PDA

View Full Version : SPRING BLACK BEARS

stonesheep
04-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Well since bear season is finally upon us lets keep this post rolling to track all of our members success, and share our knowledge of the sport. Who has been out already, have you seen any bears, big or small, has any one taken a bruin yet, where are you hunting if you don't mind telling all of us, How is your particular area greening up. Let's build this post up as a knowledge base for some of our newer bear hunters as there seems to be alot of interest in spring and fall bear hunting. I will do my best to keep you all posted on the North Islands activites.

So far the southern slopes are getting greener as I type this, I have heard of about 5 bears so far from the guys at work, non of which are said to be shooters. We still have some snow at higher elevations so this should keep the bears petering out slowly, good... can't look at them all at once anyway. They are out and hungry so get your binos and spotter and start looking at the hillsides

3kills
04-04-2004, 10:49 AM
dont we have a few posts on this one already...

stonesheep
04-04-2004, 01:58 PM
SURE WE HAVE A FEW POST ON THIS, BUT LETS TRY TO KEEP THIS ONE AS A STATS PAGE ONLY... AND POST ALL OF OUR OTHER BEAR RELATED CHAT TO OUR OTHER BEAR THREADS..... NEVER HAVE TOO MANY THREADS CAN WE. :D

3kills
04-04-2004, 03:07 PM
nope we cant i just didnt wanna confuse people its all good though :D

3kills
04-05-2004, 11:41 AM
when i was out at the 3d shoot this weekend on the course we seen a bear den...not sure if there was still a bear in it or not (wasnt about to stick my head in and look)...but it was cool to see never seen one before...would have been nice if i had my camera...

willyqbc
04-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Well i went out for a snoop west of Quesnel with oldtimer and my little guy today. Didn't see any bears or even any sign of em.Not much greening up here yet. Probably be 3 weeks yet. Gonna go lookin for horn tommorow with Swamper, probably check the progress of the green stuff down south a ways! Never know might stumble on an early riser. Will let you know how it goes!

Chris

jackychiles
04-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Well what a morning. Left about 6:30 and saw 3 mule deer driving in. Stopped and look through the bino's to see that one was starting it's antlers. Stopped and ate breakfast, got the wife to shoot the .22 for her first time and she liked it :D Went on a little hike up this large cut block and saw a HUGE moose. My english bulldog started to run after it once the moose started to walk away. Man it was the funniest thing. No bears or sign of bears but it didn't matter. Having my wife and my dog up in the bush hanging out together, shooting the .22 seeing the moose...........it was just awesome. Mornings like that make you happy to be alive.

Jacky

3kills
04-10-2004, 05:30 PM
me and the gf went for a drive today...but of course we didnt see anything....but it was still a nice day for a nice drive with the gf....

Kirby
04-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Went out for a drive yesterday, spend about 3 hours in the back roads, didn't see any bears, but seen some sign, shit, cropped grass, and some tracks, next week, I'm packing a rifle. They are starting to move.

Kirby

willyqbc
04-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Well I went out with Swamper friday for the day looking for some bears....same result as thursday...nada. Did see over 60 deer though, they were everywhere! About 1 o'clock we were tooling down and old road and came to a downed tree that didn't look to bad so we headed over it, no problem. However on the way back one of the broken branches put a hole in the sidwall of the tire :cry: No problem I think...." where's the spare??" :?: "UMMMM.... don't have one" 8O. Well I'm figuring this is just great, 15 Km walk back to the nearest farm...hmmm nice day for it :? So off we go heading back down the road, About 300 yards from the truck swamper's cell phone gets reception and he places a quick call, we sit down to wait for help to arrive, and you can imagine my surprise when no more than 15 minutes later a good looking blonde in a $60,000 Ford Excursion pulls up to chauffuer us back to town!!! 8O :o :lol: I'll tell you, swamper never ceases to amaze me!! All in all, an enjoyable day in the bush!!

