PDA

View Full Version : Wrist slings??

Hunter4life
05-18-2006, 04:55 PM
I have been shooting and hunting with my bow for a couple years now and want to know how many of you use wrist slings? I have one on my setup but find that hunting with it is a pain. Do some of you just use it for target bows or do you use them all the time? How do you shoot without one?

hunter4life

Bow Walker
05-18-2006, 05:21 PM
I have used one from the time that I first learnt to shoot - about 7 years ago now. I hunt with it on, shoot 3D with it on and sleep with it on:icon_frow

Recently, my leather one wore out and I decided that I really didn't need one on after all. This past winter while practising at the range here in Vict. I was "surprised" by a shot going off unexpectedly. The bow jumped right out of my hand and fell into the muck and the water that I was standing in:eek: . The field was really wet and muddy from all the rain.

Yup, mud, crap, and ka-ka in the grooves of the cam and all over my sight, strings and cables, and on my cable guard. What a mess!:evil:

Now I don't leave home without one....:lol:

Nails
05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Hunter4, I don't use a sling for the very reason you said it is pain while hunting. My grip (use compond bow)has not been effected when I removed it some 10 years ago. I don't really concern myself with 3D scores when you want min grip contact for the high scores. I'm happy with a solid 8 for 3D which translants into a doulble lung shot in the bowhunting world.

Fred
05-18-2006, 11:19 PM
I have and use one all the time too. If you knew what a clumsy clod I can be at times you would understand! :shock: One can always make a boo-boo at the best or worst of times and the wrist sling isn't bad insurance, is it BW? ;) Fred

huntwriter
05-19-2006, 05:03 AM
I use a wrist sling since the day I learned to shoot a bow. I probably would not need one now but it gives me confidence. I can not see why it's a "pain" to use one because mien is shaped like a loop (leather) and the hand slips in and out easily without having to think about it.

Brambles
05-19-2006, 07:14 AM
Yup, I use one too

sealevel
05-19-2006, 07:44 AM
I use one all the time i would not want to drop my bow.

kelowna_hunter
05-19-2006, 09:09 AM
i cant shoot without one anymore.....i feel liek im missing something when i use someone elses bow

The 'Hummer'
05-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes, all the time, on my both of my compounds. One I have set up for hunting & 3D, the other set just for target shooting. Tried doing without but every once in a while I torque the bow with my grip and accuracy suffers. My shots & accuracy are more consistant using one.:idea: :smile:

Bow Walker
05-19-2006, 09:20 AM
:shock: One can always make a boo-boo at the best or worst of times and the wrist sling isn't bad insurance, is it BW? ;) Fred

All you need to do is to drop or loose your grip once. Then you can appreciate the benefits of a sling. :cool:

bsa30-06
05-19-2006, 02:56 PM
yup, use mine all the time.

Hunter4life
05-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I use a wrist sling since the day I learned to shoot a bow. I probably would not need one now but it gives me confidence. I can not see why it's a "pain" to use one because mien is shaped like a loop (leather) and the hand slips in and out easily without having to think about it.

I find it annoying in the late season hunts when you need to wear gloves as it is more of challange to slip in and out. i also find it kind of restricting when hiking around with the bow always in one hand but i also dont want to be caught with the bow in the wrong hand. anyone agree with that??

huntwriter
05-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Hunter4life - My wrist sling is adjustable, so in the winter when I have to wear bulky golves I adjust the sling accordingly. If I am hiking for a long way then I use the bow sling, which lets me carry the bow like a rifle over the shoulder.
Once in the area I want to spot and stalk I use a nifty little device that is called bow rest. This device hangs from the belt and has a little cup at the bottom where you rest the bow limp tip (weel) in it. This takes a lot of the weight of the bow and still lets you be ready for the shot within a second.
Even if I do have to change hands for some reason I never had a problem to slip quickly in or out of the wrist sling.
It works great for me. But that's me, I am not saying it's the same for you or others. ;)

The 'Hummer'
05-20-2006, 07:36 AM
For the late season thing using gloves, lengthen it out a little so it is quick & easy to use. Try it a few times to make sure. As huntwriter mentioned, I also use a cup attachment on my belt, usually for the still hunting end of things. For more long distance packing, the sling comes in very handy.:smile:

pupper
06-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I use a sling, It helps me relax my grip w/o worrying about my bow falling out of my hands, not that it ever had before i used one.