PDA

View Full Version : bow help

Iron-Head
05-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Need some advise. I have a couple question that I am hoping a few of you bow hunters out there could answer for me. First off I have filled out an online questionaire that tells you your draw length and I filled it all out with the right info and with me being 6' I got told I had a 28 and one half inch draw length, does that sounds about right?
Secondly I am wondering what the weight comparison is like with a draw weight compared to real metal weights, Is it as noticable? Do you find the said weight to be easier to pull than if that where hooked up to a home gym type thing? Basically is a 55lb pull as noticeably heavy as a 55lb dumbell type thing.
Any info would be great, Thanks allot Symon.

Eagle1
05-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I think you should be more like a 29/30 draw, it all depends on how long your arms are and how wide across the back you are. I'm 5'11 shoot 30 inch.
Compound starts out heavy than drops off 65/80% , recurve/longbow build up to the weight at your draw lenght. Dumbells have no resitance force bows do, at 50/55 lbs should be a good place for a 6' beginner to start, uses some different mucles than weight lifting, just don't over do it at first, only shoot a few arrows and slowly build up.
Good luck/shoot straight

Iron-Head
05-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah kind of what I was thinking, Thanks for the info tho!
Symon

Fred
05-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Symon, I regularily during the day pick up weights of 60 to 90 pounds but cannot draw over 60 with my compound. Fred

Nails
06-01-2006, 05:29 AM
Good info from Eagle 1, Good Luck Symon

willyqbc
06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
draw length is a funny thing, most people believe your draw length is set in stone, but it is really dependant on a number of different variables in the way you choose to shoot.

Firstly your anchor, are you going to shoot with your nose on the string or with a kisser button and the string alongside your nose? this varible can make an inch difference.

release - the style of release you use can make up to an inch of difference.

loop or no loop? this can also make up to an inch of difference

you need to figure out all the varibles and go and get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.

Chris

greybark
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
:grin: Hey Symon , Generally the archers draw on a traditional bow is 1 to 2 inches shorter than a compound.
:-D Good luck on your archery adventure .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Jetboater
06-01-2006, 09:22 AM
symon dont be mistaken by draw length, I am 5 '11 and I shoot a 28 inch draw, on the hunting side draw length is a little shorter and you can shoot from more positions, like willyQ said there is a lot of variables to choose from and nowadays modern bows have a lot of adjustment. releases and anchor points make a hge difference.

Walksalot
06-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Get measured and set up by a qualified person.
Also, remember, pulling the bow back once or twice is totally different than pulling it back 50 times or pulling it back after you have been sitting in the cold for a few hours. Don't over bow yourself.
Correct form comes from proper instruction, proficiency comes from practice and practice has to be fun.

Iron-Head
06-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Most definately true, I used to have a PSE Spyder that was up to 40 lb pull I had it on 40 and I found it quite easy But I know allot can change when in the field! Thanks everyone for the information, I am gonna keep looking for a bow and hopefully the right one with the right price might show up!
Any suggestions on a good bow?
Symon

FullDraw
06-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Get a Chekmate best built bow around!

FullDraw