PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 @ Cowichan 3D Championships

Bow Walker
06-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Arrived at the Clubhouse by 7:10 a.m. Right on time. My "team" was no where to be seen. Typical.

I headed inside to register and was promptly relieved of $30, although it was with a smile. Not from Janis though....she hadn't had a chance to get a cup of coffee yet.

Speaking of coffee! Went straight for the kitchen and was happy to find that coffee was FREE! Since I was informed by the ticket seller that it was free with breakfast, I "donated" .50 cents into a cup. The coffee was well worth the price though......you could stand a Linejammer in it.:shock:

Since my shooting "buddies" were still on the road I got my gear together and headed in the direction of the practice butts. That was when the team finally showed up.....all excuses about someone named Bonzo, who was late getting out of the sack.

After a few practice rounds the five of us headed out to target #1 of the 30 target round. Only one round today, although it was a two arrow round for those that had a bit of a tough time judging distance. Good thing to (for some of the team)!!

We hit the first target at about 8:25 a.m. and I got a harsh reminder of why it is not a good idea to drink several cups of coffee on the drive up from Victoria and to then go in and get one of the TOUGH cups that are brewed at the clubhouse. First target was a "5". Next time I will stop to eat something! It took a couple more targets for me to settle down, but that's life in the big, cruel city.

The course? What can I say!! I have heard about the famous "Hell Hole" but had never experienced it, until now that is (more later). Overall the course was SUPER. Lots of interesting shots - both uphill and downhill....one or two at severe angles but not out of the realm of what you would find out in the bush when hunting. Just a very good mix of easy shots up to tough shots. Doug Gardiner and the rest of the volunteers are to be congratulated. A very well laid out course......

Except for #28. Nothing seriously amiss with this target but #29 was directly behind the animal that was #28!:confused:

To be fair, there was a screen of relatively thick brush and trees between the two targets. But with the way "today's" compound bows shoot arrows it is not beyond the possibility of a stray arrow somehow getting through the 25 yard screen of brush and trees. It gave the party ahead of us a reason to hold up and wait til we had shot #28 before they were comfortable about proceeding to the stake at #29.

Call them overly cautious if you will, but we waited for the party behind us to shoot before we took up our position on the stake at #29 as well. It just made us a wee bit of the willies to know that someone was back there lining up on the target while we were not that far out in front of them.

Anyway - rumour has it that after a gentle tease to the 3D director when we got in to the clubhouse, the problem was addressed.

Good on ya Doug!!:-D

Our party of five shooters went around the course in about two and a half hours, and we were not pushing it. Yours truly is not in the best of shape and two other shooters had problems, one with his ankle and the other with his hip. It was the "Hell Hole" that slowed us down. That is one steep climb down there! Not to mention the climb back out of there. The target placement on the banks of the Hole were well placed to say the least. The one shot down the steep embankment to the Full-curl Ram was a doozy. Gotta judge the distance and also allow for the downward angle as well. Sure made you stop and think.

We were huffing and puffing some when we got to the top of the hill again. Glad for that water bottle I carried. Also VERY nice to see the aid station down at the bottom of the hill, just after the walk along the river. Nice touch guys. Pop, Juice, and Water, all it needed was some kokanee.

We exited the course right beside the clubhouse and were greeted by the smell of BBQ ! ! Gotta love that! Yes we were hungry by then! Starving by the time we cleaned up a bit and hit the kitchen. All was quite for about 10 minutes as we were face-down into our chow. Cheese burgers with lots of fried onions, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mustard, and ketchup....with a side of nachos or potato chips thrown in. All for $3.50 was a steal to be sure. Cold drinks, hot coffee, and a gentle ribbing form the peanut gallery who were not shooting.

Well. We've shot the 30 target course. We've sat and had lunch. We've had our B.S. session about how great we all were and how we meant to miss that target completely (eh Ron?). We even went out and shot at a $5 dollar bill from 70 yds. First one to hit it gets it. Great fun. Now what do we do for 5 or 6 hours until dinner time??

By the way, when I went in to buy my burger I got a peek at some of the stuff for supper. Mmm, mmm, good. But what do we do until then??

A couple of the guys were beginning to set up a "fun-shoot" or two, but it is a long time until dinner.

Someone came up with the idea of shooting another "fun" round on the 30 target course. So we went in to find somebody in charge....only to find out that the course is "now closed" - period. No ifs, ans, buts or maybes. It is closed.

We even suggested that they charge $5.00 per shooter to go out and have a second round, not counting the score of course. All five of us would gladly have paid. But "the course is closed"

We heard from a number of other shooters that they would've liked the opportunity to go out again - even paying $5.00 for the chance. After all it was only noon and the last shooters allowed to go out on the course had left at 11:00 a.m.

