PDA

View Full Version : Running Rabbits?

LeverActionJunkie
05-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering if anybody out the runs rabbits with beagles? I tried it with a friend in Colorado while working down there, WHAT A BLAST! Them pint sized hounds get all fired up and start baying like crazy. I was wondering if anbody knew of people raising beagles from hunting stock etc? thanks for any help.

atri
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Breigayt's Beagles up near Duncan breed some fine beagles. I've had experience with two of their dogs (one belonging to me, and another by a friend of mine), and both were born hunters. I've noticed that their beagles tend to be a longer legged dog (mine stands over 17" at the withers), but boy he was fast in his day. We ended up spoiling the sh*t out of our dog, and with his age (14) he's alot more reluctant to go crashing into the brush to root out the rabbits.

I don't believe they breed specifically for hunters, but that beagle nose is something else. I don't know if you can breed that characteristic out and still call it a beagle. And determined they are - stubborn is also another way to describe it. Not a great dog for off leash walks in the city. And as you probably know, they are roamers. I suppose with the right encouragement, any beagle will get onto rabbits.

You can check out their website: http://www.cow-net.com/breigayt/beagle.htm

I've seen a couple of American Rabbit Hunting websites out there. If you Google it, they will come.

We are considering buying a couple more in the near future, and if we go that route, we'll raise them as hunting beagles. When I spoke to Marlene a few weeks ago, she did have a couple of young pups ready for sale. They're also expecting another litter that will be ready by the end of August.

Good luck.

PS, I agree with you, the sound of beagles chasing a rabbit is exhilerating!

mtnmax
05-16-2006, 03:46 PM
I adopted a pure beagle from Nova Scotia. Bought her and shipped her for a total of $250. I also signed a contract saying she would not be used for hunting,,,but I don't believe anyone is going to fly out here to spy on me. I had her in the bush on Sunday and flushed out a rabbit. Funny as heck watching her with that scent trail. She is a great dog ,spoiled I mean.I can pass on the shelter name to anyone interested. Just pm me and I will give it to you.