PDA

View Full Version : Duck Hunting?

Dayto
05-23-2006, 09:19 PM
OK , well latelly I have been wanting to get into Duck Hunting i know of a few good ponds and rivers that hold a decent amount of Birds , I got all the gear .12 Stevens with a Adjustable Choke , and 1300 Goose gun ,I have a 10Ft Zodiac (camo) and a 12FT Fiberglass .

So Im needing to my Bird License (Where would I pick one up,how muchy) and what other type of gear would I need ? The sport looks fun and nothing better then smoked duck:-D

Thanks guys.

Iron-Head
05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
You will have to go a post offoce to obtain your migratory game bird permit. As for other gear a mallard call will pretty much bring in any duck and a set of decoys and your set as far as Im concerned. Good luck.
Symon

Ian F.
05-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Knowing where the birds want to be is the key to waterfowling and it sounds like you have that piece of the puzzle.

The first thing I would suggest is making sure your Stevens can handle modern steel loads, it may not be able to. The 1300 most likely can. Further with the guns, take them out and pattern them and see what you are actually throwing and what choke combo works for you. I'm a fan of #3's for steel for ducks, #1's for sea ducks, BB's for geese, but you will also need to find what you like and what your gun shoots well.

Next I would say spend as much time as you can at the clay targets as you can before the season. The rule of thumb is put a case (500 shells) of shells into clay targets and thoughtful practice and you will improve you success in the marsh 10 fold! I'm a big fan of skeet for newer shooters as it really helps you learn about lead and swinging and how to hit a target, after you have that figured out then go to the very unpredictable world of sporting clays. Trap is just a game that although it gets you used to shooting and hold a gun does little for the field IMHO, but if it's all you've got, something's better then nothing!

And my #1 piece of advice, buy a face mask and wear it! Your face is what sticks up and sticks out in the marsh, it's what scares the birds away, with movement of course...

Enjoy the journey!

Very best,

Ian

dave
05-26-2006, 09:48 AM
A couple of other additions that will make your days more enjoyable would be a set of waders, to keep you dry and a dog to retrieve the birds. A dog may not be essential but for me 1/2 the fun is watching a good retriever do what they were bred to do.

Dirty
05-26-2006, 10:05 AM
If you are in the Lower Mainland, you will need the Special Area Permit in addition to the Migratory Bird Permit. If you bleong to the BCWF or a rod and gun club they usually provide you with a number in order to get the special area permit. This number ensures that you have liability insurance. If you do not belong to either, you will need to bring your house insurance policy in to the sporting goods shop and prove that you have sufficient liability insurance. Make sure the policy is a current one and you have the papers with you when purchasing the license. I hope this helps.

drew07
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
I can't wait to gets some green heads. Anyone do any duck hunting in the Clinton area. Im farley new to B.C. and have found afew spots to hunt ducks and geese. Looking for more!!! Im also looking to buy a small aluminum boat .

drew07
06-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Where abouts in BC do you hunt and do you have a dog.

Dano
06-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I hunt the Pitt Marsh and the lower mainland. I have done some shooting in the Ft. Saskatchewan area and up around Quennel. Lots of birds around the Pitt last year, I've seen lots of geese flying around in recent weeks so it looks great for the goose opener coming in september.
I have a black lab, "Maddy", wouldn't leave home without her!
Danohttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/299maddy4.JPG