PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Head Broadhead

bsa30-06
06-15-2006, 07:43 PM
anybody use them?Good, Bad,any opinions.?

Timbow
06-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I have used a variety of BH over the last dozen years and it always seems they build a new and better one each year.

I have used the thunderheads before and harvested a nice two point muley. The blades have to be the sharpest I've ever seen.

There are a few things that made me switch from the thunderheads are:

-The 100 and 125 grain have a 1 3/16th of a cut which makes for a great cutting diameter but a finicky tune when your bow exceeds 275 fps.

-the blades are set into a slot along the ferrule. I did have a few blades come out into my target and I discovered that you have to inspect the broadheads after every other shot for tightness.

If my bow shot less than 270 fps I probably still use them.

My 2 cents.

06-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I do. I am not the dedicated bow hunter that some here are, but my limited experience with them has been good. Harvested a couple of deer using thunderheads and they preformed great.

bwhnter
06-16-2006, 08:48 AM
I used to use the Thunder Head 125 and they work well. I flinched really bad shooting at a stone ram and ended up hitting him in the horn about 3-4 inches from the end. A friend of my uncles ended up shooting him a couple of weeks later and the broadhead was still stuck in the horn. When I went and looked at it I was amazed at the damage that it had done. It almost cut the end of the horn off and it was still intact with the chisle point sticking out one side and the end of the threads sticking out the other.

JohnS
06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I used to use the Thunder Head 125 and they work well. I flinched really bad shooting at a stone ram and ended up hitting him in the horn about 3-4 inches from the end. A friend of my uncles ended up shooting him a couple of weeks later and the broadhead was still stuck in the horn. When I went and looked at it I was amazed at the damage that it had done. It almost cut the end of the horn off and it was still intact with the chisle point sticking out one side and the end of the threads sticking out the other.

Thats Amazeing how it stuck like that...and didn't knock the ram out .....hahahaha but I guess they are used to butting heads..... cool how ya got to see the ram with the arrow head still in it.

Walksalot
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM
I found them to be fine on aluminum arrows but the blades would be loose on graphite arrows. UBARs helped on Beemanarrows but they won't help on Easton Graphites.
I am currently using Wasps and they seem to be fine.

bochunk2000
06-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I started off using them and shot a nice Blacktail doe with one. Complete pass through. I now use Muzzy because I like how thw blades are held in better.

Kirby
06-16-2006, 04:44 PM
I shot t-heads for years, took mulies, whitetails, and bears with them. However I don't like how the blades are slotted in, as I've heard stories about them coming out with carbon arrows. I switched to Slick tricsk this year. If I was still shooting aluminums I'd still be shooting t-heads.

Kirby

bsa30-06
06-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanxs for the info guys, i'm going to give the thunder heads a try and i'm also going to try the montecs , if i don't like the way the thunder heads perform.

pupper
06-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Dont waste your money on thunderheads, go straight to montec g-5's. they are much better.
Thunder heads have to have alot of attention to get them to perform good eg. blade swapping and arrow changing. I also find them very long compared to montecs.
I shot a bear from 25 yds with a thunderhead and it worked good although it didnt pass through.
The biggest problem with thunderheads is the inconsitancy. When I was tuning them and sighting in with them they would swoop all over the place. With field tips the arrows were fine. I tried spinning them until there was no wobble by blade swapping and interchanging the arrows, and still no improvement, They fly all over the place. and yes my bow was just tuned up so everything on the setup is perfect. I would not have the confidence in those inconsitant broadheads to shoot at anything, Go with montecs. The fixed blade is way better/truer, and get your veins put in line with the blades.

Kirby
06-17-2006, 05:59 PM
pupper, I have shot t-heads out of 6 different bows, with numerous different arrow set ups, and never had a problem with them tuning or inconsistant flight, not sure what the issue was but I wouldn't believe its the heads. What was your fletching length?

I really like montecs one piece, and think its one of the best heads out there. If your interesed in t-heads let me know, I have a couple that I would be willing to part with cheap, brand new blades, 85gr, 100gr, and 125gr heads. I no longer shoot them, and have no reason to keep them around.

