PDA

View Full Version : fresh water trout

timber
05-23-2006, 05:18 PM
I just bout 365 acers in pg and it has a 17 acer lake on it that is 70 ft deep in the middle,it has one creek going out and three little ones coming in that are small but i have a hoe so the in creeks can become one to make a spawning channel, where can i by rainbow and cutthout to put in and where is a good place for info on spawning beds.

PGKris
05-23-2006, 07:33 PM
WHOOOAAA! STOP! Back up. First, you can't "buy" trout to stock in lakes. Second, you can't stock cutties here cause they aren't native. Third, you can't drive a hoe in a creek. Fourth, there is already a population of trout in whatever lake you may have purchased the land around. Fifth, you don't own the lake, you own the land around the lake. Sixth, if you run a hoe in the creeks or stcok fish in the lake, DFO will fine you so much your eyes will bleed; you might even get jail time.
Where is this land? I would suggest you not touch the lake as you don't own it. You can't own a lake.

endtimerwithabow
05-23-2006, 08:14 PM
yes you can buy trout. there is a guy just outside of abby he has a u-catch he buys 10000 orso fingerlings and raises them to about 14" or bigger and then its open season on them, you only pay if you catch no catch and release. they taste ok. i know this becauce we have went there and I talked to him. good fun for the kids. phone DOF and ask about it. the best thing is you own them and you can catch them any way you want. i beleive they are the gerard strain fast growers. look in the phone book and get his # and call him to see where and how much. Have fun i know i would.:grin:

timber
05-23-2006, 08:57 PM
thanks endtimewithabow :grin: im all over it. PG I do own the lake. its man made.the guy how did it was making a deal with ducks unlimited and the deal ended. so i have a lake with ducks and beaver and no fish:roll: the creeks are from the land cleared to make the hay feilds, And this is all on my land.THERE is no native fish PG.

huntwriter
05-23-2006, 09:10 PM
If you have a private lake you can stock that lake with what ever pleases you. As long such stocked fish do have have access to the fishery waters.

As for native fish. Most stocked fishing lakes hold rainbows, browns and cutthroat trout. Heck, if I had a few acres of land I would dig all up and make a huge pond for largemouth bass and open it to fishers for pay per catch. ;)

PGKris
05-23-2006, 11:51 PM
If it has a creek you cannot, repeat, CANNOT stock non-native fish in it. The creek goes into either the pacific or arctic watershed. Huntwriter, that was dumb. Stocking LM Bass in BC would be suicide. Why do people exercise the need to f*ck with the native flora and fauna? Holy man. You guys are over the top. If you do any of that DFO is going to scream bloody murder. Just cause you own the land and the lake (supposedly) doesn't mean you have right to do anything you friggin well want. I'm not going to post here any more cause you obviously won't listen so go ahead and see what happens.

Kirby
05-24-2006, 12:54 AM
PG kris, you are right and wrong. A man made lake can be owned, as the natural habitat isn't water, however, you cannot screw with water sheds that have contact with naturally occuring water sheds. Before doing anything I would contact DFO.
Timber, Ducks would not create a 70' deep lake(usually) I would be inclinded to figure out the natural water level. If you continue with stocking the lake I would go with rainbow, NOT BASS!!!!! This would as PGkris so eliquently said "**** with natural flora and fauna". If you stock it like kris said you could be in some serious crap. Definatly find out more from DFO and what ever MOF is calling themselves these days.

Kirby

huntwriter
05-24-2006, 01:48 AM
If it has a creek you cannot, repeat, CANNOT stock non-native fish in it. The creek goes into either the pacific or arctic watershed. Huntwriter, that was dumb. Stocking LM Bass in BC would be suicide. Why do people exercise the need to f*ck with the native flora and fauna? Holy man. You guys are over the top. If you do any of that DFO is going to scream bloody murder. Just cause you own the land and the lake (supposedly) doesn't mean you have right to do anything you friggin well want. I'm not going to post here any more cause you obviously won't listen so go ahead and see what happens.
PGKris, go back and read my post again and you will see that I said, "As long such stocked fish do have have access to the fishery waters." In this case you can do pretty much as you please. It is his land.

