PDA

View Full Version : Best Dog

FlyingHigh
05-14-2006, 09:24 AM
What breed do you guys figure is the best for hunting, training and companionship? I was looking at getting a golden retreiver, apparently they're real smart. I've heard Labs, Huskys and Collies are good too. Any professional opinions? :biggrin:

bsa30-06
05-14-2006, 09:29 AM
FlyingHigh, i have a golden retriever she is just a family pet but is very smart and very protective of the family you couldn't ask for a better companion.She was never trained to be a hunting dog but i see no reason why she couldnt do the job with the proper training.She also seems to hate crows and the mailman she doesn't like people or animals coming into her yard,last year she chased off a skunk 2 nights in a row and got sprayed twice for her effort, man did she stink.

Shop Lord
05-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I've got a pure bred black lab, I thought about a retriever but their long fur really makes a mess. He loves to hunt, is really protective of me, my girlfriend and property. I picked a lab because they are calm at home but love to exercise and are one of the easiest dogs to train. They will do anything for a treat. My dogs grandpuppies are due may 24. Pm me if you're interested.

jackson13
05-14-2006, 11:32 AM
I have both a black lab and a golden retriever. Hands down, the best all around dog (hunting, family, etc) is the lab. His instincts for hunting birds is awesome and he is really mellow at home with the baby.
The golden retriever is super protective of our place and her space. I have hunted with her a little bit, but I did not have her as a pup, so trying to train her now for hunting is not so easy. If given the choice, I would go with a lab of any colour.

ruger#1
05-14-2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/dogs_002.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1830&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=699)These are my two dogs, very good dogs, the liver chases bears. they also love the water.These dogs are the best for what i use them for. opinions may very.

Islandeer
05-14-2006, 12:59 PM
My 2cents, Labrador all the way. Get a good one from good hunting and field lines. Make sure they have all their clearances and put in lots of training time. Join a club or hook up with some experianced retriever people for training

Ozone
05-14-2006, 01:02 PM
I've got a black lab with 1/8 golden retriever. The mellowist dog you will ever meet (just dont step onto my boat at nite or her ugly side comes out). Have never trained her for hunting but she has helped find a bear but also slept beside me while deer hunting and snored enouff to get a does intrest so it came 4 ft away from us.

BCLongshot
05-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Samoyed. Pack dog.Loves to cahse bears and cougars. I just bought my 2nd 1

Gunner
05-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't trade either of my chocolate Labs for all the tea in China.You couldn't buy a friendship like we have!Cheers,Gunner:D

brotherjack
05-14-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm a German Shepherd fan myself. Here's a pic of my yougin' and my old man after a hard day's play.

http://xjack.org/hunting/dogs.jpg

BlacktailStalker
05-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Maybe outta place for your thread but my doberman Kysa is unreal. I walk her in a few different places, all undeveloped land approx 100 acre parcels and to date this year she has flushed about 20 grouse, prob 6 pheasants, numerous rabbits, found the same wild cat 3 times and treed 2 bears. 3 years ago on the Dean she treed a black bear that was no doubt in my mind over 500lbs and had a stand off with a young grizzly when I was running her on a quad. I took her pheasant hunting 2 years ago and she put up twice as many birds as my buddys lab, although she tends to move a bit fast so its hard keeping up with her. Actually 2 weeks ago on the Gold river I was walking along the golf course from a hole I fished and at full trot she switched directions, went 30 yards back and in about 20 and IMMEDIATELY put up 2 grouse.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2610&cat=500

black 'n blue
05-14-2006, 11:28 PM
I like redbones, they are the best hunting dogs I have ever seen, they will git r done!:lol:

Barracuda
05-15-2006, 12:36 AM
I like what ever i am happy with right now:biggrin:
this question is like asking what the best caliber is:biggrin:

oldtimer
05-15-2006, 05:47 AM
Over the years I have had 5 black labs. For my money they are the best all round dog there is. Unbelievable family dogs,great with kids. They win most of the retriever class competitions , they are just a great dog. Mike. PS. I would get a female if I was you.

houndogger
05-15-2006, 06:01 AM
REDBONES! Sander you have been watching to much where the red fern grows reruns buddy.:cry: :lol:

Any old floppy eared hound works for me!:wink:

black 'n blue
05-15-2006, 08:52 PM
I know I know, I was only kidding :lol:
With a name like FlyingHigh I guess he is hunting ducks.
Most of the experienced duck guys I've seen like black labs.

