PDA

View Full Version : Let's open a can of worms...

Sideofabarn
05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
So my big roadie to the US and eastern Canada starts in a week. Just my luck to be in Newfoundland months prior to moose season! My plan of hitting the Cabela's stores will finally reach fruition. I have read recently about US customs getting excited when we try to take hunting stuff across the border. I am looking at buying a new sight for my bow, and maybe a few other archery/bowhunting trinkets when I'm there. Anyone tried this, and how were the customs folks on both sides? I'd be less than impressed to find out I too was exporting "materials of war", and wasting a bunch of cash in the process; although starting a war with a bow hasn't happened in a while. I guess I'm being a tad paranoid, but it would fairly suck to have all my new toys taken away.
Toby

Tuffcity
05-26-2006, 09:05 PM
I fairly certain it's only firearm related stuff that the US authorities get excited about. Canadian Customs just wants the tax.

RC

huntwriter
05-26-2006, 09:24 PM
As far as I know it's only about firearm related objects where they get a bit antsy about it. Wit archery equipment you should be "safe" but don't quote me on it. The best way would be to get some information from the horses mouth. ;)

Have a good, save and enjoyable trip.

Canuck2
05-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Sideofabarn, I live very close to the US border. I take my equipment across the border to shoot all the time and have never had any trouble. What you do need to do is stop at the Canadian side before crossing and have one of them little green cards filled out for every item you have with a serial number on it (bow especially). Also, I have purchased archery items in the states from time to time, including things like broadheads, and it's not a problem. Like any other purchases, you just declare them when reentering Canada.