PDA

View Full Version : Wolves can be hazardous to your Hounds!!

Sniper
06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Every time you let those dogs go your taking a chance if your in wolf country! http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=355583&sort=7&thecat=560&password=
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=355582&sort=7&thecat=560&password=

jackson13
06-12-2006, 12:45 PM
poor mutts!

death-junky
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
ya that is sad. one reason why you don't let your dogs run around without supervision.
ttyal
Riley

BlacktailStalker
06-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Are those your dogs ?
My buddy lost a boxer, german shephard (farm dogs) and his lab got chewed up but got away a couple months ago, by wolves.

houndogger
06-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Those photos have been around the net for a while now.

big game walker hounds
01-28-2007, 11:39 PM
we all need to start giving wolves some of our own medicin the wildlife branch wont they coller them now. no joke. wont bring back the deer herds with wolves around. lost a walker hound my self to them basterds and they were collard by the gamies gave the preditor guy shit over that kill them next time.

houndogger
01-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Wolfs used to be so thick in these parts a few years ago or so. I thank the trapper who worked hard at reducing their numbers.8-)

steel_ram
01-29-2007, 08:30 AM
we all need to start giving wolves some of our own medicin the wildlife branch wont they coller them now. no joke. wont bring back the deer herds with wolves around.

I bet blackbears eating deer fawns has more effect on blacktail recovery on V.I. The Island is loused with them. I also know that a lot of cat hunters run cats, tree them and then walk away after taking pictures. Why not wack every cougar you legally can if your that concerned about deer recovery instead of educating them.

Murder
01-29-2007, 09:50 AM
They eat their own...scary. I'm always scared I'll shoot somebodies dog by accident thinking it is a wolf.

SAVAGE300
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey murder if you see dogs out running deer, shoot it! a dog can and will outlast a deer in the chase

wsm
02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
i own a wolf hybrid and can't bring myself to shoot wolves.if yhey posed an immediate threat i would , but other wise no. this is my baby, and gaurdian twice.

CanAm500
02-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I hope those wolves get what they deserve. Its sad to see dogs being teared up by wolves.

elkguide
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I bet blackbears eating deer fawns has more effect on blacktail recovery on V.I. The Island is loused with them. I also know that a lot of cat hunters run cats, tree them and then walk away after taking pictures. Why not wack every cougar you legally can if your that concerned about deer recovery instead of educating them. Wolf control programs are very important to managing our game populations in bc as you well know. But I think i misunderstood you.....educate wolves/cougars? I think a bullet is the best education a wolf can get. As for cougars and guys treeing them without killing....I'm not much of a cougar hunter but I know guys that do and I think pursuit only is invaluable in training their houndss isn't it? The only good wolf is a dead wolf!!!!!

elkguide
02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
i own a wolf hybrid and can't bring myself to shoot wolves.if yhey posed an immediate threat i would , but other wise no. this is my baby, and gaurdian twice. Nice lookin pup bud...hope he wears lots of colour ( red is best) when your out in the field?

Calum
02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey murder if you see dogs out running deer, shoot it! a dog can and will outlast a deer in the chase
Not your job, and you don't know the full story behind it...could be a hunting dog owned by a fellow hunter.

I tell yah If someone shot one of my dogs...The shooter/poacher would regret it. :mad:

Also regarding Red vests...IMHO switch to Orange, Red disappears in the dark brush, and if someone is colour blind they will only see a dark shape.

And for the record Island developers/logging companies are more of a threat to our Deer population then wolves are, but if one is so worried then leave the red riding hood cap at home. :lol:

Barracuda
02-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Only an officer is allowed to shoot a domestic dog chasing wild game if he determines that it is threat to it (dont take my word for it, Look it up!). And secondly most deer will out run and out distance a domestic dog unless the dog is bred for running.

If a hunter shoots someones dog be prepared for charges and haveing your hunting liscence taken away .

