PDA

View Full Version : scent proof camo?

pupper
06-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I am just curious, has anyone noticed a difference in using scent proof camo and if you have what brand works well?

p.s. I am a bowhunter

huntwriter
06-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I have the original Scent-Lok Suit and it works fine but you still have to watch the wind or air current.

As for scent proof camo I have my doupts that it works as well as advertised. Another problem I see is that the camo pattern will bleach out very quickly.

The reasons are that in the scent proof camo the active charcoal liners are not as thick and to activate, respectivley clean the active charcoal you have to put it into the laundry dryer at the hihest setting for at least one half hour. You do this every time after you used the camo. Such harsh treatment will ruin the camo pattern fast as there are no colour dies that can withstand such treatment without fading.

In my opinion you are better off to buy a Sent-Lok Suit which you can wear as an under garment.

gitnadoix
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
http://www.skinnymoose.com/ALSLawsuit.pdf

Not sure if this has been posted before but was hearing the rumblings of a class action law suit against this concept....seems like it has been filed....in the states of course....but if it is not an internet hoax it will be fun to watch the backpedling now......Cabelas Sales alone has gotta be a gazillion $$$$ of this stuff

Gateholio
01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I htink it's called the wind...

You breathe, so scent lok isn't going to help much, IMHO

Might buy you a minute, though:smile:

happygilmore
01-07-2008, 07:50 AM
I find camo to be like your rifle, some work for you others don't. I have scent lok pants and jacket but find deer pick me out and seem to spook faster than if I wear my old jacket and walmart pants. anyone want to buy a scent lok jacket and pants?

shortmagmike
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
my cabella seems to work.a good guillie suit is more helpfull though.

KevinB
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree with Gatehouse - if you're upwind of the animal, within typical shooting ranges, it can probably smell you. A scent lock suit might help a bit in certain circumstances, but being downwind will help you a lot more! I think they are more of a gimmick than anything, but I'll admit I haven't bothered trying them. I have a hard time buying the sales pitches.

CanuckShooter
01-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree with Gatehouse - if you're upwind of the animal, within typical shooting ranges, it can probably smell you. A scent lock suit might help a bit in certain circumstances, but being downwind will help you a lot more! I think they are more of a gimmick than anything, but I'll admit I haven't bothered trying them. I have a hard time buying the sales pitches.

That's why they make cover-scents.....nothing like sharing a tent with a partner that insists on using skunk cover-scent!!!!

Will
01-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I am just curious, has anyone noticed a difference in using scent proof camo and if you have what brand works well?

p.s. I am a bowhunter
IIRC the BEST brand and most recommended according to all the Scent Clothing supporters was/ is the one that's getting sued ! :oops:

It's a gimmick......the only way to prevent an animal from scenting you is to stay upwind IMO :smile:

quadrakid
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
nasa could not come up with a suit to stifle the emanations coming from my nether region so cabela,s has not got a chance, get up a tree be aware of wind pattern.

eaglesnester
04-23-2008, 03:37 PM
putting a stick of charcoal up your kester an't going to work. Its all a sham and hype. Much of your scent comes out of your mouth anyway, whatcha gonna do chew on charcoal as well? I don't think so.

BlacktailStalker
04-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Yep its a scam.
If you dont believe me, put your nose by my arse after a nice big bowl of chili while I'm wearing scent lock pants and smell the flowers :)

budismyhorse
05-09-2008, 07:35 AM
A lot of bowhunters I know absolutely swear by the stuff.

When used properly (washed with scent-free detergent, and kept in a bin or bag until you hit the bush), I have have good luck with it as well. I was pretty skeptical last year so I tested it out by going for whiteys three days straight doing all I could to keep my gear scent free. I can tell you, I could not believe how many more deer I rattled in and/or had walk right up to me sitting on my stumps or leaning against trees. It made a believer out of me for sure. I had several deer walk to within yards of me (downwind). Never, ever that close before. ....and oh yeah, all that bs keeping my gear scentfree, watching my wind all the time and I still misjudged the distance on a buck and fired an arrow low....so you still have to make the shot.

My point being, do the same thing, and use a scent-free hood (70% of your smell is from your mouth and hair) and the extra couple seconds it affords you might turn into meat for the potatoes you might never have been able to take otherwise.

If you hunt with generally longer distance with a rifle, don't bother, just watch your wind. But getting an animal to within bow range can seem impossible at times and that "extra second" it affords you may be well worth the extra effort.

I saw way more game in tight, that alone was worth the price of admission.

Ron.C
05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
I think the stuff does work, but have never tried any of it for a couple reasons.

1. It's expensive as hell, would rather spend my money on other gear.

2. I bowhunt elk in the early season, and can't imagine wearing this stuff while hunting all day. In my opinion, there is no product out there that will keep you 100% scent free when hunting in temps in excess of 28 deg C . You are going to sweat. Most days by mid morning I am in nothing more that a light pair of camo pants and and very light long sleeve T shirt. I even take my cap off when walking to keep as cool as possible.

I try to keep the wind in my face as best I can, and practice scent reducing practices as much as possible " scent free shampoo's, soaps, sprays" and wash all me gear in scent free detergent. I know I am not completley eliminating my scent, but reducing as much as possible while attempting to remain as cool as possible on very warm early September days.