PDA

View Full Version : Goldstream Marina Fishing

palmer
06-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Am going fishing to the Island July 15 -23. I am puttting my boat in at Goldstream marina for a week...I was wondering about fishing in the Inlet or will I have to go out around sidney...any help will do or if you can even tell me what runs are in then...

thanks
Palmer

bigwhiteys
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Palmer,

If I remember correctly it's when the dogwoods are in bloom that it's best fishing in the Inlet. I live in Deep Cove which is at the tip of the inlet before you go around the point to sidney.

Wain Rock has produced some good Salmon. You'll get prawns off of Pat Bay, on the shelf... Just look for the buoys from every one elses traps.

I've also caught some nice rock cod and ling off the cement factory at bamberton as well.

I don't fish saltwater as much as I used to sorry I can't be of more help.

Carl

000buck
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
better to fish the outside (pedderbay or sunnyshores in sooke) no fish and to many closures in the inside

LUCKY
06-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Why goldstream?

The Saanich inlet and Brentwood Bay are a nice sheltered place to cruize but there are no fish. Prawning is good at times but unfortunately just got cleaned out by commercial prawning.
The prawning may be worth a shot it may be recovering and there is a recent lingcod opening. (1 a day) It has been closed for years and just opened.
For salmon from Goldstream you will have to head towards Sidney.

LUCKY

steel_ram
06-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Saanich inlet used to be good. Stone house, Mckenzie bay, Bamberton and even Todd inlet at one time produced some lunkers. I actually won a salmon derby fishing out of Halls boat house. We always fished deep with little hootchies. Unfortunately this was many years ago.

The narrows between Saltspring and Van Isle can still be good at times. There are several great crabbing spots. We've slayed flounder just on the east side of the Island off Brentwood.

black 'n blue
06-20-2006, 09:24 PM
I grew up fishing the inlet, and know about every inch of shoreline. We jigged structures with stingzilda's and buzz bombs and caught truckloads of fish that way. Willis Point, the Boulder, Shepards Point and McCurdy were all good. Biggest spring around 25 lbs. I stopped fishing there at least ten years ago so I don't know about the fishing now. I fish out of Sooke now and catch way bigger fish than I used to in the inlet, but I still wouldn't mind spending some time there again sometime. Be careful of new regulations.