PDA

View Full Version : hunting with crossbows

BCHunter
04-13-2004, 08:31 PM
I was thinking of packing my crossbow this weekend to the island to hunt bears and a friend said I cant' hunt outside of the bow season with a crossbow? :cry: I don't have my regs around but has anyone heard of this? I thought if I get a bear on the island with my rifle I'd try for a second bear with my crossbow

Marc
04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
As far as I know you can use your bow or cross bow in any open season for rifle if you want to do so. You just can't use a rifle in Bow season.

3kills
04-13-2004, 08:46 PM
thats the way i read it and understand it too...

Gateholio
04-13-2004, 09:05 PM
I was thinking of packing my crossbow this weekend to the island to hunt bears and a friend said I cant' hunt outside of the bow season with a crossbow? :cry: I don't have my regs around but has anyone heard of this? I thought if I get a bear on the island with my rifle I'd try for a second bear with my crossbow

Your friend is incorrect.

The actual documentation is in the "Lawful methods of hunting" section of the Wildlife Act.

Using a crossbow is a "lawful" method, both in the bow and rifle seasons, although there are some local restrictions (Bowen Island, for instance).

It is unlawful to use a rifle in the bow only season. For obvious reasons...We do not have a "rifle only" season in BC that I am aware of.

bone-collector
04-13-2004, 09:19 PM
nope we dont bows are good all the time :D

wounded
04-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Totally legal bchunter.Start flinging those bolts.What crossbow do you have ?what broadhead are you useing for the bear.?

BCHunter
04-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Barnett RC 150, I shooting 100gr Wasp broadheads

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/images/rc150.jpg

BCHunter
04-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Wasp Hi-Tech Cam-Lok SST

The Hi-Tech Cam-Lok now features the stainless steel "Smart Tips" (SST). A rugged, double-wound steel ring is designed to insure retention and stability of the .027 thick blades. Available in 100 and 125 grains.
Designed with devastating simplicity, the WASP Cam-Lok 100 and 125 feature extra thick, super sharp stainless steel blades for superior strength and unmatched performance. They offer easy blade replacement and three-point positive locking. One solid, double-wound high-tensile steel ring exerts a continuous, dynamic radial force for blade retention as a blade cam surface rides under the retention ring. Streamlined aluminum body assures greater flight stability, speed, and unparalleled accuracy.

WEIGHT
BLADE THICKNESS
CUTTING DIAMETER

100gr.
.027" 1 3/16"
125gr. .027" 1 3/16"

bone-collector
04-14-2004, 08:07 AM
the only rules I can see clearly are you must have a bolt that weighs a minimum of 250 grains and a broadhead that at its widest point is 7/8ths of an inch , the only part I didnt get was it kept refering to old school crossbows and saying (this does not aply to compounds) for pull weightsbut never listed a compound crossbow as a reference

and before someone reads it wrong and yes it says :

no person shall hunt big game other than: deer,bobcat.lynx and wolverine with a crossbow

please read the rest of it

(does not include compound crossbows) having a pull of less than 150lbs or a bolt weighing less than 250 grains

it does NOT say you can only hunt those animals , and as far as the bow only season , that was misread by whoever posted it, you CAN use a crossbow in a bow only season so getting a bonus on the extra hunting days I would say :lol:

BCHunter
04-14-2004, 05:03 PM
thanks bone-collector

can't wait until this weekend!

Nails
04-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Good Luck this weekend BCHunter. You have a very effective weapon. Just slip your bolt into the vitals for your shot. Then you won't use your rifle on the second bear, you'll be packing your crossbow for the rest of the w/e. Bones is right on the regs.

GoatGuy
04-14-2004, 09:12 PM
B.C. hunter you should come out to the okanagan for late season whitey's and muley's. If the snow flies bow season's the best time of the year. Oneshotwonder's got a crossbow now, but I don't know if he'll ever shoot it. I've been trying to convince him to use it on bears this spring but he doesn't sound so keen.

BCHunter
04-14-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm hoping to pop a bear this weekend with my bow, I'll do the rifle thing first then try with the bow. I've been hearing on how there are bears all over the coast :roll: I guess I'll see... I plan on taking a bunch of pictures

Are you talking the Nov 25 bow season? I'm down for that! Do you got a bow?

3kills
04-16-2004, 01:56 AM
has anyone here ever shot a bear with a crossbow???what kinda rush is it??? i would think it would be kinda different then even shootin one with a rifle or a bow...it would be a cross between the two wouldnt ya think...

Browning_10
04-08-2005, 12:59 PM
i have actually heard u CANT hunt bears with a crossbow..... im not 100% its just what ive heard

Gateholio
04-08-2005, 02:11 PM
i have actually heard u CANT hunt bears with a crossbow..... im not 100% its just what ive heard

Incorrect.

Using a crossbow is 100% legal for bears.:D

Tuffcity
04-08-2005, 03:00 PM
What Gate said. And if you still have doubts, flip open to page 16 of the 2004-2005 Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis.

RC

Walksalot
04-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Seen some very nice bucks while bowhunting in the rifle season. If I was packing a rifle I would have had a good chance at them but they stayed out of bow range............... if ifs and buts could fill your guts you would have no need for hands. :lol:

houndogger
04-08-2005, 08:53 PM
You can hunt bears with a crossbow.