timber
05-24-2006, 07:12 AM
If it has a creek you cannot, repeat, CANNOT stock non-native fish in it. The creek goes into either the pacific or arctic watershed. Huntwriter, that was dumb. Stocking LM Bass in BC would be suicide. Why do people exercise the need to f*ck with the native flora and fauna? Holy man. You guys are over the top. If you do any of that DFO is going to scream bloody murder. Just cause you own the land and the lake (supposedly) doesn't mean you have right to do anything you friggin well want. I'm not going to post here any more cause you obviously won't listen so go ahead and see what happens. PGKris, relax there is no fire. I have all ready emailed DFO last week, there just real slow on the retrun they don't dive in with both feet till they know all the fax's:? I know very little about this stocking fish so i am looking for as much info as i can find out. I am hoping after tax's and 20 years down the road after paying it off to the bank to make my chooses of fish i like:eek: yes I know they will want that native fish that's in all the lakes up there.The one with all the bones in it (squaw fish) and spoted owls in the trees.

BlacktailStalker
05-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Thats awesome, hope your back yard fishery works out. I'd be inclined to go with the rainbows as well as some sort of stickle back as a food source for them. I think the bass would really decimate any other species of fish if you had two species in there. Fish always find a way to spawn and it'd be pretty cool to stock it with a certain size fish and a few years later catch one smalller than the ones you stocked it with and wonder, "Where the hell did that come from!" A few guys around here have home made lakes and lunker 4-5 pound trout in them.

bighornbob
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Timber

The creek that comes out of the pond/lake where does it go and how big is it?

BHB

timber
05-24-2006, 02:10 PM
it go's about 100 yards and peters out in an out slash cut. it 12'' wide

Schmaus
05-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Well the way people have been flying off the handle lately. I don't know if I should post this cause i'm not sure but......
I don't know if rainbows will last very long because they need running water to spawn and I get the impression that your creek may not hack it. But then I maybe wrong

LOC
05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
I know of two suppliers here in the lowermainland - SunValley Trout and Spring Valley Trout, both supply Rainbows. We've bought fish from both for stocking our lake.

Enoy the property!!

huntwriter
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Schmaus - Mill Lake in Abbotsford and a few other, like Fishtrap Creek, hold rainbow trout and that is no running water to speak of. Just my 2 cents.

I too always thought rainbows need running water as we in Europe only see them in rivers and creeks, but it seems here they do just as fine in still waters.

boxhitch
05-24-2006, 07:31 PM
You may not get naturally spawning fish, so the restocking may be a regular thing. Check with the local MOE (provincal), because I think the small lakes/fisherys fall under their jurisdiction, not DOF.(federal)

Fred
05-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Schmaus - Mill Lake in Abbotsford and a few other, like Fishtrap Creek, hold rainbow trout and that is no running water to speak of.

Fishtrap Ck is also alleged to have Bass in it! Fred

Schmaus
05-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I just meant to say that if the fish cannot spawn, you will never get new fish and so if you are catching them they will not be a renewable resource. That is the reason that so many of the lakes around PG have to be stocked every year with 10,000 or more fish. No creek no new fish, thats all I was after.

huntwriter
05-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Fishtrap Ck is also alleged to have Bass in it! Fred

That's correct Fred. I am told that the current B.C. trophy LM Bass was taken from the Fishtrap Creek. Tells you something right there when you hear some folks say bass will destory trout and other fish.