CHilko21
05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Pretty much every dog we've ever had has been a black lab...we had one chocolate but she was kind of crazy...I say kind of as in totally. Also had Carlean ( probably spelled that wrong) bear dogs, they're very protective, and brave as hell too. Labs are great family dogs, as well as hunting dogs. Our lab will retrieve most anything, she comes with me when I take my horse out, loves to swim, and she's very attached to "her" kids. We've had her for 7 or 8 years now, she's definately part of the family.

Elkhound
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Well I love my Norwegian Elkhound. Great for bears, awesome pet for the kids. But he sure is no retrieving breed.

MB_Boy
05-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Flyin'........I think it really does come down to the type of hunting you want the dog for. Waterfowling you can't go wrong with a good lab......BUT........our family has always had female Cheasepeake Bay Retrievers and they are outstanding hunting dogs (retrievers/water dogs) and the females are great companions with a great disposition.

Personally I can't say enough good things about them..........EXCEPT....buy a female.......a number of people I have spoken with over the years joke around and say if you buy a male.....get a 2x4 to go with it.

Sitkaspruce
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
I also have a female chessie. The best damn hunting dog I have ever had or seen in action. She has an insatiable drive for both upland and waterfowl, is a great bear dog, loves to hunt moose, goats and sheep and is a great family dog, loves to be around our little 3 year old daughter. Can be a little hard headed at times, just like her owner, but she is faithful, does not talk back and is a great listener when I am mumbling to myself. She is now 8 so I will be looking for another in the not to distant future. My wife wants to get a little yap dog so the kids can grow up with it, but we will have to see.

Cheers

LOC
05-16-2006, 12:20 PM
3rd vote for the CBR! great dogs, lots of personality and love the water!

FlyingHigh
05-16-2006, 07:46 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!! WOW! :eek: never thought i'd generate this much discussion. some really good points. thanks alot guys. :-D i don't have a dog right now. my mom and brother are allergic to them so my dad won't let me get one. but as soon as i get out of the house, it'll be my present to myself!! hopefully around 2-3 years. i wanted to get info so i can start researching the breeds, handling, food costs etc. i think i've narrowed down to either a golden retriever or a lab. thanks for all your help.

bcboy
05-25-2006, 08:44 AM
My son 10 wants a dog..problem is I am allergic to some breeds.

Anyone here know anything about Portugese Water dogs??

Danny
08-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Does any one here have a NS Duck toller.

CNE
08-03-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a lab shepard cross. she a great hunting dog. she has the smarts of a lab and a better attention span because of the shepard. She is great with upland birds but turns her nose up at ducks, you should see the look she gives me when i shoot one.

Lusitano
08-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I have had a few dogs and, to me, there is nothing better then a GSP, as a hunting dog and as a companion. There is not a better dog :)

lusitano

Lusitano
08-05-2006, 09:25 PM
My son 10 wants a dog..problem is I am allergic to some breeds.

Anyone here know anything about Portugese Water dogs??

I don't know to much about Portuguese Water dogs but I do know about Portuguese Pointer. Would that make it?

lusitano

harbinger
08-06-2006, 03:26 PM
put the Brittany Spaniel on your list of breeds to research! Certainly worth looking into, ours is great!

stickbow
08-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Got to agree with harbinger,my 16 week old brittany is turning into a fine little dog.

Islandeer
08-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Hey there,
For grouse, I would go with a well trained GSP, or Britany. for the water, nothing beats a good lab. They were bred to get what you shoot out of the water. Get good field lines, spend the time training and you will have a great hunting/family dog. I have a winner, and will be breeding her this Dec. She is from dartmouth, and is out of Kerrybrook kennels. They have a great website. Her parant kennel is Doindogs from Dartmouth, who also have a great website. Whatever you do, research the lines, talk with people who have dogs from the line, and spend the time training. Good luck.

chinooker
08-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I have a male basset hound, best kids dog you could ask for, loves riding in the truck, and is a walking nose. have to keep him fenced in tho cause he likes to follow that nose.

Steelheadfreak
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
We just got word that our Catahoula has been born :) . He will be ready in early Nov for us. Great dogs but can be a bit of a handfull. Very energetic, loyal and super protective. Excellent single working dog for the farm. Little on the howly side being a hound but Im sure we will get used to it. I dont think the coyotes will though. :lol: :lol:

ellellbee
10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
We got a black lab (mostly lab but with a touch of Pit Bull we think) from the SPCA. He's was a year old or so when we got him this spring and had no training of any kind. Had to teach him to fetch, as he just sat there looking at you when you threw anything. To make a long story short we thought we'd see if we could train him to go fetch our grouse, first time hunting and he did it perfectly. Ran and got it, didn't shake it, had a soft mouth and dropped it at our feet. Even a grouse still flapping wings doesn't put him off. Really didn't expect it to happen so easily. Is this normal for a lab to just know what to do.

