PDA

View Full Version : I absolutely hate it...

Bow Walker
11-22-2010, 03:24 PM
...when I log on and open up the "New Posts" link. Always, now, there are more than 400 or 500 new posts to go through (sometimes it's as much as >1,000) - and I'm on every day!

The thing that I hate is that by the time I read (and sometimes type a reply to) the ones that interest me the last page or two of the "new posts" has "timed out" and I can't access them anymore. So I click on the "Home" link and I get a new post advisory of about 35 or so. I've lost a good half of the original new posts.

Is there a way to lengthen the time out process so that I can read all the new posts?

That'd be very, very helpful.

Clint_S
11-22-2010, 03:39 PM
If you go through every post you are spending too much time on the internet.
Just ignore anything by Jelvis as a starting point. :)

Bow Walker
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't read every post. If I wanted to do that I'd just go to the Forum page and start at the top. :-D

It's just that by the time I make my way thru the ones I do want to read too much time has passed (according to the computer gods) and I get chopped off the last page or two of posts...:evil: Grrr.

Ubertuber
11-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Change your settings so you display 40 posts per page rather than the forum default (25 I believe). More posts per page = less pages.
Try Opening each page in a new tab as soon as you logon. That way you can click on each page as you see fit.
You can also change the posts per page manually by adding a 0 to the 25 on your address bar. Add the bold numeral like bellow while viewing your second page and you should get 250 posts per page..
...huntingbc.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=4108916&pp=250&page=2

Bow Walker
11-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Change your settings so you display 40 posts per page rather than the forum default (25 I believe). More posts per page = less pages.
Try Opening each page in a new tab as soon as you logon. That way you can click on each page as you see fit.
You can also change the posts per page manually by adding a 0 to the 25 on your address bar. Add the bold numeral like bellow while viewing your second page and you should get 250 posts per page..
Ya know- opening the "New Posts" in a new tab should alleviate the problem nicely. I hope. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

boxhitch
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm a slow reader too.
Have found that when I see 6 or 8 pages of new posts, I'll go to the last page first and work back.
The hotter topics will be refreshed again by the time I get around to them.

Sitkaspruce
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Ya know- opening the "New Posts" in a new tab should alleviate the problem nicely. I hope. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

That is what I do, it works well!!!

Like tonight, I had 26 different pages (tabs) open. Easy to look at each and view as time allows.

Cheers

SS

Mr. Dean
11-23-2010, 01:05 AM
x2

Log on.
Take care of some bizz.
**POOF** Timed out.

ttruscott
11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Change your settings so you display 40 posts per page rather than the forum default (25 I believe).

I've tried to do this many times - it hasn't taken yet. Stuck on 25, <sigh>.

d6dan
11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
I've tried to do this many times - it hasn't taken yet. Stuck on 25, <sigh>.
Just changed mine to 40 and its working fine..must be that I'm on Shaw cable:mrgreen:..

Kody94
11-25-2010, 12:00 PM
x2

Log on.
Take care of some bizz.
**POOF** Timed out.

x3

I've even had to take HuntingBC off as my home page. It opens and automatically logs me in, but then I have to look quick to see what has happened since my last login....unfortunately, I often went on-line to do something more urgent and by the time I get back to HBC it's timed out.

Gateholio
11-25-2010, 01:13 PM
You guys are being logged out and have to enter password etc again?

Kody94
11-25-2010, 01:20 PM

EDIT: yes. That is what is happening, technically....but in my case I have "re-logging in automatically" selected, so I don't have to enter password, and don't even know that I was logged out.

Gateholio
11-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Maybe multiple tabs is the only way....Unless you can edit your time to log out on your profile?

7mag700
11-25-2010, 01:37 PM
If you're checking daily anyway then just use 'Today's Posts' under 'Quick Links'.

7m7

Gateholio
11-25-2010, 02:17 PM
What is everyones posts per page setting at?

(How many posts per page do you see? 10? 20? 30? 40?)

Ubertuber
11-25-2010, 03:10 PM
You can have 250 posts per page if you do what I mentioned above.
Note - It must be done while viewing the second page.

oldschoolguy
11-25-2010, 03:40 PM
or you can do it on the first page. just ad "&pp=250" or you can substitute any number for that.

Ubertuber
11-25-2010, 03:49 PM
or you can do it on the first page. just ad "&pp=250" or you can substitute any number for that.Yes, that would work as well.

Mr. Dean
11-26-2010, 02:59 AM
It's not about posts per pg (I think).

I pretty much use the "new post" feature and work from that. If I spend too much time on one thread and then wanna 'go back' to where I opened up (using backspace key), I lose all the "new posts" that I previously had to work with and only shows what is "new" since I was timed out. The ONLY way to recover the (now) lost posts is to go into the "todays posts" feature, but you now miss out on being able to go directly to where you last left the thread, the last time you logged on (yesterday or the day before....). You have to sift through it.

It just happened again and this is how I found this thread. Yup, sucks.

Bow Walker
11-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm not getting "logged out", I'm getting timed out and can't read the last few pages. This happens when I go into the New Posts from the home page - and only when I go in a page at a time.

What is everyones posts per page setting at?

(How many posts per page do you see? 10? 20? 30? 40?)
Mine is the website default - what ever that is...

It's not about posts per pg (I think).

I pretty much use the "new post" feature and work from that. If I spend too much time on one thread and then wanna 'go back' to where I opened up (using backspace key), I lose all the "new posts" that I previously had to work with and only shows what is "new" since I was timed out. The ONLY way to recover the (now) lost posts is to go into the "todays posts" feature, but you now miss out on being able to go directly to where you last left the thread, the last time you logged on (yesterday or the day before....). You have to sift through it.

It just happened again and this is how I found this thread. Yup, sucks.
I use the New Post link as well. That's where my problem originated. The New Posts link will open up the first of (maybe) 6 or 8 pages. By the time I've worked my way through (reading/posting/replying) to the end of the 4th page and try to cloke on the 5th page - I get this stupid timed out notice :evil:.

Now I've been getting in the habit of opening each page in a different tab - as advised. It seems to be working. Bit of a PIA, but at least it works.