PDA

View Full Version : On the chuck today

BlacktailStalker
06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Got out on in the local hole today in the salt. Got a nice 9 lb spring and the seals were kind to me and let me boat him. Campsite keeper said not much had been coming in so I had to change that report for him ;) Actually today was the better of the last few days as half a dozen came in between 9-12 lbs. It's a matter of DAYS until the big boys start showing up, they are over due. Still a nice day on the water and, hey, helluva tan too! We stacked rods today and he took a 5" mother of pearl coyote spoon on the top rod. Army truck glow hootchie with a purple haze flasher and a green haze with a OLR12 hootchie also went for a swim today but to no avail. Unusual tide rips today, I havent seen them here in a long long time. Oh yeah a small pod of whales came through so I am sure that put the fish off as well.

Also a friend recently returned from bamfield and hooked into a few 25-40 lb halis, a couple 50's and lost a nice 80-90 at the boat after the harpoon tore out. Bummer!

Good luck !

ratherbefishin
06-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Seals have become a real plague-in some places even picking up the rod brings them sliding off the rocks to follow the boat-forget about actually landing a salmon if you hook one in the vicinity.When I was a kid-there was a $5 bounty on a seals nose-and trust me-any seal you saw stayed well clear of the boat,they certainly didn't swim behind it.
Anyway,there was a curious seal migration about a year ago-the seals seemed to have ''gone to a better place''-and those that remained seem educated-they stay clear.Haven't a clue what ''triggered'' the migration-and nobody's talking......