BowsUp
10-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Yup. Sometimes they just know what to do. Other times ......

My yellow lab has locked up in a picture perfect point more than once on pheasants. Yes, I did have a witness.

Mistake I made was starting him on upland birds and then going on to waterfowl from a blind. He never got the waiting part, if I have a shotgun than we should both be moving in his mind.

Be aware that with a field trial dog and all the right bloodlines there is still no guarantee the dog will love to hunt.

I chucked a frozen duck into the puppy kennel and took the dog that grabbed the bird. This got us a hyper hunting nut. Your mileage may vary.

islandarcher
10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I want a beagle. Nice size, short hair, and an unbeatable nose. should make a fine blood tracker.

RBH
10-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Probably Labs are your best bet. Whatever you get, but with labs and goldens in particular, ONLY buy from a reputable breeder. Labs and goldens have a lot of hip displaysia (>50% of goldens, reportedly), which doesn't show up until later in the dog's life. you should insist that the dog and bitch both have had their hips xrayed and certified before buying a retriever. Good breeders will address this. I have a flat coated retriever, awesome dog but not as trainable early on as a lab (read: energetic!), and had to do the whole hip thing before I could breed him, but I respect that process as it avoids problems in the breed. Good dogs from good breeders cost more, but in fact most of that goes to breeder's costs - I think it is a labour of love for most.

brotherjack
10-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Good dogs from good breeders cost more

Reminds me of an old addage - "A good dog is not expensive, he/she is priceless."

Rod
10-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I have had several English Springers and at the risk of getting slammed by some of the other members here mine have always outhunted the various labs owned by my hunting buddies.

Awsome in the water but they can't handle the cold stuff like a lab (my remidy was a simple neoprene vest she wears in the blind), will dive 8' deep to make a retrieve, instinctively stay close for upland game and are small enough to get into thick stuff that will stop a larger dog cold.

Great family companion that doesn't eat you out of house and home or hog the whole bed.

On the downside they are a single coat breed that shed constantly and proper grooming includes a full clip in the spring.

my $0.02
Rod

The 'Hummer'
10-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I've had GSP's and they are great family dogs. For me, they were super, especially on upland bird's. Superb nose, soft mouth and what I really liked is they tended to work closer than an English Pointer. :smile: They're a great water dog as well but I found their coat doesn't offer them enough protection against the cold water of late season Duck & Goose hunting. What I have now is a Yellow Lab and she's a great dog. What I was after with her is something a little slower and easier for me to keep pace with.:lol: She has the coat for some cold water hunting and is probably the best family dog I have ever had. For the most part, she's 90% pet, 10% hunting dog.;-) The only down side, she seems to shed quite a bit, steadily.

NEEHAMA
10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
MY OPINION,

GSP- great dog until -10 (no dec/jan duck hunting).
GOLDENS-pretty dog - work to keep clean (long hair covered in mud)
ns duck toller-see above (small golden)
lab's- best all around dog. couch potatoe at home, bird crazy in field.
chesapeak- you better like bird hunting! and buy a zap collar. i had one, dog would dive under water for up to 5 seconds looking for crippled ducks.
brits/spaniels- a little small for geese.

i don't like any dog's that are protective etc. they may bite some kid in the face . only well socialized dog's for me thanks.

islandarcher
10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
anyone have experience with Weimarraners (SP)?

NEEHAMA
10-20-2006, 12:13 PM
nice dog, but again very thin coats. long day in the cold and it's hard on em.

Pre '64
03-18-2007, 05:38 PM
What breed do you guys figure is the best for hunting, training and companionship? I was looking at getting a golden retreiver, apparently they're real smart. I've heard Labs, Huskys and Collies are good too. Any professional opinions? :biggrin:

I have a golden retriever and yes they are smart and love attention. But, there are two types, the show type and the hunting type and you want the hunting type which are ssmaller and more agile and have a good nose and are dark red, but they are getting hard to find.

I couldn't find a male from hunting stock to breed my female so I am getting a pup from one of the best breeders of hunting stock in the US. But it is only a pup so it will be a year before I have some pups to sell.

The first grouse I showed to my female when she was 6 months old she ate the whole thing, head, guts, all of it. She has tremendous hunting desire, so don't let anybody tell you Goldens are not good for hunting, you just have to get one from the right stock. If you want some pics email me.