Chris

wounded
04-10-2004, 08:25 PM
So you guys tagged out on a whitetail doe allready. cool 8O 8O :lol:

3kills
04-10-2004, 11:39 PM
sounds like a good day willy...

willyqbc
04-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Went for a drive with Oldtimer after work yesterday and had a GREAT evening. There were animals everywhere. We saw well over 100 deer, 1 bull moose, one cow elk and 2 bears. One of the bears was a beautiful cinamon. We watched him for about 10-15 minutes and decided he was a shooter so Oldtimer put a stalk on him and got into bow range but could not get a shot due to some willows. I got some pics of the bear and will post them when I finish off the roll of film and get it developed. The other bear we saw was on the move when we saw it and went right into some real thick stuff so we never really got a good look at him. Things are greening up nicely here and the bears are starting to move.....GAME ON!!!! :D

Chris

3kills
04-30-2004, 08:42 AM
sounds like a good day hunting....i still havent seen a bear... :? :(

BCrams
04-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Took a buddy out for bear -
April 17th - buddy shot 6.5 foot boar

Another buddy -

April 24th - buddy shot 6 ft boar

Beautiful thick and full fur.

Don't really care to shoot black bears myself ....... but like getting out as it allows me to scout new country at the same time....

But as soon as I get a grizzly draw ...... watch out !!!!!!

3kills
04-30-2004, 11:32 AM
seems like u are pretty good at finding bears...way to go to u and ur buddies... :D

BCHunter
04-30-2004, 07:25 PM
3kills you getting out this weekend? I'm getting out tomorrow.

I want a bear so bad I switched from my 300mag to the 30-06 and put the power on my scope to lucky number 8 :lol:

3kills
04-30-2004, 09:03 PM
i would like to get out this weekend we will see what happnes..it kinda sucks cuz i dont have a truck but my gf does...so if she wants to go then we go lol...

BCrams
04-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Wasn't hunting bears but I was scouting for other hunting areas for the fall ....... and saw 8 dandy black bears today that anyone would be proud to shoot.

Gateholio
04-30-2004, 11:44 PM
I keep seeing bears...saw a nice bear on my way home today. :D

Niiiice fur!

BCHunter
05-01-2004, 09:11 PM
well I'm home with no bear, again. But I'm two for two, the two times I have gone a friend has got one.....I think I need to start hiding bullets on people :roll: This bear was a nice blonde bear, very pretty

BCHunter
05-01-2004, 10:04 PM
I keep seeing bears...saw a nice bear on my way home today

ya rub it in! it hurts already

Gateholio
05-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Sorry...

I gotta tell you- I saw one this morning, and another tonight....

PS I had my .375 H&H Bear dumper with me, but I was sooo tired that I didn't do anyhting...

Just rubbing it in a little, BCHunter :D

This will be a goood weekend for bears inthis area, IMHO 8)

3kills
05-02-2004, 12:00 AM
bchunter u need to quit takin friends with ya....where were u hunting this time??? i seen two today but i wasnt hunting!!! :?

todbartell
05-02-2004, 01:44 AM
i haven't even bought my license or tags... :?

BCHunter
05-02-2004, 01:16 PM
kamloops area, we went right through Merrit...

Firebird man you get a bear every year don't you?

3kills
05-02-2004, 01:23 PM
welll like i said bchunter i seeen two very nice ones between merritt and kamloops yesterday...one was pretty close to if not 6 foot and the other one was well over....

BCHunter
05-02-2004, 02:05 PM
a nice blonde bear...not huge but perfect for a meat hunt.

http://hunt101.com/img/147020.jpg

3kills
05-02-2004, 02:34 PM
nice color thats for sure...

BCHunter
05-02-2004, 02:55 PM
the hairs are very long

todbartell
05-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Nice bear BCHunter http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/biggthumpup.gif I took one similar sized and color in 1996, it was my 2nd ever bear.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/100406-big.JPG
Don't let anybody tell you that is not a good bear, cause it is. I'd be damn proud to show that pic, it's a beaut.

Any details from the hunt? :)

BCHunter
05-02-2004, 03:35 PM
thanks man,

DBM
05-02-2004, 04:30 PM
BCHunter's holding out for a 7' colour phase, aren't you? :wink:

Just joking with you. With the amount of time you spend hunting, I'm sure you'll fill your tag at one point.

