PDA

View Full Version : Favorite target?

BlacktailStalker
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Gotta buy a new target for my compound, what does everyone like/ dislike? I have a Morrel thats a real pain in the ass to get even field points out of, literally have to lay it down on the ground and grip it with two hands and really haul on the arrow to get em out.
Are those Blocks any good? I'd prefer to get one that will take field points and broadheads, although 90% of my shooting will be with my practice arrows and just a few shots to make sure the hunting arrows are still flying true.
Thanks

huntwriter
05-29-2006, 04:46 PM
I use "The Block", a little expensieve, and a few McKenzy 3-D targets. Before I shoot the arrows into the targets I give them a dusting of WD40 on the front. Treated like this they are easier to pull out of the targets.

The 'Hummer'
05-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Along the lines of what Huntwriter mentioned, I use 'the block' but just for practice with broadheads. I also have a McKenzie 'Tuff Buck' for field & treestand practice, using field tips. Also for use of field tips I've made up a target bag stuffed with plastic bags & plastic wrap. To assist in removal, especially on 3D targets, a buddy of mine & Archery Lanes in Sherwood Park AB, gave me a bar of soap made up for rubbing/coating arrows. Works well.

Eagle1
05-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Go to your local feed store and get a sack, stuff it with plastic, shrink style works really good, liquer store, automotive parts store should be more than happy to give it to you. The bag I use for field points has like screen door/window trimings in it, your local door/window or car window glass place should be able to help with end trims [ scrape]. It works great and fairly easy to pull. My local archery club has a sand pit for broadheads,real easy to pull.
For hunting arrows WD-40 really smells [not good] ever wonder if it breaks down the glues carbon arrows are held together with, it breaks down rust [metal] soap works okay, one that has no smell for hunting arrows, I'll stick with commercal lube, it's been tested for carbon arrows.

Nails
06-01-2006, 05:20 AM
I use the block, it is a great target for field points and easy removal for broadheads also. The broadheads do more damage to the block thats for sure. Using plastic wrap and such in targets is great for field points but a real pain, when you want to use broadheads. Pulling broadheads out of the plastic wrap targets can be hard, because the plastic binds onto the head. You are pulling out a big wad of plastic if you drive your broadhead deep into the target. They are still a cheap target if your starting out. Good Luck.

FlyingHigh
06-01-2006, 09:51 PM
I use a Tuff Stop. works fine for me. reasonably priced around 80 bucks.