PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best Cougar hounds........

Sniper
05-30-2006, 08:34 PM
If you can't nominate your own dogs who has the best Cougar Hounds in B.C. that you know of and what qualities make those hounds Top Dogs!
I don't know of all the hounds and their owners in B.C. but I have met a few owners and seen some of their dogs in action.
Rod Hardie from Port Alberni has the best hounds I know of on Vancouver Island his No.1 dog Sally strikes from the rig on Cougar. The rest of Rods crew are pro's all Walkers, they get run on cats regularly and treed 104 cats last year. Plenty of the cats where treed several times through out the year but counted as another treed cat, same cat different day. They are hunted most of the year dry ground and are broke off Bears, Deer and Trash, Rod did an awesome job training his hounds.:-)

Barracuda
05-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Rod Hardies dogs are the same as Georges Tickels dogs (They are Hunting Partners and basiclly sister kennels the dogs are all directly related ) . Thats what I bred Winnie with So i would say they are definatly top bloodlines and two of my pups were kept by George and are in the mix now also :biggrin: ,
I am trying to take after what they have done and train mine in much the same manner ( George is helping in that respect) . I have two that strike from the truck :D , and I have gotten a pretty good handle on the roading . and of course the handleing.

His hounds are top notch genetics, trained very well and have exceptional manners .
It is what we aim for when it comes to our hounds

Fred
05-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Tony up in Kamloops sure seems successful with his dogs and the one that BCHunter bought(Boone) is very well trained. Fred

Barracuda
05-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Danny was saying he is really happy with Boone, sounds like a really good hound .

Fred
05-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Yup, the other day when the pups were let loose on that bear it was Boone who came back when called and we all fussed over what a good boy he was. It was Mikes dogs that disappeared for 7 1/2 hours! :shock: Fred

Barracuda
05-31-2006, 12:41 AM
Yup, the other day when the pups were let loose on that bear it was Boone who came back when called and we all fussed over what a good boy he was. It was Mikes dogs that disappeared for 7 1/2 hours! :shock: Fred

It is a horible feeling trying to find hounds in heavy brush. as long as the signal is there i normally feel pretty good (mine have been on a hot bear and i have listened to the signal get less and less till it dissapears :shock: ) . 7 1/2 hours is a real long time to spend worrying about your hounds.

I like hounds that handle well , check in when they find nothing workable and load back up to rig , also come back when called so they dont get to far ahead when you are roading or just give a whistle or toot so they slow down or wait up for you.

Sniper
05-31-2006, 09:04 AM
O.K. The Nominees Are :

Rod Hardie Walkers Port Alberni
Georges Tickels Walkers Fraser Valley
Tony Barnes Redbones & Black n Tans Savona

What about Kim Robinson from Merritt ? Kim breeds and trains hounds I have spoken to him on the phone but never seen his dogs or met him. Seems to really know his stuff and has several breeds?

Barracuda
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Well i dont like the idea of nominating this person or that person because each person breeds for their own requirments . There are lots of guys that breed for their own program and tree lots of game . There are also big names such as Dan Lay and Ronnie Boorman etc .. I would never say this person or that person has the best hounds because it is far to subjective.

The Hounds and People that run them are ones that i admire and strive to make acheivments in my hounds as they have . Does it mean they are the best? Perhaps not , but their dogs have the qualities that i look for in a hound yet they might not suit someone else .

Sniper
05-31-2006, 11:34 AM
O.K. Barracuda I understand your points, maybe I chose the wrong title for the thread but the reason I would like people to talk about the other guy's hounds and what they admire about them is so that we learn about other good dogs in B.C. We wouldn't learn much of anything if people talk about there own dogs most people tend to think right or wrong that they have the best dogs. What about Dan Lay and his Lazer hounds? I have heard that they have a lot of Bloodhound in them and I know a couple people that bought and raised his pups, Jerry Brunem the Conservation officer that recently retired on the Island. Dan Lay has a Top reputation in the U.S. and also a 2 year wait list for pups.:smile:

Spokerider
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Yes, this is an old post, from May of 2006, but for those with an interest in hounds, you probably have some interest in the hound breeds and breeders of yesteryear.