Unless of course you're taking someone with you. :)

BCHunter
05-02-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm holding out for anything big or small :cry: I'm thinking of getting out tomorrow....forget work. Shit when your the boss who cares. Harrison here I come

Steeleco
05-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Harrison west should be good this year, they did lots of cutting all the way up to and even a little past 20 mile bay. I'm thinking I'll get a try next w/e.

BCHunter
05-02-2004, 11:52 PM
I won't be making it out, I'm going to save my pennies and go out next weekend instead, saturday-sunday. I guess I'll be giving the wife the best mothers day present, waking up early with the kids and to no mothers day breakfast. I just love my wife. What better gift time alone with the kids

I just hope I can find yogi or boo boo

SniperGirly
05-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Good luck hunting bears, guys! I have only been out once with Bonez and Will (Amphibious), but we didn't see anything. Moosehunter is going to take us out some time next week and look for bears! I'm SUPER excited!!!

Boy were you ever a cute little guy Firebird!!! How old were you then? 14? 15?
Carolynne

jackychiles
05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
I went out this past weekend and saw a huge jet black bear around 7:30 AM. Unfortunately it must have caught a wiff, looked up and ran like hell. Man I was pissed. It would have made a nice rug.

After that about 20 min later I saw a small (really small) brown colored one and chose to let it go. The thing was bite size.

I am going back to where I saw the big one this weekend and I hope it shows up. Good day

Jacky

boxhitch
05-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Jacky - Take along a predator call of sorts and hang out near 'point last seen'. Chances are the bugger didn't run too far, unless he has had his ass peppered before. Keep your "spidy senses" sharp and good luck.

todbartell
05-04-2004, 01:16 AM
How old were you then? 14? 15?

uhmmm, 16? :) my ol 7mm mag was almost as big as me 8)

Rufus
05-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Went out today for a few hours looking for bears. Saw two small bears, both black in color. One whitetale doe, and three mulies. They all looked like does. :D

BCHunter
05-06-2004, 07:41 PM
I went for a drive with DBM today, saw one black bear at about 50 yards. As soon as we saw him he ran across the logging road into the bush :cry: I'm dammed :evil:

rrfred
05-06-2004, 09:34 PM
hi all- been out a few times in the past week, seen a few, passed on a rubbed up one at lasered 350yds last evening, nice one today- he zigged when I zagged, he won.... this time...., lotsa' fun. just a matter of time. cheers rrfred. :wink:

Amphibious
05-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Went out with tank today. Saw 11 bears. it was getting late, and it was my last day to hunt this season so Bear #9 went down. long stalk down a strait stretch of logging road. turned 400yrds into 25. nice little 5 footer, maybe a little over 200lbs. FAT. great hide. Good day. I'll let Tank fill in the rest :D

3kills
05-07-2004, 10:10 AM
did u take him willer??? congrats on the hunt...wish i could go out and see 11 bears.... :(

Tank
05-07-2004, 06:34 PM
congrats to Amphibious on his nice blackie...an entertaining stalk to watch! I had to sit back and watch as he got within range...and then kept creaping closer and closer until I thought he was gonna try and get close enought to give this bear a boot in the ass. finally the stalk was ended when out of nowhere an RCMP suburban came around the corner and force him to make his move and send the bear into next week with his 450. already lookin forward the next hunt!

3kills
05-07-2004, 06:42 PM
an RCMP suburban came around the corner

what were they out hunting too lol...congrats willer...hope u got pics of this bear to show us unlucky ones...

Rufus
05-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Congrats Amphibious. Hoping for my first blackie this year, spring or fall. 8)

Rob
05-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Way to go Amphibious! sounded like a great day! Were the RCMP checking for licenses?

Amphibious
05-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks Guys :D

For any that doubt these .45-70/.450 leverguns it was pretty awsome site. tossed the bear like it was a rag doll and did very little meat or hide damage. Quartering away shot - entered just behind the shoulder and exited the neck. missed the heart and liver, but vaporized the lungs. little hole in - little hole out.

