and the wood handle is wood that apparently is collected from overseas shipping pallets.

It's a very nice handling knife and it's razor sharp.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_knife.jpg

It's not the best for skinning out the head/face of an animal though. You need something with a sharper tip.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

dime
06-20-2006, 04:33 PM
I use a kershaw 3 in one blade, with interchangeable bone saw and gutting hook. It was a gift but bought from Cabellas, under $100. Having the bone saw to cut the sternum makes gutting a lot cleaner as you are not covered in blood up to the elbows reaching up to take out the windpipe and lungs.
I still have a small folding blade for cutting out around the anus as I do not like to cut the pelvis when field dressing. I have found dirt and road grit can get in the meat too easily.

Gunner
06-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I have 2 Dozier Skinners,3 1/2,and 4" blades,and just ordered a 2 3/4" Caper from Gene Ingram in the states.

lip_ripper00
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
razor sharp by Olfa:D

greybark
06-20-2006, 08:31 PM
:wink: In 1959 a buddy of mine posted to Germany sent me a PUMA TRAPPER`S COMPANION . Prior to the Grey hair thing my nickname was Trapper . The knife came with a rockwell hardness certificate , serial number and was a Righthanded model . Indeed it was my companion for so many years and now is retired .

REMEMBER --Keep Your Fingertab On --

bigwhiteys
06-20-2006, 08:47 PM
GreyBark,

My dad says one of the best knives he ever had in the mountains was a puma knife he picked it up at a FNAWS show or something.

He ended up losing it somewhere on a mountain.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

sealevel
06-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I use a buck vangard i lost a hiada lockblade that i had for many years. So i got a Floyd Ternier Knife at the kamloops gun show.

greybark
06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
;) Hey Bigwhiteys , Your Dad was right and the reason it is put away I don`t want to leave it somewhere .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Tarp Man
06-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Well, I always have had a soft spot for blades. I use an origional D.H. Russell that I inherited from my Grandpa. Origional as in the award winning design. Made a custom sheath for it as the old one was fading fast. That combined with a new Leatherman Wave and a Buck Alpha folder with rubber handles.

The 'Hummer'
06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
For a general purpose folding knife & for cutting off scent galnds I have a two blade Kershaw, one blade locks. I use a Puma 'Buddy', 4.75" as a primary hunting knife. Last but not least, years ago, I had to have a Puma White Hunter. Ideal for slashing brush or blazing trails in Central America but other than that........After years of sitting on a shelf, I had a knife maker cut it down & reshaped into a 3.50" skinning knife. Works well.

Barracuda
06-21-2006, 12:33 AM
I normally use my whitetail skinner and my buck knife #191 that my brother got me as Christmas presents . I have also inherited my fathers Puma "Game Warden" I can still remember being with my mother as we went to pick out my fathers Birthday present . I couldnt have been more then about 10 years old but i still remember it like it was yesterday. It is very rare that that knife gets taken anywhere I am always torn between doing it justice and useing it or makeing sure i dont lose it and keeping it all locked up.

kishman
06-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I've been carrying a D.H. Russel folder (made by Grohman) excellent steele, Canadian too. The blade runs about 3 and 3/4 inches the whole thing open is about 8 and 3/4". Think I'm going to pick up thier "mini skinner" fixed blade for this fall.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r300s.html

kishman

Dayto
06-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Kershaw Alaskan Blade trader ,Best knife's I have ever owned.

steel_ram
06-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I use a Buck Selector (stopped making them in the mid 90's). It is a folder that has a 4 inch blade. The blades are exchangeable and the carry case has room for two mores blades. I carry it with a drop point blade and have two extra drop points in the case. The knife has a hard plastic handle and the case is cordura. It is super light and thats all I carry even on extended trips.
BHB

Me too. They also came with brite orange hard to lose handles for those of us that have left much more expensive knives at gut piles.:oops:

CanAm500
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I use the US Marines Kabar. 11.5 inch blade.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2814&size=big&cat=500

bigwhiteys
06-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey Paintballer,

You'd have a hell of a time trying to skin something with that!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Sitkaspruce
06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
DH Russel, Grohman and an exacto knife. I use the exacto knife the most, always sharp and I have never broke a blade yet.(knock on wood (head)). An old timer I used to hunt with used a box cutter all the time, he could cut,gut and quarter faster than most people could gut. It was amazing to watch.