I find that there are far to many Hill Billy Redneck hunters in the woods that seem to have spent alot of time Sleeping with Miss Information .

section 78-79 of the wildlife act pertains to this

Dogs hunting game

78 A person commits an offence if the person causes or allows a dog to hunt or pursue
(a) wildlife or an endangered species or threatened species, or
(b) game, except in accordance with the regulations.

Destruction of animals

79 (1) An officer may kill an animal, other than a domestic animal, that is at large and is likely to harm persons, property, wildlife or wildlife habitat.
(2) An officer may kill a dog that is
(a) at large in a wildlife management area, or
(b) at large and harassing wildlife.
(3) An officer may kill a cat at large where wildlife is usually found.

no where in the act does it say a hunter is allowed destroy a dog.
this of course it is a differnt story if it is livestock that is being protected

Ddog
02-15-2007, 05:10 PM
i cant believe the attitudes of a few peoples replies, wolves are just as important species here than any other species of animal we have.
if you see a dog chasing a deer shoot it? thats one of the worst things i have ever heard and you carry a firearm, thats whats scary.
1 more thing, ever heard of the ol' saying believe none of what you hear and half of what you see? those are just pictures (sad ones i am sure)with one person that said wolf kill.
personally i think wolves are beautiful and deserve just as much respect as any other animal in our province that we hunt.
cheers..............ddog

houndogger
02-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks Barracuda8)

BCLongshot
02-15-2007, 08:21 PM
wsm... Nice dog I have 2 Samoyeds...

Wow a few hotheads r talkin' smak.

I take the dogs hunting but they behave...So if they see a few does and maybe chase them for 50m (pretty sure they wouldn't) you'd shoot them ?

Maybe I have them out in the fall for bears and not deer...I have a 30m leash that they are usually on but more than anything I just like being outdoors.

Ya better be careful if U decide to shoot my dogs or maybe word your comments a little more clearly.

Oh and I would probably drop any Wolves I'd see only because there are so many same with Bears.

mapguy
02-16-2007, 07:37 AM
I dO BELIEVE it use to be in the hunting guide back in the sixties that you should shoot a dog chasing deer.

mapguy
02-16-2007, 07:40 AM
I saw a couple of guys out hunting with there dog they walked a road and had the dog out chasing deer which they then shot at on the run . It fell dead in front of me and they should up . I reported it but they never came back.

wsm
02-16-2007, 09:52 PM
WHILE HUNTING.if someone is stupid enough to shoot her well then?

Sasquatch
02-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Very bad advice.

luckynuts
03-12-2007, 09:40 AM
[quote=Barracuda]And secondly most deer will out run and out distance a domestic dog unless the dog is bred for running.

I disagree with you Barracuda. I watched a pack of dogs total of 6 shepards lab collie mix mutts run deer in metchosin I watched them run that deer into the lagoon at Pedder bay and kill it. And I now see them running deer up here at work. Old Mrs Yates used to shoot them all the time as they would tear into her goats and sheep along with the cougars. Don't be fooled if a dog gets a taste of the chase it will do it again and again until it will finally catch its quarry.

W.

Barracuda
03-12-2007, 10:23 AM
[quote=Barracuda]And secondly most deer will out run and out distance a domestic dog unless the dog is bred for running.

I disagree with you Barracuda. I watched a pack of dogs total of 6 shepards lab collie mix mutts run deer in metchosin I watched them run that deer into the lagoon at Pedder bay and kill it. And I now see them running deer up here at work. Old Mrs Yates used to shoot them all the time as they would tear into her goats and sheep along with the cougars. Don't be fooled if a dog gets a taste of the chase it will do it again and again until it will finally catch its quarry.

W.

sounds like a pack of ferals to me and not a couple of dogs or someones family pet that decided to chase a deer till it got bored or lost it . And yes you can break a dog from running deer , some dogs are geneticlly predisposed to chasing deer as some people are geneticlly predisposed to not have the ability or desire to train an animal .