I wanted to get closer and I'm sure this bear would have let me get 10yrds easy, but the RCMP suburban made me take the shot a little eary. He didn;t say what he was doing out there but was nice enough to stop and Give tank a ride back to the truck. he wasn't interested in my licence or firearm.

all in all a good day. off to wells for summer work tomorrow - chance to save tag #2 for a big bruiser in the fall :twisted:

bone-collector
05-07-2004, 08:35 PM
bout time willer :lol: :lol: now weres the pics ?????

Amphibious
05-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Buy me a Camera and I'll take some pics :idea:

or better yet - find the ****ers that stole my truck, my camera was in the glove box :evil:

bone-collector
05-07-2004, 08:49 PM
now now, be nice I may be working not far from you this summer :wink: , may have a job offer driving for a new outfit down around willies puddle

Amphibious
05-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Nice! you can come Camera-Hunt Grizzy bears with me this summer :D (buying a digita as soon as I get some coin together) dropped the hide off today - was super thick, getting it tanned.

bone-collector
05-07-2004, 09:04 PM
cool..and camera hunting? do they make a camera cover big nuff for a 308 norma mag?, pictures will be cool with crosshairs in them :lol:

3kills
05-07-2004, 11:45 PM
my guess would be the cops were lookin for some signs of plantations out there...i could be way off course but that be my guess....

I'm sure this bear would have let me get 10yrds easy
what did ya wanna pet him??? :D

Gateholio
05-08-2004, 12:45 AM
my guess would be the cops were lookin for some signs of plantations out there...i could be way off course but that be my guess....

I'm sure this bear would have let me get 10yrds easy
what did ya wanna pet him??? :D

Getting close to bears is...well....FUN! :lol:

I've snuck up on alot of bears..A few years ago, I saw one across a clearing, the wind was in my favour..so I decided to sneak up on it..

I got so close, I started to get a littel freaked out..It was a good sized blackie, about 6 foot or maybe a bit more. I was armed only with a big hunting knife, and I actually drew it out as I was scaring myself...FInally, I was about 10 yards away, and realized "what the HELL am I doing??"

I stood up and woofed at him, and he bolted...thank god he didn't decide to eat me!!!

Point is, it is fantastic to get close to bears, and if you have a gun in hand, all the better!!! :D

wounded
05-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Its truly a rush to sneak up on a blacky and I have been trying to get close enough with the crossbow lately but no luck yet.They are generally in to much of a open area to put the sneek on them here, but we will see what happens tonight.Maybe the mag will come out and speak 8O 8O But yes what a great feeling to get that close to a bear!! good luck fellas

3kills
05-08-2004, 08:51 AM
when i was younger and really stupid there was a bear in a tree just down from my schoool so all us kids went running down to go look and i stood under neith the tree and looked up at him it was really cool i could of reached out and touched him thats how close i was...could thing he didnt wanna reach out and touch me :)

Rufus
05-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Was going to try a short morning hunt, but pouring rain changed that plan. Maybe i'll get one for mothers day. That would make the wife happy.

Nails
05-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Good Luck Rufus, Your a better man then me going out on Mothers Day 8O. Just make sure you don't come home empty handed. For sure she may kill you then. :P :P Good Luck :D

Rufus
05-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Nails it didn't happen. Mothers day plans took top priorty. :o I guess I'll be taking the rifle to work with me next week. :lol: What was I thinking hunting on Mothers day.

3kills
05-09-2004, 12:41 PM
it sounded like a good idea :D

todbartell
05-10-2004, 01:07 AM
I went out on Saturday afternoon, saw four bears, 2 were small, one was of unknown size and one was right at dark. Nice and green up here south of town. :)

Nails
05-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Rufus not to worry we all have brain farts,during hunting season. I forgot to get a mothers day card, because I was out hunting on saturday. It was a good thing I gave my daughter some money earlier in the week for a mothers day gift she was buying. She put my name along with her brother's on the card. That plan sure came together. Good luck for the remainder of the season.

