PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a food dehydrator?

Rhys
05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey all, I am looking to get a food dehydrator to make some jerky from some of the game meat that I have around here.

I tried to make some in the oven before but i screwed it up. I am thinking of trying again but I think I would do better with a food dehydrator.

Anyone know where to get one of these? Does sears/The bay carry them?

Anyone have good/bad experience with them?

Thanks

Rhys

rocksteady
05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Home Hardware - 2 models available....

Bought 1 or the wife for X-Mas with the Jerky Shooter gun.....I know, hopeless romantic....:roll: :roll:

Think I paid about $70 for the dehydrator plus $25 for the gun with season mix....

Steeleco
05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
I've got 2 of those Ronco one's that used to be on TV late at night. Paid way too much for the first one and $5 for the second. I've dried fruit, done some Jerky and even dried some animal parts, IE tails etc. They have them at Wally world and they work pretty good.

johnes50
05-08-2006, 06:29 PM
If your near a London Drugs store they have them. They go on sale once in a while too. It's the round kind with a fan and a heater that you can buy extra trays for and just stack them up. My hunting buddy uses his all the time and I can testify that the jerky comes out fine. John

Husky7mm
05-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Walmart $39 works great. Spices pre mixed from "butchers and packers supplies". $5 for 725gr does 10 kgs of jerky. Dont have there number but you can 411 it. Taste great if you mix it evenly.

Rhys
05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will check out Walmart tmw since I am going right past one.

Rhys

FullDraw
05-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I bought mine from walmart but I don't think they sell them anymore.
I know otter co-op in Aldergrove has them plus the seasoning and the jerky gun if you want to go that way.

Rhys
05-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I just lost a bid on one on ebay! grrr! now to follow up on the local stores.

Rhys

brotherjack
05-14-2006, 10:49 PM
I just use my wife's convection oven. :)

Elkhound
07-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Well Rhys.....update us. How did it turn out

Rhys
07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh sorry, I got one as a belated wedding girft from my brothers in law/ it was awesome, I have used it lots! I made a batch of deer, elk, beef and they all got gobbled up immediatley everyone loved them inclding me. I find it labor intensive doing all the cutting its tough to find the right frozenness to cut at. I am thinking of trying to use an electric knife when it is almost fully frozen.

Next I am going to dry some fruit for my mother in law, she wants to try some dried bananas so i will see how it goes.

I love this thing, it makes great treats and snacks!

Rhys

rock
07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
London drugs carry dehydrators.

FullDraw
07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Rhys

The electric knife is the cats ass for cutting jerky meat you can buy them at wally world for cheap money your other choice is a meat slicer.

FullDraw

Rhys
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah the meat slicer was an idea I had too, but they seem to be pretty darn expensive and at the moment we live in a tiny basement suite and my wife is justifiably a little frustrated with all the junk I collect . I think the electric knife is the way to go.

Can it cut through fully frozen stuff?

Rhys

Elkhound
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Okay, little tip. I had the same problem..... pick yourself up a jerky gun. Grind the meat into burger ...... mix in the spices..... load up the gun......then squeeze the strips out.......sooooo much easier and when it's done there is still enough holding it together you can rip chunks off. My kids like it this way better as well.

Jerky Guns Rule....but buy a big one not one with a little tube so you don't have to fill it up every minute.

Plus you can use scraps for all the jerky and save those nice pieces of meat for roasts and steaks.

FullDraw
07-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Rhys If you get a good cut of meat you don't have to cut the meat half frozen with the electric knife, meat slicers are pricey you don't want to have to take a long out to make jerky! I have the jerky gun for hamburger but perfer the cut meat myself. I never tried cutting the half frozen meat with the electric knife never found i needed to. hope this helps.
FullDraw

Rhys
07-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Excellent advice guys I will try with the electric knife and see how that goes then move onto the jerky gun if not satisfied.

Rhys

Elkhound
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Rhys If you get a good cut of meat you don't have to cut the meat half frozen with the electric knife,

This is true, but I have a hard time useing a good cut of meat for jerky......but thats probably the cheap scottish in me:wink: