PDA

View Full Version : Float a boat

Archive
05-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Who uses a boat for duck and geese? What kind do you use?

I have a river canoe that doesn't work so well (no keel) in the wind. I've looked at jon boats, prams, sneakbox boats and other homebuilt designs.
I made a box out of a single sheet of 3/8" ply that holds water out long enough to retrieve from a slough. Works well enough to keep the boots dry but thats about it.

Its summer and that means time to build stuff. Ian, do you have any pics of your homebuilt?

Jager
05-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Hey Archive take a look at these boat sites...

-simplicityboats
-svensons.com
-muskokaseaflea.ca

I really want to build the minimax hydro plane this summer (see the muskoka site). I keep thinking it would make a decent waterfowl punt (for 1 guy) as well as the fun you can have using it as a hydrplane. It should be nice and stable and only draw a couple of inches of water. It would definately turn some heads in the marshes.

Ian F.
05-23-2006, 02:22 AM
I've thinned my fleet down to my sneakbox (Devlin designs Mallard) and my Scott canoe (prospector) for the trip west. There are some pics fo my boat on my webpage www.partridgecreek.ca.

Tell me more about what YOU THINK you want from a boat and i can help you more. Devlin boats are probably to the most popular and the easiest to build. I would suggest either a broadbill lengthend to 12 feet with full bulkheads or stringers, or a bluebill without the motor well. http://www.svensons.com/boat/ has a bunch of "popular mechanics" style plans but none of them are modernized to take advantage fo the design and materials we have today, however, some are really quick and easy to build.

The other route is modify an existing hull which is probably the most commonly done thing. You could search for a used boat and let your imagination take you from there!

You see boats can do 2 things, transport you, and provide a place to hunt from. Some do both, some do only one. A sneakbox is basically a one person boat as far as hunting from it, but will transport a couple of guys. Used solo it's hard to beat for hunting out of..

Very best,

Ian

Ian F.
05-23-2006, 02:25 AM
Ooops..

http://devlinboat.com/dcduckboats.htm

This is the link to devlins site...

there are lots of books out there too, most of which I have or have read, so once I know the direction you are heading we can really help you then...

My plans once we get settled in BC is to build my own custom Hybrid version of a sneakbox, modern planning hull on the bottom, with a stripped deck on top like the originals. To my mind that will give me the huntability of the original sneakbox, but get all the preformance of modern hulls and motors.

Of course I'll help you however I can and once we get located you are more them welcome to come check mine out and see for yourself..

Very best,

Ian

Fred
05-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Ian, one thing you might want to keep in mind when building a new boat is the sheer size of this province and the large expanses of water. My dad built a dandy little duck boat for us back in Winnipeg but it would have been unsuitable(or at least restrictive) for much of the waterfowling here. Fred

Ian F.
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Fred,

Totally understood, and I truly believe there is no one duck boat, I figure 3 would be ideal for me..Canoe, sneakbox, and big water boat. I was always restricted to protected waters here and missed out on some great gunning simply cause it wasn't safe to go where the birds are!

My personal hope is to build a 18' Tolman skiff for big water duckin and fishing...but I know until we get settled and all figured out, it's still in the dreaming stage..

IAn

Archive
05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Hmm, I typed a bunch of stuff and its gone now?

Anyways, I think a 8' pram or 10-11' flatback canoe with a wide beam would be most ideal for around here.
I've been using a 17.5' canoe to drift the fraser down in ladner and use the tides to paddle back. When the wind comes up its barely manageable with 2 and not possible with 1 so I bought an electric Minn Kota for it. It helps but not enough because the canoe has no keel.

johnes50
05-24-2006, 10:14 AM
You might want to try an outrigger. They make the canoe very stable in bad weather with a lot less chance of tipping over. You can make them yourself with PCB pipe and a couple of 2x2's. John

Archive
05-25-2006, 01:49 AM
I like this design, maybe a bit wider in the aft would be better.
http://www.blacksand.org/%7Etodd/mississquoi-1.JPG
This is from a 1991 Mad River brochure from when i bought the 17.5' Sundance.

I don't find the canoe tippy or unstable, I find it unmanageable with outgoing tide + river current + strong wind. A deep V hull design would probably work better at dodging tugs and barges.

Iron-Head
05-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the site link I am going to be buying one of there 8' hydroplane kit's:grin: ..... 40MPH with a 15hp... YEEHA!

Dayto
05-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm no Duck hunter (Just getting into it) But I have a Nice small Zodiac style raft(Full camo) with a 40Pnd Thrust electric and to me it is the Ultimate boat , Its very light 1 Man can carry the whole set up easy ,very comfy,and can Be Rowed(sp) very easy it was a Cheap one 2 I think it was $349 , electric was around $200 , Battey was $100 So for Under $750 you have you'r self a Pretty slick little set up It is also a River Desighn raft aswell so can used In either Direction , I have a Custom chair set up and it is very easy to shoot from , the boat can carry over #700pnds , and can Comfortly fit 2 Full size men , (IM 6'1 270pds)