PDA

View Full Version : arrowed spring bears?

ratherbefishin
05-21-2006, 03:31 PM
anybody take a bear withy either bow or crossbow this spring?I admit-I'm partial to the Excaliber crossbows-hope to pick one up this year.The odds are considerably better for LEH archery hunts

bochunk2000
05-22-2006, 07:13 AM
OH god no more Cross bow debates please. lol. I have yet to get one but I keep trying with the bow. Its hard when you go out and could have shot a few with a rifle but no chances yet with the bow. Soon... very soon...I hope. Steve.

JohnS
05-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Well Guys,

I got my first Kill with my Bow yesterday, took a 5 1/2 foot Blacky 200lbs and not a bad size head, its not the biggest I have seen this year but it was a shooter for the first one with a bow, I use a Mathews SwitchBack 70# 28" DL and a 425 gr arrow with a Slick Trick Braod head. I was wearing my ASAT camo suite and the bear never even seen or heard me while I was stalking it hehehee! so when I was within 20 to 30 yards of him I drew my bow and waited for the right placement of the arrow so I would get the Kill shot, sure enough it only took the bear a couple minutes to move wear I could get the shot I wanted, I Let the arrow go ...yayy! good shot, I knew I hit the right the spot... so I waited for about 30 minutes while I came down from the rush, being my first kill and all with my bow hahaha! sure enough about 60 yrds away down hill I found him piled up agaist a tree. No movement at all So I poked it the bow and sure enough it was gone ears were down and tounge hanging out. yayyy!!!! its dead and By this time my heart was flying again.....so I sat down and caught my breath about it all, so I pull out my camera to take some pictures, grrrr!! my kids took my good batteries and stuck thier old ones in my camera, so I said darn no pictures out here i guess, so when I got home I took a few ..so those are the only ones I got..but the memorey will remain forever.... well guys I must say Bow Hunting is way more of a rush and exciting than riffle hunting.... its the unknowin thats the best part;) ....LOL!

John

willyqbc
05-22-2006, 08:46 AM
congrats John.....and welcome to the fraternity!

Chris

bochunk2000
05-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Good for you! That's awesome. I can't wait until I get a bear with a bow. Steve.

JohnS
05-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Here is a Picture of the bear....

Thunderstix
05-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Well Guys,

I got my first Kill with my Bow yesterday, took a 5 1/2 foot Blacky 200lbs and not a bad size head, its not the biggest I have seen this year but it was a shooter for the first one with a bow, I use a 70# 28" DL and a 425 gr arrow with a Slick Trick Braod head. I was wearing my ASAT camo suite and the bear never even seen or heard me while I was stalking it hehehee! so when I was within 20 to 30 yards of him I drew my bow and waited for the right placement of the arrow so I would get the Kill shot, sure enough it only took the bear a couple minutes to move wear I could get the shot I wanted, I Let the arrow go ...yayy! good shot, I knew I hit the right the spot... so I waited for about 30 minutes while I came down from the rush, being my first kill and all with my bow hahaha! sure enough about 60 yrds away down hill I found him piled up agaist a tree. No movement at all So I poked it the bow and sure enough it was gone ears were down and tounge hanging out. yayyy!!!! its dead and By this time my heart was flying again.....so I sat down and caught my breath about it all, so I pull out my camera to take some pictures, grrrr!! my kids took my good batteries and stuck thier old ones in my camera, so I said darn no pictures out here i guess, so when I got home I took a few ..so those are the only ones I got..but the memorey will remain forever.... well guys I must say Bow Hunting is way more of a rush and exciting than riffle hunting.... its the unknowin thats the best part;) ....LOL!

John
Wow! Good for you! I have been trying as well and have come close to letting the string slide from my fingers. Myself and fireonethree are going out again after supper today so maybe I will have a story to tell.

oldtimer
05-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Congrats on your first bear !! I am still trying - got to within 40 yards the other night but no shot then he busted Willy and I. Maybe this week. Again --way to go. Mike

JohnS
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks Guys, good luck on your adventures... Cheers!!!!

Walksalot
05-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Nice bear and with a bow to boot, well done.

Brambles
05-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Great job John, I'm assuming that wasn't either of the bears we saw? Was it the same place?

Congrats, looks like the slick tricks did the job eh

ratherbefishin
05-23-2006, 06:09 AM
I consider taking a bear with a bow[or crossbow] the ultimate challenge-bears can be tough to kill,and as my son once said-''when you are hunting something that could kill you if it wanted,it makes it a bit more interesting!''

Nails
06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I did it last w/e. I came on a sow who was dry. I released my arrow at her, she was at 15 paces, the arrow went high in the chest (my fault). On the blood trail for approx 70 min. Sorry no pics available no camera. Great rush being on the ground up close with those tiny eyes looking at you. I cant wait for the pep to be ready.

Bow Walker
06-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Congratulations to everyone who has "done the deed" with their bows!!

I am hoping to join the fraternity soon - and then I will change my handle to something more appropriate.

Triggerman
06-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Way to go!! Nice animal!

Nothing like harvesting an animal with a Bow!. Patience, silence and wind are everything.

kelowna_hunter
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
i got my 2 bears with my hoyt!... and my cousin got one the same weekend with his browning.....

pupper
06-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I nailed one blacky with my bow this spring as well as my hunting partner got his first blacky with a bow.

the pic is on my avtar