We and a bunch of other shooters wanted to contribute more to the coffers of the Club. But........ You guessed it - "the course is closed"

:idea: Time for a hint to the organizers - Want to generate more revenue for the club? Here was a prime opportunity that was missed. I know of at least 8 people that went home. These 8 would've paid to shoot a second round as well as paid to stay to dinner.

But what the heck.....it gave me and others a chance to go home and do some chores so that Sunday could be "guilt-free".

Do not get me wrong. I am not bitching just to stir it up. In fact I am not bitching at all. I genuinely want to see this club (and others) do well. Both financially and membership-wise. Happy shooters are more willing to fork out $$$ than grumpy shooters are. Just a thought.

I will be there for the second half of this two day affair, and I will continue to support this club, my own club, and others as well. I just love this sport.

Sorry for the long post - and thanks to anyone who took the time to read it.

Dan. (one who needs and appreciates the exercise that the Hell Hole offers)

Awishanew
06-03-2006, 07:18 PM
I also went to day1 of the Duncan shoot. I arrived a little late and after registration I proceeded to go over to have a few warm up shots. There were only two people there. One person shooting and another pulling arrows. I asked the guy "Do you think that is safe"? He said she was 6 paces to the side and that it was ok. Myself. I didn't think it was ok and would not shoot any arrows as I would have to go and pull them. He was shooting at 55 meters or yards. To my way of thinking that is not safe. What do you all think?:frown:

timberhunter
06-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Although I was not there today, maybe they closed the course so it would be safe to hold some fun shoots. We will be doing the same at the nanaimo summer classic. Just because of safety, and not wanting anyone being in ANY danger of a stray arrow. Or possibly coming out somewhere they shouldn't, and being behind a fun shoot range.

There is a ton of effort, planning, meetings, and work parties that go into each and every shoot. Sometimes a screw up happens with targets, being too close. We try our best to provide a fun and safe event for everyone.

Marc

Bow Walker
06-03-2006, 07:53 PM
:roll: Just for clarification....the funshoot area is well away from the 30 target 3D course. Safety is always the first concern of anyone planning a course. Which is only right.:grin:

I realize that target placing and stakes need to be moved for the next day's shooting, but this could be taken care of by a few volunteers between 7 p.m and 8 or 8:30 p.m.:wink:

Again. I am not complaining but rather suggesting ways and means to generate more money for the club in question. I was quite happy with the way things went today, and I will gladly be there tomorrow.:grin:

lip_ripper00
06-03-2006, 09:46 PM
:with my best stone face: this is a hunting site if you want to talk about non hunting bow shoots go to the non hunting bow site!!! Sorry had a few rums could 'nt resist hope you guys all had a great shoot:-P

3D4Me
06-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Bowalker,

Yeah, I know what you mean about shooting a second round. My boy wanted to head out again but we waited for a while and ended up having a blast at the fun shoot. Shot flu-flu's at bow birds, running deer and finally at a 'clout' target set up only about 35m away. Had to shoot 'straight up'. It was a lot of fun. Zach won 5 bucks on that one.

Awishanew,

6 paces seems way to close to be shooting while someones pulling arrows. In fact we always sync it so even if someone is shooting closer, you pull arrows at the same time. I know I sometimes need to shoot closeup for the young'uns, and if we do we make sure we're way the hell over. Sometimes there's not even enough room so we have to wait.

I can't say why the course was closed like that. I know there was an incident in the AM. I think it was at target 9 (two raccoons). A young compounder had an itchy trigger finger and released while he was still aimed well above the target and the arrow landed in the midst of the group in front of us at target 14 or so, (the deer in the creek bed). The girl (Wes Reed's wife I think), was only grazed in the side by it, but it caused a bit of panic while they got the target moved and everything under control.

We had a great day and we'll be back tommorrow for more.

Ken.

Eagle1
06-03-2006, 11:10 PM
:with my best stone face: this is a hunting site if you want to talk about non hunting bow shoots go to the non hunting bow site!!! Sorry had a few rums could 'nt resist hope you guys all had a great shoot:-P

I guess you better lay off the rum, this is a target form, the hunting form is the next one.:-D

Eagle1
06-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm glad everyone had a good shoot. The Problem target was dealt with [ one in a million]

Sorry about you not getting to shoot again but the last two years was 40 targets and some people said it was to much so we went to 30 now its not enough, can't please everyone all the time. Have to put a time to it at sometime.

To bad you were a litle impaciont, sit around B.S [some are good at that] The fun shoots started soon and were great,have a couple brews.