I was reading that Dan Lay used to breed hounds, and some of his original stock came from Jim Dewar of Vancouver Island, and that Jim Dewar brought his hounds to the island directly from the Lee Brothers in Arizona.
Is Dan still breeding hounds? Or his son Kyle Lay keeping the line going? Anybody have his contact info to PM?

91Jason91
01-18-2012, 04:28 PM
omg 104 cats treed thats insane

Barracuda
01-18-2012, 04:57 PM
sent you a pm

BCHunterTV
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
the best hounds ive seen have been Heinz 57 hound mixtures, so far to date theyve out done any purebred hound

One thing ive learned when it comes down to houndsmen and hounds, book smarts and having the knowledge to gab is one thing BUT actual field experience is what separates the boys from the girls and chasing hounds or hounds chasing cats.

Marc before you jump all over the that breed The Lays bred there is a few things to look at when getting a hound, the parents hunting experience (pictures are worth a thousand words!) AND IMPORTANTLY its all about getting those young pups out early in actual hunting experiences to help them develop into good dogs.

Foxton Gundogs
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Been gone from that country for a few years now but Dan was still breeding a few years ago. If memory serves me he was having some kind of problem with bitches catching or their heat cycle or something like that but was still producing good pups.

Barracuda
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
the best hounds ive seen have been Heinz 57 hound mixtures, so far to date theyve out done any purebred hound

One thing ive learned when it comes down to houndsmen and hounds, book smarts and having the knowledge to gab is one thing BUT actual field experience is what separates the boys from the girls and chasing hounds or hounds chasing cats.

Marc before you jump all over the that breed The Lays bred there is a few things to look at when getting a hound, the parents hunting experience (pictures are worth a thousand words!) AND IMPORTANTLY its all about getting those young pups out early in actual hunting experiences to help them develop into good dogs.

As far as i know lays dogs are a mix of several hounds originally and what has worked the best for them .

BCHunterTV
01-18-2012, 07:24 PM
i know there a certain mix of breeds into their very own now, Laser Hounds?

i heard the pups are big $$$

CatsPreb
02-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Lancaster hounds are exceptional.. Good luck getting one

Barracuda
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Heard the Lancaster hounds were really good hounds.

Best thing to do is hunt with the dogs and link them up to your GPS to find out if they are what you want , That way you can see how they perform in certain conditions and terrain.
Whether or not they are only run on sure tracks or they start an old track etc or they will work an area till they pick up a track etc .

Link up all the dogs on each others Astro so everyone can see who does what and it removes doubt and answers questions and allows you to correct issues.

Sniper
02-05-2012, 06:17 PM
One of the CO,s had Dan Lays dogs he said Dan Lay mixed a little Blood Hound into his line, my son has dogs from Lancasters line they also have a little Blood Hound mixed into their line so far they are working out pretty good it's their first year hunting, they are really healthy looking dogs.

Buck206
02-12-2012, 12:10 AM
lancasters use magestic tree hounds, there a blood hound bred too a coonhound'[walker,bluetick,redbone,black&tan,redtick] ,you keep doing this for a few genrations and you get a majestic, check the breed out www.nmtha.com (http://www.nmtha.com)

Foxton Gundogs
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Now not being "up" on hound lines I am asking this sincerely. I used to have a couple of Redbones when I was over Grand Forks way. I was told by some of the old time houndsmen that I knew that Redbones derived in the south from bloodhound Xs and hence the oldschool term "saddleback" hound. So if that is the caes that would add more bloodhound to a lot of the blended lines and increase cold trail abbilities would it not? I know my 2 were killers on a cold scent.

Barracuda
02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
pretty much all the breeds of coonhounds with the exception of the Plot share the same basic background. Foxhound,bit of bloodhound/old school scenthound, a pinch of razzle dazzle and probably some handsome stranger thrown in for good measure.

FirePower
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
pretty much all the breeds of coonhounds with the exception of the Plot share the same basic background. Foxhound,bit of bloodhound/old school scenthound, a pinch of razzle dazzle and probably some handsome stranger thrown in for good measure.

Well said, when hunting in the south a became friends with a family who produced the same line of redbones for generations. Grandpa Mosbey told me he remembers his Grandfather telling him yhey developed the strain along with freed slaves and other "poor folk" by sneaking their bitches in heat into the mantracking prison bloodhounds. Their dogs were classic redbones but some exhibited a faint saddle on their backs reflecting their beginnings.