Gunner
03-18-2007, 06:27 PM
The best dog is asleep on the couch right now,tuckered out from a long hike with my wife.He's a 9 year old Chocolate Lab,and he has managed to retrieve everything with feathers that I've shot over that period,and still found time to be my best friend!His younger buddy is asleep on the other side of the room,another Choclate,3 years younger than my guy,he's kinda a Momma's boy,but he's the faithful defender of the house,and murder on pheasants!Whatever dog you get,I hope you have the relationship we have with our Labs.They've made us laugh and cry,and they've made our lives a lot richer!I've got to go,it's time for their dinner,Cheers-Gunner:)

youngfellla
03-18-2007, 06:43 PM
My first dog was a shepard/wolf cross male. Huge dog, extremely smart & loyal, very protective of me. I had to put him down last fall :cry: , he was 16 years old.

I now have a 10 wk old female pup. Mother is a pure wolf and the father is a wolf/lab cross. She is really smart and looks very promising.8)

thatskindafunny
03-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I have had Golden Retrievers for 29 years. The very best in companionship for sure. Took my bitch out for chuckers last December and with little training she did just fine. Butttt.....now we have the dogs that she was along side of, Springers, when you got a good one you can't beat them. Don't show this to my wife.

wsm
03-18-2007, 09:46 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/P1010256.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4413&cat=500&ppuser=225)my opinion.
i think any dog has the potential to be a good dog.well taken care of and lots of attention. i have a wolf hybrid and she turned this bear around very quickly. shes good with children, friends 3 yr old can eat the dogs food with her. important to know your dog, i cant let to many other dogs eat with her. is at tynehead offleash park to socialize 2-3 times a week in summer every day. point is if i can take a wolf and make it into a wonderful family member you should be able to do that with any dog. ps she will hunt anything, but retrieve not a hope. cant even get her to bring me a ball more than three times.

yellowlab
03-18-2007, 09:54 PM
i've had 9 labs over the years ,two were lemons for hunting but were the best baby sitters you could find. that more than made up for the dog food and vet bills.the rest were great hunting dogs.labs are people dogs. you want a dog? get a lab.:lol:

Soup
03-19-2007, 11:33 PM
You will find no better breed than the GSP for upland birds. They have enough heart to make very good duck dogs...but as already stated, Dec. and Jan is better suited to the Lab. Although mine didn't mind the snow while hunting pheasants...

BigDawgDane
03-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Good reading...thought I'd put my 2 cents in...
I've often thought if I could only have one dog...which one would it be...I'm still not certain...I guess it depends on what you like to do and what your capable of doing.

My first hunting dog was a lab...great flusher, good house dog...lots of shedding. Cold weather, no problems. Very biddable, easy to train and very obedient.

My 2nd dog enlightened me to...Endurance...she was a GSP...LOVE her...she can cover 2-3 fields in the amount of time that it takes my flusher and I to do 1...but...rembember a pointer looks for a little bit bigger of a scent...like the whole covey... but obviously they will point singles when the scent conditions are right. She is a great alarm dog...as far as folks and animals coming up the house or in our camp at night.

Weimreiner, Slow working, very methodical type upland dog...more of a one person type dog...every one I've ever seen has been very protective of their owners. Beautiful dogs too. I like the looks of the really big ones...

Red setters, (Irish), not to many good ones around anymore...because they have been heavily bred for show, but if you find one that points...they are really beautiful, like their cousin...the English setter...pain in the rear for cockleburrs and stickers and so on...lots of hair. But hard working little buggers

MY buddy had a Husky, best flusher he ever had...he also used him with 2 other dogs to some dog sledding in North Dakota with his kids.

My lab and my GSP are both proficient at their primary jobs and they earn their keep around the house...they make good alarm dogs and now I'm using them as pack dogs for an upcoming Alaska hunt. My GSP carries 15 pounds and my Lab carries 23...which is great for me...(I'm starting to slow down now).

Bottome line, you get out of it what you put into it...my choice would still be the lab.
1. Biddability
2. Rugged, bigger boned and strong dogs
3. Endurance is better than ours...but not as good as a pointer...
4. Multiple use dogs...sled dogs, freight dogs, upland, waterfowling, family dog, seen some folks use them for messenger dog competitions...

Sorry for the long post...
Dane

model88
03-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Growing up we had Brittaney Spaniels, they were good dogs. Would I own one for a family dog......depends, first one we had was as perfect alround dog you could find. The second one was a lemon.

Now I have a 9 year old Chocolate Lab and a 6 year old Lab/Border collie. Both excellent dogs, if I had too chose I think I would go for the Lab/Border collie cross though.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one...:) :)