Mill Lake holds LM bass, rainbows, browns, cutthroat, bluegills and some others, all in harmony. Last week I took a 3lb rainbow out of that lake.:grin:

ruger#1
05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
writer , mill lake is stocked every year and you forgot to add gold fish and catfish. and a lake with dead creek can be a spawning chanel with a little gravel and a pump.i remember when mill lake only had trout in it, and my theroy on how bass get from lake to lake is, diveing ducks get fertile eggs stuck to their feathers, as long as the egg stays wet it is still going to hatch, birds have spread lots of seeds around why not eggs.

huntwriter
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
writer , mill lake is stocked every year and you forgot to add gold fish and catfish. and a lake with dead creek can be a spawning chanel with a little gravel and a pump.i remember when mill lake only had trout in it, and my theroy on how bass get from lake to lake is, diveing ducks get fertile eggs stuck to their feathers, as long as the egg stays wet it is still going to hatch, birds have spread lots of seeds around why not eggs.
The other day when I caught my trout in Mill Lake a lady actually caught a gold fish, we all had to laugh with her. At one time I also caught a catfish in that lake, a small one.

What you said about fish eggs been transported sticking to duck feathers might have a lot of truth in it. I remember as a boy my father shot a duck that had little "juky pellets" sticking to its feathers. My father told me then that these juky pellets are in fact fish eggs and that is how fish come into lakes where they have not been seen before. It happens with frog eggs too.

I guess they could be called free loaders.:-D

twoSevenO
05-26-2006, 07:14 AM
i can see you catching a catfish there, but not a gold fish. Are you sure that lady didn't catch a small carp?

Carp are similar in appearance to a goldfish, but they're slightly more brown.

How big was the gold fish?

bighornbob
05-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Timber

As long as the creek coming out of the Lake does not enter another body of water then you should be fine. I would still check with DFO and get the approaite permit. Yes you will need a permit.

Another thing people may not know is even if you completely make a man made lake where nothing existed before and a creek comes out of it and enters another body water that may contain fish then it is considered fish habitat and DFo comes involved very quickly.

Saw this in Kelowna where a farmer wanted to pipe a irrigation ditch. He had a water licence stating that he had water rights for the last 30 years and it was man made but since it made its way into Okanangan Lake it is classified as a fish bearing creek now even if it was a irrigation ditch.

BHB

huntwriter
05-26-2006, 05:08 PM
i can see you catching a catfish there, but not a gold fish. Are you sure that lady didn't catch a small carp?

It was redish and about as long as a mans hand. I also have seen some bigger ones in the shallows near the bridge and people where feeding them bread crumbs. I use to have gold fish and I am pretty sure she caught one.

ruger#1
05-26-2006, 06:27 PM
there is a gold fish in mill lake that we call flipper. all you see is him slapping the water with its tail.he is a big fish.

DBM
05-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Hopefully I can be of some help since I used to be the site manager for Spring Valley Trout Farms in Langley.

Here's what you have to do. Contact the ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries. They will make a site visit to ensure the fish cannot escape into a native body of water, typically all that is involved would be to screen your effluent. You may also have to purchase your fish from a certified disease free hatchery in order to get your permit to transport. I'm unsure on this since I haven't been in the trout hatchery business in almost a decade, but I'm sure the ministry is the first place you should start.

timber
05-30-2006, 07:56 AM
thanks LOC sunvalley is a the winner:grin:

LOC
05-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Bernie is a good guy, we also use him for getting our fish here at work.

glad to help!

johnes50
05-30-2006, 12:08 PM

It probably was a gold fish. Gold fish will naturally grow to the size of their container. If you have a small bowl they will stay small, if they are in a large body of water they will grow big. I used to catch them as a kid that were 2-3lbs. John

http://www.enaturalist.org/print.php?unit_id=18

bigwhiteys
05-30-2006, 12:16 PM
It probably was a gold fish. Gold fish will naturally grow to the size of their container. If you have a small bowl they will stay small, if they are in a large body of water they will grow big. I used to catch them as a kid that were 2-3lbs. John

lol... I wouldn't doubt it either.. I know there is some strange fish in some of lakes on the island. IE: Elk and Beaver lol... I've seen carp, goldfish and suckers in there. Not to mention bullfrogs larger then dinner plates!

I don't think it's uncommon for people to let their pets go in these places. Not a wise idea.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

johnes50
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
I fish Elk/Beaver lakes occaisionally and they certainly have a real smorgasbord of fish there. Bullfrogs are a real problem cause they eat anything that fits in their mouths. Frog legs are pretty tasty though if you catch a few.:grin: John