PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tents, every thing about them

BlacktailStalker
05-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Always wanted one, always go on big trips each year usually with the same guys and I think it's time to get one. We'll probably all chip in (3 or 4 of us) So;

1. Where did ya get it from and how much?
2. How many guys stay in yours and is it big enough ?
3. What didnt you get that you wish you got when you ordered it ?
4. Tell me anything I might want to know before making a final decision.

Thanks!

bigwhiteys
05-11-2006, 10:14 PM
BlackTail,

My dad has an "eena" tent made by Beckel canvas out of washington state. He paid around $700 USD for the tent and shipping.

My dad used these tents along with heavy canvas wall tents in the mountains of north eastern BC guide outfitting for over 40 years.

It will easily sleep 4 guys & gear easily along with your wood stove.

I think a vestibule or undercover area aside from the living quarters would have been cool. I like how http://www.deluxewalltents.com offers this.

I would be buying a wall tent myself this year but my Dad has already said he would give me his when I came up Sheep hunting this year.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

elkster
05-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Black Tail,
Ours is a 14 x 16 sleeps four with your stove and all you gear with ease. Its always nice to set up another enclosed space for cooking and staying out of the weather. We bring a piece of mill felt for our floor of the tent makes it nice, easy to keep clean etc. things we should have bought, better wood stove ( ours was not air tight and some one had to get up and feed it during the night, if you wanted it warm in the morning), that didn't bother me to much, but a good solid stand for a water jug inside the tent is nice, so when it gets cold your drinking water etc. doesn't freeze on you. Oh Yeah a shortie shotgun for when the bears peek their noses in is nice. by a real good cot if you use one. The cheap ones frames break real easy if you sit on the edge.

sealevel
05-12-2006, 06:12 AM
I stayed in a 14-16 wall tent this last nov--feb 2 of us . Couple things i would do is build a internal 2+4 frame spray it good with tompsons water seal and make a fry. I know one of the sponcers of this site makes wall tents but surpluss herbys in kamloops and willys puddle has 14-16 woods for under 800 bucks.

Walksalot
05-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Five foot walls make a big difference room wize from a four foot wall.

ratherbefishin
05-12-2006, 07:18 AM
I have an old 9x12 canvass tent-but would like to get a bigger one.The woodstove is definately the way to go.I'd llke to be a bit more informed as to what type of fabric and general quality to look for-brand names to either choose-or avoid.I also have a $200 10x20 tarp garage and that have definately proved invaluable for cooking, keeping gear dry, and sitting out of the rain

sealevel
05-12-2006, 07:35 AM
I think most wall tents are made out of 10 oz. duck i think its called some of the more expensive ones are made out of milddew proof canvess. I have a 8+10 woods and a 14+16 pioneer that was up all winter on the top of a mountain above lumby with no ill effects.I have not seen a bad wall tent i think any will last a long time if its put away dry.

Ronforca
05-12-2006, 07:37 AM
When you get a Canvas tent and if there is a chance of Snow make sure that you have a plastic tarp to cover the roof part as the snow slides off plastic much better than Canvas.

BlacktailStalker
05-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Awesome guys !
Good luck on that sheep hunt Bigwhiteys, that's I deal if I ever heard of one, a sheep hunt AND a wall tent!

ratherbefishin
05-12-2006, 08:55 AM
I always tarp my wall tent if there is a chance of rain/snow.I was thinking next year I will attach a ring to the tent guy ropes by a simple knot so I can use shock cords to hold the tarp on and extend it beyond the tent roof,allowing rainwater to drain well away from the tent walls.I always think of this stuff when I'm using it-but put it off untill ''next year''

lip_ripper00
05-12-2006, 09:03 AM
if you put very thin poly down on the floor before the carpet / felt keeps condensation coming up from the ground:wink:

Elkhound
05-12-2006, 10:30 AM
And don't forget. www.DeluxeWalltents.com (http://www.deluxewalltents.com/) is a sponser of HBC

BlacktailStalker
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I looked at the Deluxe Tent website because I like supporting canadian companys and especially being a sponsor of a site I like so much, but have a hard time swallowing those prices. $1199 jsut for the tent and $649 for the frame. I went to Davis tent www.davistent.com (http://www.davistent.com), a popular U.S manufacturer and the tent , 14x16 is $758 and you can get an angles only kit and cut list for $174 and cut your own 1" EMT. Saves a lot on shipping too. A guy still needs his stove, cot, groundsheet and etc etc. Its kind of hard not buying across the border because of our dollars value now. It's literally half the price.

270WIN
05-12-2006, 03:50 PM
My budys and i picked up an old 14-16 with 3 foot wall from an old boy scot guy for 300 bucks and went to kms tool and bought the corners for 1 incg tube and home depot for the metal pipe hole tent and frame under 550.00 had the tent 3 years now and still going had to repair frame and buy new stove after 60 foot tree fell on it on a moose trip few year back. i the market for a new tent soon i hope i want something little smaller 10x10 5 foot walls as are group growing and well i prefer the tent over a camper

Elkhound
05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Blacktailstalker........PM sent

ratherbefishin
05-13-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm just surprised the tent makers don't utilize the garage frames and supply tents made to fit them-I'd certainly be interested in a 10x20 canvass tent that would fit my tarp garage frame.I believe it is 1 3/4 '' steel tubing

4pointhunter
05-13-2006, 08:34 PM
there is a guy here in courtenay building tarp garage framed wall tents 10x18 , 12x20 he cuts the walls down to 5' really nice tents the door on one end zips open on both sides and rolls up so you can snug it up against a camper and walk out your camper door into your tent $1500 i will drive by and get the number if your interested

BlacktailStalker
05-14-2006, 02:31 AM
I live in courtenay, do you have pics ?

4pointhunter
05-14-2006, 08:18 AM
its the one rob was telling you about on lake trail rd. i kinda like the idea of building the tarp wall tent the guys on here are talking about.
it is in the mainland forum under camp choice