PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing

BCKID
05-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Went fly fishing with a few friends last weekend for the first time. Kinda fun. What would you recommend for gear for a first timer? Any one got any gear they want to pass on to a beginner? Thanks BCKID

PGKris
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Temple Fork Outfitters makes a good quality beginner rod that has a great warranty. They're not top-of-the-line but definitely good enough to get you addicted to flyfishing.
My first combo was the 49.99 one from Can Tire and its probably caught more fish than my St. Croix. Go with a 5 weight and make sure your line matches with your rod weight. There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to cast far enough because your line flops over at 30 feet. Sedge is also a good brand of rod for a newbie.
Almost any reel will do. Try and find something with good drag. Dragonfly makes a good reel for about $100 but if you want to go cheaper you have a million options.
Looking at my fly-tying table I dont see anything I could give/sell you other than my old Dragonfly reel. Which I dont think you want because I've pretty much pounded out the rivets in the reel seat.
Hope that helps
Kris

BCKID
05-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the tips

Tarp Man
05-15-2006, 07:34 PM
I still fish with my Abu Garcia 5/6 weight graphite rod I bought 14 years ago, with a combo reel. It is feeling its age, but has given very many years of service. A combo rod and reel from almost any fishing store is a great way to start out for beginners. Affordable too. A 5/6 weight is a good range for a do almost everything rod. Lake trout almost anywhere with give you a good fight. If you want to go for salmon or steelhead a heavier rod is advisable.
-Tarp Man