CanAm500
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey Paintballer,

You'd have a hell of a time trying to skin something with that!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Whys that?

bigwhiteys
06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Paintballer,

It's too big. You have no control with a blade like that and it's not designed for "skinning". Even trying to gut something with that it would be hard to get inside and move your knife around the body cavity when you cut the diaphram and esophagus.

In a survival situation it's probably fine but I would want something smaller and sharper and designed for the purpose of skinning an animal.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

CanAm500
06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh ok. Then i beter get my other on sharpened.

bigwhiteys
06-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Paintballer,

Your knife will work it would just make your job much easier with something a little smaller.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

CanAm500
06-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah. But see the problem is: either have the big sharp knife or the small dull one. lol.

Tuffcity
06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
ICPB'er,

Go with a small sharp one. :)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/knives.jpg

The left one is a Buck and the other is a "custom" from Finland. Had the Fin knife for 20+ years and would be some PO'ed if it went missing.

It's done everything from moose to sheep and it has a ~2 1/2" blade.

RC

meat hunter
06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
I use a gerber gator . A nice little knife,it fits inside a deer cavity very nicely. I've had it for 7 or so years and would be lost with out it

Gateholio
06-25-2006, 09:40 PM
As sonmeme of you know, i am a chef, and while in my job I don't relaly cook that much anymore, I have definite opinions on knives.

Surprisingly, I use knives that are not custom/expensive/trendy or cool:grin:

The knife I carry daily is a Kershaw Vapour II. It has abotu a 4.5 or so bade, and it's a folder with a thin metal handle, and a little clip that clips onto your pocket. I use it aot, and keep it sharp, and I've used it to skin lots of stuff.

I also use a knife that Beretta puts out, it is a nice littl efixed blade with a small clip point, and a beveled blade. I am not a fan of clip point OR beveled blades (liek most Buck knives) but this one is small and very handy. Blade about 4.5" as well.

What is the best for most deboning/meat cutting is, of course what pros like me use int he kitchen. A boning/skinning knife with a small curve on it and a plastic handle. If you ike the wood handles, Victorinox makes an awesome one wiht a rosewood handle (and a plastic handle one, too) I dont' relaly like the Henkel boning knives, as they have a bolstered bade, and for no good reason- You don't need extra weight/strength in that area, you are not chopping anything with a knife like that.

FInally, I have a folding saw, made by Sandvik, in Sweden . Just like Arvika axes and Husky chainsaws, those Swedes know somehting abotu wood cutting tools. It is by far the best small saw that I have encountered, it is light and sharp, with good teeth. I use this mostly for cutting through wrist/ankle and oithe bones on animals, but sometiumes on wood, too.

FOr caping out an animal around the ears/eyes/paws of a bear etc, I have found nothing better than scalpels, butthey wear out fast, so an exacto knife works well, and you can quickly change the blades. :grin:

bigwhiteys
06-25-2006, 09:55 PM
FOr caping out an animal around the ears/eyes/paws of a bear etc, I have found nothing better than scalpels, butthey wear out fast, so an exacto knife works well, and you can quickly change the blades.

Gatehouse,

This is what my taxidermist wants me to do (Scalpel). And I can see how much easier it would be to get the job done and much cleaner too. He was showing me in his shop and gave me the right blades to get and handle etc...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gateholio
06-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Once you use a scalpel for the picky bots of caping, you will never want to use anyting else.

Feed stores often carry scalpels for cheap, and if you can get soem "expired" ones (the sterilization process has a expiry date) all the better:grin:

Stone Sheep Steve
06-26-2006, 06:59 AM
I've got some kind of folding Kershaw(don't know the model). Works pretty good and is pretty easy to sharpen.
My Taxidermist aslo got me using a scalple. You can get them at some medical supply pharmacies. It's a #4 Almedic handle with replacable blades so when it get's dull just grab a new one. There are a lot of different profile blades to go with it so you need to find what works for you. I think I use a #23. There are also a couple of different brands of blades that fit it and one brand breaks waaaay more easily.
In the field my taxidermist uses a scalple for skininng an entire bear. It takes him about two hours but he says you'll save time by only touching it once. No more fleshing will be needed later on as that can be a real pain.