Kirby

Bow Walker
06-17-2006, 06:02 PM
If you try a couple of different types and you finally settle on one particular brand you can always put the unwanted ones up for trade on the Trade A Broadhead thread:wink:

That being said - do not underestimate the value of the Razorcaps8-) View them at the NAP site and/or the http://www.razorcaps.com site. Easy to re-sharpen and Deadly - with a capital D-E-A-D!

buckee
06-17-2006, 08:33 PM
I used the thungerheads for a few years. Shot lots of deer, but I did have tuning problems and blade losing/loosening problems when I switched to my goldtips. It gets scary when you have to warn your meat-cutter to watch out for a blade or two somewhere in there...LOL
I made the switch 2 years ago to Montec G5's and love them.
They fly true if your bow is in tune, center shot, etc.(No need to broadhead tune like some broadheads, including the thunderheads).
Be sure to get the Montec sharpening stone as well, because they do not come sharp out of the package. That seems to be an issue with some guys, but I've always liked sharpening things, so it's no biggy for me. Heck I used to resharpen my thunderhead blades, because I was too cheap to buy new ones. ;)
The Montecs are great

Nails
06-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I have used thunderheads 125 in the past. They are a very strong dependable head. Like the guys have said about the blades, this is my sore point with them having to remove the head to get it out of my broadhead target. Blades drop out of them, then your wasting time putting it back on the shaft a big draw back for me. Also not having practice blades. I did find tuning them was more time consuming then my present muzzys 125 3 blade.

Walksalot
06-18-2006, 08:09 AM
These little buggers are called Univeral Broadhead Apdapter Rings made especially for broadheads on graphite arrows. They are supposed to work like a hot damn on graphites but I am not all that sold on them. They add a couple of grains to your arrow tip.

http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/ProductImages/broadheads/misc/na120.JPG (http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=613)

bsa30-06
06-18-2006, 09:48 AM
I have assembled and srewed 3 of them on to my arrows and everything seems to fit nice and tight.Is the problem with the blades coming loose and falling out a specific problem related to carbon arrows or have people had this happen on aluminum arrows as well?.I'm currently using aluminum arrows and the heads seem to fit quite tight but i have not had a chance to get out and shoot any yet.

Nails
06-18-2006, 09:58 AM
The problem I have is that the blades are loose once you undo the broadhead from the arrow, watch out you could loose a blade. That is my complaint and tuning can be longer.

pupper
06-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I have never had a blade come out with thunderheads but I do tighten them before every shot because they do come lose. Tuning is the major problem with them, Montecs are worth the extra mone. Having a blade that doesnt need to be tuned or worry about coming lose....priceless.
as a bowhunter you need to have complete confidence in your equiptment and I dont have that with thunderheads.

Walksalot
06-18-2006, 01:53 PM
I have assembled and srewed 3 of them on to my arrows and everything seems to fit nice and tight.Is the problem with the blades coming loose and falling out a specific problem related to carbon arrows or have people had this happen on aluminum arrows as well?.I'm currently using aluminum arrows and the heads seem to fit quite tight but i have not had a chance to get out and shoot any yet.

I have never had a thundehead blade come loose on an aluminum arrow but I have had major problems with them and carbon arrows. Tighten the thundehead onto the graphite and then try to move the blade.

huntwriter
06-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I use Thunderheads for over 10 years on all game species and never had any problems with them. Next to Muzzy and Magnus, which I use to, I still believe they are one of the best brands out there. Having said that I also believe firmly that any company that has been around for so many years and on the top of the heap can be trusted with their products.

Most broadhead problems occur from assebling them sloppy or not tuning the arrow properly. In my opinion there is no such thing as a broadhead that flies streight out of the box.

pupper
06-18-2006, 04:27 PM
for the people that are complaining about the blades coming out on the graphite arrows... Are you using the UBAR? if not, its no surprise.

Bow Walker
06-18-2006, 04:54 PM
In my opinion there is no such thing as a broadhead that flies streight out of the box.

I beg to differ!! I bought some Razorcaps while in Courtenay one time. I got them home and then to the range - took them out of the package and screwed them onto my shafts. I then gave then a quick test spin and proceeded to shoot them into the broadhead pit at the Victoria Club range.

Lo and behold they placed side by side with my field tips. Really nice to see.

http://www.razorcaps.com

pupper
06-18-2006, 08:01 PM
bowwalker, Have you ever tried montecs?

just wondering if you could tell me what you like better or what the differences are?

it seems razor caps are a little bigger looking and longer.

Bow Walker
06-19-2006, 09:53 AM
pupper.....I just traded Cowboyup69 a couple of Slick Tricks for a couple of his Montecs. I haven't been able to get out to the range yet, but this week for sure. I'm looking forward to trying them on my GT 5575's.

I'll let you know how they fly.

You're right though, the Razorcaps are longer but they aren't "bigger". They are definitely sharper right out of the package (from all that I have heard anyway). They are also one of the few that are truly cut on contact. So far I haven't found anything that comes close to them in any way.

bwhnter
06-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Is anyone trying the new "Striker" broadhead that G5 has come out with this year. I think that it looks good and would be trying it if I hadn't just bought 9 new Montec 100s.

If you are curious what they look like www.g5outdoors.com (http://www.g5outdoors.com)

Bow Walker
06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
If you want a bit of info on the Strikers, check out this thread....
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=343463

bwhnter
06-21-2006, 12:45 PM
That doesn't sound to good about the Strikers. Maybe I will stick with the Montec. Thanks for the info