PDA

View Full Version : Need a new boat what do you use and where did you get it??

fudge
12-16-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm looking to get a new boat for duck hunting as the blow up I use has had it. I would like a small sneek boat but am having problems finding one up here. What do you use and where did you get it?? I'm also thinking of a small jon boat???? what do u think??? Thanx

7mag700
12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
I had a Porta-Bote folding boat for a while. It was olive drab, low profile, and lightweight. Always thought it would make a good hunting boat.

7m7

12-17-2010, 09:42 AM
john boats are the way to go. they come in a nice dark olive color, and they are super low and easy to hide. I would get a 12 footer. the 10 we use right now is just a bit small, but does a great job for one man. plus the flat skiffs don't need to much power because they are not pushing a lot of water

Angus
12-17-2010, 10:50 AM
plus the flat skiffs don't need to much power because they are not pushing a lot of water

Well I guess you learn something new everyday. I always thought that the flat bottom boats have to push more water 'cause their bottom is always in the water. Whereas, V hulled boats, when they get up on plane, have less of the bottom surface area in the water.

Either way, I agree with 870, jon boats are the way to go.

12-17-2010, 02:29 PM
there are always some cheap ones on craigslist in bellingham or around there for around 300$

rbduck
12-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Try this site....... Gatorboats.com

I built the one called Big Momma. Plans cost $25.00. Ther are about a dozen different styles including sneak boats. Mine is great. Not hard to build either.

Ron:mrgreen:

Dutch
03-12-2011, 01:02 AM
rbduck that looks pretty cool ,can you handle it by yourself? I like the stability that it appears to have, plus I can fix it with glue ,:mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
03-12-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm looking to get a new boat for duck hunting as the blow up I use has had it. I would like a small sneek boat but am having problems finding one up here. What do you use and where did you get it?? I'm also thinking of a small jon boat???? what do u think??? Thanx

I just bought a Zodiac last weekend; I'll try it out for duckin'.
How did you like your Blow-Up?

My appeal to it, is for its compactness and that it'll serve multiple uses.

rbduck
03-13-2011, 04:02 PM
rbduck that looks pretty cool ,can you handle it by yourself? I like the stability that it appears to have, plus I can fix it with glue ,:mrgreen:

This boat will turn on its own axis, great handling boat. My partner only has one arm and has no trouble with it either.

Ron:mrgreen:

aironly
03-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I've been looking at the spratley boats
very nicely made
www.spratleyboats.com

longshotz
03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Several questions you have to ask here.

Where will you be hunting, sheltered water or open and exposed?
How much weight will you typically carry?
How many people, dogs will you have in the boat?
Are the dogs well trained and boat steady or unruly?
What kind of decoys? goose or duck and how many? 12 goose deeks take up a lot more space than 12 duck.
What size of vehicle do you have to transport the boat?
How about storing it. Where and how.
Will it be strictly a hunting unit or be multi purpose?
And of course what is the budget?
Not as easy as you thought I'll bet. Answer these questions and the selection becomes much more focused.

fudge
03-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Well the big issue is storage right now. I have a lab who is a bit hyper that gose with me adn sometimes one other guy.

Mr. Dean
03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks for your contribution, Fudge.

Foxton Gundogs
03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
A buddy of mine bought a "plastic" one from Canuck Tire about 2 yrs ago paid $450 on sale I think it may be a Coleman but could be wrong They still have them saw 1 yesterday. Its very light just under 12 ft a bit narrow stable as hell tho, holds 2 big guys and all the gear and 2 dogs just fine. He uses a small kicker on it sometimes or poles/rows it we have put that thing thru hell and back and shows no sighn of packing it in. It came green and tan and we put some off color lines and blotches on it with spray paint hides well great little boat at a giveaway price IF you dont do BIG water.

BruceW
04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Last year we picked up a Tracker 12' aluminum Johnboat from Basspro in Calgary. It was just too good a deal to turn down. The 10' is even cheaper. This year I'm building a blind for ours.
Yrs ago the kids and I built a Bolger designed flat bottomed skiff. I can't imagine a more stable boat, and if the water get's choppy and you're underpowered just get everyone to one side and you're edge becomes your keel to break the chop. For bass fishing, you just stand up and walk around. Here's the skiff the kids and I built yrs ago:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/sukametressaracing/Scraps.jpg

They're not the end all to be all, but they're a good choice for somewhat sheltered waters, and especially shallow waters.

Lorne
06-28-2012, 04:16 PM
I picked up an Alumacraft 1036 Jon boat for 650 at Cabelas. Cabelas wont charge you tax just pay at the border, works great put some gun holders on it and a minn kota electric motor, easy to hide, I lay across the bottom in between the seats works great. 10 ft you can manage by yourself, if you always have someone with you the 12 might be better.

Foxton Gundogs
06-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I've been looking a new lund the 1232 is just over $850. I want a 1236 or wider for around 1200 the 1436s just over 1400 and the 1448 are just over 1700.

lip_ripper00
06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
A buddy of mine ordered one of these http://bankesboats.com/freedom.htm should be here in a couple of weeks....

Crazy_Farmer
06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Friends got money $$$$

Ive looked into bringing a freedom for 3-4 yrs now. All said and done rigged with motor looking atleast 25k putting a new motor on it.

No question the cats meow of duck boats. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, never know, few years I may. That or a 17' TDB. Bankes are a stupid tough fiberglass boat.

Itll be good for more duck boats in BC we are seriously lacking. And no joke if he's not happy with it or wants to sell anytime in the future I will buy it. No question.

f350ps
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
A buddy of mine ordered one of these http://bankesboats.com/freedom.htm should be here in a couple of weeks....
They are a nice looking punt but very impracticable for our coastal or marsh hunting. At a weight of 800+ lbs and a draft of 6" good luck gettin off the mud on a dropping tide. That said, it would be a great Brant layout, do they come with a furnace and wet bar? K

HuntNHookSports
06-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Our welded 1548 wieghs in at over 1000 lbs and with a mod-v about 6" of draft. If u know the tides and channels.... We should have got an 18' or even a 20'.

lorneparker1
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
They are a nice looking punt but very impracticable for our coastal or marsh hunting. At a weight of 800+ lbs and a draft of 6" good luck gettin off the mud on a dropping tide. That said, it would be a great Brant layout, do they come with a furnace and wet bar? K

Bankes bigger boats arent exactly punts.... any thing from the freedom upare open water sea duck killers and one of the best built and are very suitable for that application.

Here is my old rig.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/LorneP/seaducksnov13.jpg

I sold it 2 months ago, it wasnt for sale at the time but got an offer out of no where i could refuse. So i bought this more family friendly boat. Not exactly a duck hunting boat obvisouly, but kills fish pretty good. I think I am buying a lay out this year and using it as a tender.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/LorneP/292147_10151784313910162_3746156_n.jpg

Lorne