SSS

~T-BONE~
06-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Lots of different ideas here! But I guess it comes down to what you are used to and most comfortable handling! As for myself I prefer to use the classic 4in. folding Buck Knife as it acompanies me everywhere and is always ready to slice paper! As for packing I almost always carry a 2 sided stone (rarely use) and a smooth steel. A trick to use while boning is to cut along the bone with light pressure as a sharp knife will do the work for you (when it wont go don't force it). For caping be very careful around the lips as you will probably hit the teeth, and at that momment that will be the end of that nice edge you had! Using these 2 tips should hold ur edge for a long time. Only one real downfall with this type of knife that is while skinning with the buck's sharp tip it tends to cut through the hide as where a good skinning knife would come in handy. All n all any knife will get the job done and who wants to pack more tools than really nescessary, heck 1/2 the time I don't even carry my stone.

endtimerwithabow
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I picked up a spainish steel tactical knife last fall excelent knife holds a edge very well, i have a kershaw vapor II as well another excelent knife, but my chef and boning knifes are wusthof dereizack made in germany the best knifes on the market bar none well worth the $500 they cost me.

sidney-hunter
06-26-2006, 07:26 PM
buck diamondbacks. the small one and the bigger one, for a grand total of around 70 bux for the best knives ive ever owned its not too shabby.

Blacktail
06-27-2006, 10:44 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/knives1.jpg

Just a couple knives I use
THe buck on the left is a small diamondback I use for caping
The Shrade nrxt to it is not bad for gutting but I prefer the next one
The one second from the right is one I made a few years ago and the one on the far right is a smaller skinner that I just finished the other day

Gateholio
06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I picked up a spainish steel tactical knife last fall excelent knife holds a edge very well, i have a kershaw vapor II as well another excelent knife, but my chef and boning knifes are wusthof dereizack made in germany the best knifes on the market bar none well worth the $500 they cost me.

I use several Wusthof kitchen knives, including one 10" chefs knife that has been wiht me for about 20 years, and it's still great, well worht the $120 or so I paid for it. There are a bunch of good knife makers in Soligen, including a company that goes by the name of Golden Hamster, of all things.8-)

I have had one of thier slicing knives for abotu 10 years or so.

For boning knives I have always prefered the Victorinox ones. Faster to sharpen, eaiser to get a razor sharp edge, and no bolster. I have shaved plenty of times with a Victorinox boning knife, and I'm not kidding!!:biggrin:

FlyingHigh
07-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Everyday use i carry a 3 inch Gerber Gator, with the back half serrated.

For hunting/camping, i carry the Gator, a Leatherman Wave and a Buck Special with a 6 inch blade.
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/228/222

For watersports (boating, diving, snorkeling) and fishing the Fraser where my big Buck would be overkill, i have the Gator, and strapped to my ankle, a Wenoka Knives Titanium dive knife. (the one in the picture is the stainless steel version, the titanium blade is a dark grey)
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444254 2697&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701313&bmUID=1152900582453

I also have a small silver folding blade i call my dress knife. i wear it clipped to the inside of my pocket for fancy occasions. the silver contrasts nicely with the black of dress pants or shorts.

Basically, i am never without a knife.

huntwriter
07-15-2006, 11:06 PM
For general hunting duties I use one of my many Swiss Army kives that I carry on my belt every single day of my life where ever I go. For skinning and boning I always carry a set of my work meat cutting knives from Giesser, Swibo and Victorex plus an Isler professional meat cutter sharpening steel.

What works well at the job works well in the field too. What matters most to me is that the knife is razor sharp and can hold an edge, if not it ends up in the garbage can regardless of the price tag it had on it.

farside
08-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Gerber Gator always.

But I am buying a folding drop tip knife with a 3" blade from a company called "Cutco". 60.00 bucks

quadrakid
09-30-2006, 08:19 PM
gerber gator, plus a razor knife , no more sharpening while working on bullwinkle.

chinooker
10-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Best Knife I have ever used is the 15-20 dollar Mora with plastic handle they out perform any knife I have ever used and seen anyone else use.
do two whole moose without sharpening then throw away and get another.

Rod
10-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I have a bunch of knives commercial and custom made and I like them all but what usually ends up being used is my handy pocket sized Swiss Army knife, it holds a great edge and with a credit card style diamond stone that is always in my wallet I can touch it up when necessary.

I also have a homemade caping knife I made from a 440 stainless utility blade I picked up from Lee Valley tools a few years ago.

Cheers
Rod

Bow Walker
10-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Gerber Mini Magnum for gutting/cleaning and a newer Buck knife (don't know the name) with a harder rubber type handle for general work and camp duties.

