PDA

View Full Version : Percy Bicknell decoys?

Roy Weatherby
10-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey all,Does anyone know some history on Percy Bicknell decoys?Did he carve any species other then mallards and paintails? I found this decoy for sale,and im wondering if it might be a Percy Bicknell.

Thanks

Crazy_Farmer
10-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Body and tail sure looks like one of his. And yes he did carve other species besides mallards and pintails.

branthunter
10-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Looks like a Bicknell but there was at least one other carver who used a similar style so you need someone who knows his decoys to say for sure---or maybe you could do it by making a side-by-side comparison with a known Bicknell.

hardyguy
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey Roy, A bit of information re: Harold Percy Bicknell

He started out at 14 years of age with his younger brother in the marshes around Richmond (back then called Lulu Island) market hunting.

They did this for approx 5 to 6 years before it was banned totally. He then started carving decoys to sell and made approx (no one really knows exact amount) 2000 to 3000 decoys.

These were sold for $10 to $15 per dozen. To my knowledge he made 5 different species of birds. The bodies were of red cedar construction with spruce heads, hollowed out with a bottom board.

His trade mark on all of his decoys was a step cut or "V" shaped on the tail. A closer image of your bird would be more beneficail in determing carver.

I collect decoys and I am always exicited to put something new into my collection.

If anyone has anything that they might want to sell, please let me know ?

Here is a pic of one of my Hen Bicknells

hardyguy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/hardyguy/Randy%20with%20Steelhead/BicknellHenMallard.jpg

hardyguy
01-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Forgot to mention species of birds that he carved

Widgeon

Pintails

Mallards

Brant

Snow Geese

Roy Weatherby
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info. The bird I posted was one I seen for sale on craigslist Vancouver. It was sold pretty quick.

hardyguy
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Interesting, How much was it ?

hardyguy

Roy Weatherby
01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
they wanted a $100.00 from what I can remember....seemed like a realy reasonable price if it was a true Bicknell

branthunter
01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
If it was ,,,,it was a steal.

hardyguy
01-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Most certainly was a good buy, even though it wasn't in original paint.

It seems the prices on these birds are all over the board ?

Whats is the going rate for a decent pintail, Just curious, Anyone

hardyguy

Roy Weatherby
01-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Not sure...Its hard to find any for sale

hardyguy
01-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Roy, I know where there is a whole rig, haven't asked the owner if he will sell them, but I would first like to find out what they are worth so its fair for both of us ? are you a collector of these decoys ? p/m me your phone number so we can talk ?

hardyguy

Freshtracks
01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Know's someone that had(s) Bicknell snow dekes ... even hunted over them.

branthunter
01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Roy, I know where there is a whole rig, haven't asked the owner if he will sell them, but I would first like to find out what they are worth so its fair for both of us ? are you a collector of these decoys ? p/m me your phone number so we can talk ?

hardyguy

Good condition Bicknell's are worth anywhere from $400 to $1200+ each.

Roy Weatherby
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM

hardyguy

Sorry Hardguy, I havnt started collecting anything yet....I just carve a few decoys of my own.

decoycollector
03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Hardyguy,

Do you still have a lead on the Bicknell Decoys, I would be interested in pursuing these with you.

Foxton Gundogs
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
OK I'll jump on this one with another question Does anyone know anything about a carver named Jack Palmer from around Edmonton? I have a set of 8 Mallards c/w belly weights and glass eyes they were carved as a gift for my grandfather around 1925. Shot over them as a kid my job to pack them in and out of the blind in a gunny sack they were light on the way in but damned heavy at the end of a dayLOL

decoycollector
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Do you have a photo of the Jack Palmer decoys?

Foxton Gundogs
03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
never thought about taking any but they are spread all around the house so I will do that pretty easy lol

fowl language
03-29-2011, 08:05 AM
mr. bicknell carved decoys in richmond in his later years for sale and collecting. he used to hunt the marshes of the north arm,he also hunted with my grand father and my great uncle in delta , with his brother who i believe his name was bill.i was very young and used to go along as retriever with cindy, my uncles chessy.all were fine shots and my uncle dom ended up with all the differents species of decoys from bicknell which is now owned by blair ledingham.i managed to get a few from my grand father,s collection but i don,t have a brant.one of their son carved birds on the island and i,d have to look for his name the other son was a commercial fisherman on the fraser till the late 90,s.just a little back ground....fowl

decoycollector
03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
There are a lot of guys in the NW that have Bicknell Decoys, all sorts. I certainly would be interested in adding to my collection, but for a general reference a good place to ask questions about decoys or to see and/or sell them would be at the 37th NW Decoy Show in Mt. Vernon on May 14th.

Foxton Gundogs
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
never thought about taking any but they are spread all around the house so I will do that pretty easy lol

However APPARENTLT taking the pictures was MUCH easier than actually posting them..."TECHNOIDIOCY" Strikes Again!!

decoycollector
03-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Photos - No problem. You should be able to add photos using manage attachments, or if you can figure out how to e-mail me than i'd be happy to take a look that way too.

Dano
04-12-2011, 12:13 AM
This one's on ebay, says it's in Richmond.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180651179001&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Dan