PDA

View Full Version : Ling Cod opening in Strait of Georgia June 1

Johnnybear
05-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Check out the DFO Website. Ling cod will be opening June 1 in certain area's of the Georgia Strait with a one per day limit and an 10 annual limit. I'll be heading out right after work on Thursday night to try out a couple of holes that I know.

Iron-Head
05-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Could you put a link to the information please?
Symon

Mr. Dean
05-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Here you go. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=88548&ID=recreational

Iron-Head
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks, that gives me some ideas:rolleyes:.
Symon

BlacktailStalker
05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Hey thats awesome ! Thanks for sharing. I heard a rumour months ago it might happen but you know how rumours are...

Johnnybear
06-02-2006, 07:34 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Cod_fishing_004a.jpg
Went out late last night and got about an hour and a half of fishing in off the fingers. The first mate (my son) got a nice 3 footer. The skipper got skunked:?. We were using a spreader bar and whole herring off the bottom at about 250 feet. His arms are like hamburger this morning:-D.

MRBucks
06-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Nice fish! Get out the deep fryer. I have missed catching (and mainly eating) those lunkers. There must be thousands of them out there, with the seasons being so limited for several years now. You would think if they really wanted a good comeback, they would restrict the commercial guys more, and not pick on us recreational fishers. Hope I catch one before the 5000 maximum harvest limit is reached!

mrdoog
06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Awesome fish!
Fresh of the boat, better than frozen halibut
enjoy

mr eagle
06-03-2006, 03:26 PM
There are tons of lings in the Strait. I caught and released 13 of em one evening last summer, 9 or 10 would have been of legal size to keep.

LUCKY
06-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Nice Ling!! Bet he had a good battle.

I went out in Brentwood on Sat. am.
Caught 4 under sized lings, 1 rock cod and a few sea bass.

We were jigging with a few basic jigs. Just feeling things out. 150 - 200 ft. Maybe I should have been deeper. I will take the hali rod next time and try spreaders a bit deeper.

Prawning sucked! I think the comercial opening cleaned things out pretty good. It will take a while to recover.

Lucky

MB_Boy
06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Prawning sucked! I think the comercial opening cleaned things out pretty good. It will take a while to recover.
Lucky

I spent the weekend at Silva Bay and we pulled the traps 3 times......and in total got 22 prawns.....the commercial guys were working it hard all up and down that side. On a good note......caught a bunch of bottom fish.....no Ling keepers, but lots of fun none the less.

Johnnybear
06-05-2006, 05:35 PM
We went on Saturday between Snake Island and New Castle and dropped the prawn traps on either side of the big trench and had a total of 8 traps down for about 2 hours. Went fishing for lings but all we got were a couple of yellow eyes. One was like a friggin pumkin and had to be the biggest I've caught on the East side of the island. Pulled the traps and got a total of 256 prawns. Most of them were small and only a handful were jumbo size like the ones we were getting earlier this spring. Nice weather and a beautiful day on the water.