PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the north Island Hali fishing

BlacktailStalker
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Heading out bright and early tomorrow morning. Hope to hook into some giant barn doors and be back with some great pics and stories, wish me luck !

BlacktailStalker
05-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Trip went well, in the fact we did bring home 5 hali's. Weather couldnt have been any better, found a great bay to anchor in for the night and the eagles and whales wwere plentiful to keep us entertained whe the chickens weren't biting. The halis were all around 15 pounds. I guess you could say it was more of a scouting trip to get familiar with the area. There were a couple taken around 100lbs the day before we were told. I'd still trade any day on the water or in the bush over anything else.

Mr. Dean
05-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Nothing bad about that trip. Well done!!

What kind of gear and methods were you guy's utilizing?

BlacktailStalker
05-10-2006, 09:07 PM
We mainly fished spreader bars with herring (black and purple sizes) but also tried octopus. Spent a bit of time using the power grubbs in white and glow as well but all fish came on the herring and octopus.

Johnnybear
05-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Sounds like a good trip BTS. Glad you hooked into some. I like spreader bars the best too. I'm trying to get out off the westcoast this weekend. I heard it's hot right now.

BlacktailStalker
05-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Hey johnnybear where abouts are you going? We're trying to get out there sometime soon here in the next week or two as well. Most likely bamfield... You heard the halis are hot or salmon already ?

Mr. Dean
05-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Excellent bait choice IMO
Try combining the two next time. Herring first then backed by the Octi. You could also consider prettying it up with the use of a large skirt.

Johnnybear
05-12-2006, 09:50 PM
It's going to have to be May long weekend now. Have to work all weekend (the down fall of owning your own business). We'll be going to Tofino if the weathers good. I might have to check out Sooke because I've heard the Hali fishing down there is really good right now. Make sure you bring your salmon gear to Bamfield my buddies nailed some nice springs off Cape Beal earlier in the week. Good luck and watch the weather.

bckev
05-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Was it a guided fish or did you head out on your own

BlacktailStalker
05-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Out on our own.

Johnnybear
05-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Did you make it out this weekend BTS. I was checking the weather today and kicking myself in the pants. Looked like a great day today out at Bamfield.

BlacktailStalker
05-14-2006, 05:06 PM
No I couldnt make it, it definitely was a beauty as far as weather is concerned !