Dinner was awsome the cooks did a great job and all the deserts [including cheesecakes] were homemade by our cooks.

Day two should be just as good, nice lil' stroll in the park [ even for us old guys]. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk873DNCA)

Not many goodys [pies,cheesecakes,and such] leftover for sunday, but should be a few.

Come for a great breakfast again put on by our JOP kids,coachs and helpers. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk873DNCA)

Then our nice ribbons and THEN all the draw prizes [deers mine], lots and lots of them to go around.

Doug and the few helpers did a great job. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_10_13.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk873DNCA)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZNxmk873DNCA (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb068_ZNxmk873DNCA)

oldtimer
06-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Awishanew. Very dangerous !!!! Not aloud at any shoot I have ever attended. Every body shoots from the same line, when done someone yells clear and we go and get our arrows. Only way it is allowed. Mike

The 'Hummer'
06-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I guess you better lay off the rum, this is a target form, the hunting form is the next one.:-D
Good point.:-D :grin:

echo
06-04-2006, 02:51 PM
re: the course being closed in the afternoon --- I have never heard of a 2-day 3D course being open after day one, same as i have not heard of a 1-day 3D course being open before that shoot --- the volunteers have put MANY hours into setting up the courses, and know how and why they can change shots to accomodate second rounds on the second day --- so asking to go shoot the course again is very unreasonable.
The willingness to pay does not even factor into the reasons for not allowing shooters on the course before or between rounds.
Time after a round is spent visiting and catching up on 'news' and the fun shoots are just a bonus to while away the afternoon with old and new friends.
As always it was great to visit and catch up.:grin:
~Echo

Bow Walker
06-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Just got home....

Wow - heckova shoot overall ! Day 2 was EXCELLENT:shock:

Rain? What rain? Just a little bit of west coast sunshine in the morning and then it cleared off and was................well, Clear.

All the "problems" of yesterday were taken care with what can only be termed as professionalism, tempered with a huge amount of safety. Great job guys. Doug, Greg, maybe Bill, and all the conscripted volunteers. You worked hard and pulled off another good one. Forget hindsight - it is always 20/20, isn't it?

Yours truly got there in time to have another cup of that high octane. Really good stuff for early morning, when you gotta go all day.

No time for pancakes and sausage this morning - I slept in a bit and now it's time for the 9:30 a.m. shotgun start. Target 6 is a small hike, but we got about 15 minutes to get there - no problem even with Bonzo's three kids tagging along. For the most part they were very interested in what the ol' man was doing. Too bad the ol' man wasn't on his game today. Both me and my brother got slightly sore foots from kickin' his butt all around the course.:wink:

What with last nights sprinkling from above, the course was really soggy today, this made the Hell Hole a bit of a treacherous path to walk. It was definitely negotiable, but you had to be very careful where you placed your feet so as not to end up on your a$$ !

The target placement(s) had been altered, as was expected, and the shots were just as interesting, if not more so, than yesterday. Tough on us out of shape old pharts who are forced to wear glasses in our dotage as the glasses kept fogging up - on me anyway. I ended up taking them off and shooting naked so to speak.

Overall I did manage to raise my score from yesterday. Even if it was only by a meagre 11 points. Did not manage to beat my brother - again. But what the heck we all had a good time. 60 targets overall. 2 days. Total of 84% shooting average. I guess I can't complain too much. But we all want to raise our average, don't we? It's called improvement.

Lunch today was more of the same great burgers and dogs, along with the leftovers from last night's dinner. Pay for a burger or a hot dog and pass by the "buffet" table loaded with goodies from the previous evening's dinner. Talk about a feast for only the price of a burger!!

After lunch we all got a bit of time to sit around and socialize before the winning place awards and the prize draw(s), which was great. Chance to meet old friends and a chance to meet new friends. Spoke with some members of this forum and met some new shooters as well. Lots of coffee, tea, cold drinks, DQ treats, and desserts to while away the time before the awards.

Prizes? Prizes? You betcha Red Rider! Hunting gear, Kitchen gear, Gift certificates, Framed art work, Tools, Clothing, and best of all there was a McKenzie buck there for the winning. At least I think it was a McKenzie, could've been another manufacturer's. But what a prize!! It went to a very, very happy young archer. His dad was all smiles as well. Good for them.

If I have not worn our my welcome at the Cowichan Bowmen Club by posting these threads, I am looking forward to next year's shoot already!

Dan - unrecognized (and recently fired) club promoter.

Eagle1
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Great shoot!!!!

Lots of shooters and just a tad of wet coast sunshine, thats why i have rubber chaulk boots, not a problem for this old guy.
[/URL]
Lunch was great as always, the ladys did a great job { as usual}

[URL="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk873DNCA"]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_72.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk873DNCA)

I hear it don't matter whether you have your glasses on or not http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_1_9.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk873DNCA)

Score what score I shot the pits this weekend, but I still managed to stay ahead of the "unreconized club promoter" , one of my worst scores in a long long time As far as I'm concerned you are not fired and can still be a " unreconized club promoter " and shoot our 3-D shoots any time.

Yea I did help set up and take down the course { as most times for years } cause there ain't many of us that do, as with most clubs, but whatever, it's for fun for everyone.

I even had my name on that deer { Ciblex } But I guess as I was out bringing in the 3-D animals some one else lay claim to it, glad to see it was a young archer. Apparently I can't hit them anyhow.

At least I'm going to eat well a couple of times { what's for breakfast BowWalker } aaaand take a ride on the train at the Forest Museum, Actually they were her { catlady} tickets, I never win any thing when I buy them.

You'll never wear out your welcome BowWalker, NEXT YEAR !!! our hunters round is not to far away, hope to see you { and everyone else } at it.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk873DNCA)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZNxmk873DNCA (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb068_ZNxmk873DNCA)

Bow Walker
06-05-2006, 07:49 AM
The shoot was great. Too bad you couldn't be there, we could've shared all that rum! It would've been nice to put a few faces to a few of the names on here. The boys and girls at C.B. did a bang-up job as usual. The SHOOT, the FOOD, and the PRIZES were all great!!

3D4Me
06-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Hey guys,

That was my boy Zach, that won the deer. He was damn excited and still is. It was the last ticket in our string, so it was pretty close.

Funny, I can't see a brand name on the deer. I know the club ordered some targets from Cibex?(sp), so I expect it's one of those.

Thanks to all who graciously volunteer their time and energy for these events. I told Zach we'll have to start getting in there to help. I know from other such things that 10% of the people do 90% of the work.

It was great to meet you out there Dan. It's good to put a face to the posts. Thanks for acting as PR man on this forum for the club shoot.

Well at least on that course no one can say we don't get excersize doing this stuff.

Ken

Bow Walker
06-05-2006, 08:08 AM
re: the course being closed in the afternoon --- I have never heard of a 2-day 3D course being open after day one, same as i have not heard of a 1-day 3D course being open before that shoot --- the volunteers have put MANY hours into setting up the courses, and know how and why they can change shots to accommodate second rounds on the second day --- so asking to go shoot the course again is very unreasonable.
The willingness to pay does not even factor into the reasons for not allowing shooters on the course before or between rounds.
Time after a round is spent visiting and catching up on 'news' and the fun shoots are just a bonus to while away the afternoon with old and new friends.
As always it was great to visit and catch up.:grin:
~Echo
Echo.....
there were a lot of shooters who were looking for something to do while the FUN SHOOT was being set up (it took a couple of hours). Since the course was slated for change for the next day's shooting it would have been a good idea to charge the people (who wanted to go out again) that were standing around either talking and drinking (or doing both) at least $5 to go out on the course to have another UN- SCORED AND UNREGISTERED round. the only stipulation being that they finish the course - no backing up to get back out and continue gossipping.

My thought(s) were for an additional fundraiser for the club.:idea: Changing the course for the next day's shoot could've been accomplished in an hour or two either just before of right after dinner.

Either way it was a great shoot overall. Lots of work went into the planning and the execution of that plan. Maybe next year there will be a little something more to do in the afternoon?;)

Bow Walker
06-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Eagle.........thanks for the vote of confidence (and the shot about the glasses). You did beat me by a couple of points on Sunday. Good on ya! Even if you did shoot crappy:lol: as pictured below. I will continue to promote both your club and mine (and others as well) because I have too much fun with this sport to let it go.

Bow Walker
06-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Ken - good to formally meet you as well, although I have seen you at a couple of other shoots. Your son(s) shoot really well! Sorry I haven't notice your scores too much.

I'm glad that Zach is tickled about the deer target. I know that I was drooling as were all the rest of the shooters.

Congratulations Zach! :lol: Don't let dad shoot the center out of it until you get a chance at it:wink: and don't forget your little bro' either.:razz:

Dan - a.k.a. BowWalker (cause I haven't been lucky yet)

BowSitter
06-05-2006, 07:45 PM
I too would have liked to walk the course a second time but that was not to be. That being said the course was as good as I've shot yet! Congratulations to Doug and Bill and all the rest of the helpers for holding a first class shoot! But the highest honours still go to the kitchen staff for their expertise in the making of all the meals!! Kudos Girls!!
Oh yea it was a lot of fun to kick my brothers a$$ at his game. LOL.