Franko Manini
10-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Letherman Wave for utility stuff, and the hunting knife is a Puma Hunter's Pal. Love the Solingen steel.

BowsUp
10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Old Buck folder (smaller one) and a Finnish knife by Roselli with a 2 1/4 " blade. My wife brought the Roselli after speaking to the man himself. Apparently it was made for local hunter demand.

I was a bit sceptical but three moose later, I'm sold.

ellellbee
10-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I just found out after years of sharpening at Lansky's recommended angle for hunting knives of 25 degrees, that each knife has it's recommended angle from the manufacturer. My Gerber requires a 30 degree angle and my Buck a 26 to 32 degree angle. Worth checking into what is recommended for your particular knife.

Amphibious
10-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Buck Vangaurd. been through 8 moose, 9 bears, and a couple deer. 60ish grouse?. very happy with it. steel is a tad soft.

Will
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Cheap Gerber Gator for the "Guttin chores"
It's been through a few Dozens Bears(?) quite a few Deer and helped out on a Moose or two as well. I like the rubber non-slip grip..works well.

For Big Skinning Jobs, I picked up a Grohmann(Canadian made) Skinner last year.....got the Optional Sheath with the Steel, very sharp8)
http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/IMG_0976.JPG

Fisher-Dude
10-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Folding Kershaw Blackhorse. Comment from the last moose skinnin' party I was at: "It's nice to see somebody has a sharp knife!"

Using the Lansky at 20 degrees makes this baby a shaver. Holds an edge really well. My buddy went through 3 Cutco serated knives, now he has a Kershaw too after seeing mine perform.

rocksteady
10-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Another one I pack is one of those cheap ($6) Canadian tire folding utility knives (neon blue color) that I replace the razor blaze blades with carpet hooks...Works awesome for the initial gut opening...Surprisingly those blades stay sharp for a long time...Bonus is that the "gut hook" is small enough where you don't need to worry about knicking the guts when youre zipping them open....When it gets dull, flip it open, swap blade end for end and good to go again.....Nice, small, cheap, so who cares if you lose it, and blades are really inexpensive.....

Bow Walker
10-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Folding Kershaw LST was the knife that did my wrist this past Sept. Boy do they hold an edge!

Yes, I still carry the knife in my pocket and still use it. It's my fault - not the knife's.

ellellbee
10-11-2006, 08:55 PM
BowWalker - How on earth did you get cut in that pattern - was Zorro helping you gut?

Bow Walker
10-12-2006, 08:24 PM
BowWalker - How on earth did you get cut in that pattern - was Zorro helping you gut?
I, stupidly, made the middle cut. The surgeon had to make the two outside cuts so that he could sew the tendons, the arteries, and the nerve back together.

I call it my Harry Potter scar.:smile:

fozzy
10-13-2006, 11:45 PM
The last few years I have been using a Buck 477BK Caping knife. It is very small and handy and has the gut hook as well, and I keep it sharp enough to shave with.

willyqbc
10-14-2006, 08:24 AM
I use this gerber...been very happy with it and you can't beat the price.

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=383

Chris

FlyingHigh
10-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I just bought a Buck Vanguard with a guthook. Done a grouse already with it, and dad did a couple of fish. Works like a charm and holds an edge nicely. My gator has been retired from everyday carry to pocket carry on outdoor trips. My new everday carry is a Buck Rush, assisted opening knife. Opens like greased lightning, had for about 3 weeks, still holds the factory edge. :D It's a perfect size and weight for everday carry.

DocEnglish
10-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Does anybody use any of the Knives of Alaska? I just added a couple of them--big and small--to the Buck Special and 110 Folding Hunter that I have been using for years.

MichelD
10-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Two Bucklites, a Boker 90, and a copy of the Boker I got in a discount supermarket in Germany for about $5.99 that holds an edge better than the Boker. All folders.

Got an Opinel for slicing bread, sausage and cheese in camp.

jakerazer
10-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I have used many knives for hunting but i always come back to my Grohman kit knife. I bought it from Lee valley and made my own deer antler handle. I then ground the blade down lightly to make a more steeply angled edge. I find this knife is just the right compromize for hunting. It's not to heavy or large. the tip does'nt have too sharp a point for skinning and the knife is strong and simple so it won't fail like a folder can.
My backup for choping bones is either an original Carbon V Cold steel Kurkuri or a Swedish hatchet.
Oh and i always keep evrything scary sharp with my Lansky sharpener.8-)
(hard Arkansas in the field).