Thunderstix
05-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Was out tonight for two hours and stalked 2 bears. The first stalk only lasted 10 mins but the second one was about 30 mins....dang wind kept changing and he busted me at about 70 yards. I had my sight set for 38 yards as I had ranged the river bank where I had hoped he would make it to. Bears=1, Pointy Stick=0

Rufus
05-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Went out for a drive on sunday after mothers day dinner. Only seen one RCMP. 8O No bears. Coming home from work this afternoon, I saw one brown bear, didn't have my rifle. :o Tomorrow i'll have my gun, and won't see a bear. 8)

3kills
05-12-2004, 11:35 PM
isnt that how it always works rufus... :)

3kills
05-14-2004, 03:26 PM
me and tamara are heading out the door in about 5 minutes to go seee if we cant see a nice blacky will report back later...

3kills
05-14-2004, 07:19 PM
well we are back and well we didnt get nothing...we did see 3 mulies 2 whitetails a cow moose and 2 grouse...of course no bears damit!!! :(

Rufus
05-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Went out this afternoon for a couple of hours. Saw 14 elk, 2 were bulls, :o the rest i think were cows. Didn't get a good look at all of them, so i'm not sure if they were cows or not. Then i saw 8 whitetails, one was a buck. No bears today. :( I'll try agian in the morning. :D

hooked_on_hunting
05-14-2004, 10:51 PM
I am really starting to think all the bears are extinct in this area :( every time darc and I go out, theres NOTHING!!! We were out for about 5 hours today, covered alot of area, and still NOTHING!! Seen almost everything else but. It's kinda discouraging. I wanna get a bear sooo bad. Oh well... I guess it's just not our turn yet. LOL. Maybe next time. I HOPE!!!!!!

bone-collector
05-15-2004, 08:22 AM
try leaving the bad luck charm at home :lol:

(sorry Darc)

3kills
05-15-2004, 09:06 AM
so rob u want me to leave tamara at home lol...

puppychow
05-15-2004, 09:16 AM
:D :D :D :D Take Tamara along, an extra pair of eyes never hurt, I would be overjoyed if my significant other came hunting with me. She loves the meat but when it comes to skinning and butchering, she gives the body language of being arrested by Qnscowboy at gunpoint. Both hands raised high over her head and states," Whoa! Not ME!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Puppy. GOOD LUCK!

3kills
05-15-2004, 09:45 AM
puppy tamara goes with me...she use to be against hunting at one point...last fall she wanted to go deer hunting with me so i took her about 15 minutes into the trip we bagged a buck...she helped me gut it and everything...now she is hooked and has her c.o.r.e. and p.a.l...

bone-collector
05-15-2004, 12:56 PM
no unfortunatly Darc I meant for her to leave you beside the remote and tv :lol: :lol: :lol:

3kills
05-15-2004, 02:19 PM
well i told her today she could go with out me but she has no gun and no tag as of yet...so she has to take me....

Rufus
05-15-2004, 05:55 PM
3kills, i know what you mean, i went out this morning for about 6 hr's. Saw 8 mulies, and 1 whitetail buck. No bears. :( I talked with one other hunter. He said all he saw was a moose, and deer. 3kills be happy Tamara goes with you. If i left it up Mrs. rufus i wouldn't be hunting. It's not that she's against it. She just loves animals. :roll:

3kills
05-16-2004, 12:14 AM
yes rufus i m very happy that she is in to hunting...she really want to shoot a deer this year and i hope we find her one to shoot... :D

rrfred
05-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi all, Been having a great time lately, yet to squeeze off- buddy and I held point on a 5 1/2 footer last nite- we wanted let my teenager make his move on it ..... bear said - not today- kiddo.... :wink: Lotsa time, cheers rrfred

Rufus
05-16-2004, 08:15 PM
3kills, tamara may get her deer before you. :lol: I was looking in the interior buy & sell, in there they had a few nice rifles for sale. :o Like a browning ss 270. Tamara might like somthing like that. :D rrfred, theres always next time, and good luck to your teen. :D

3kills
05-16-2004, 11:23 PM
rufus i hope she does get her deer before me...i would be so happy for her...yeah she is kinda looking for a rifle right now...lookin for a 270 or a nice lil 308 or soemthing...i found her a nice 308 but she wants a bolt action and this one was a lever...

Clint_S
05-17-2004, 07:05 AM
3kills
Could you email me some info on the .308 if it's still for sale.
My daughter (also Tamara, (on the right)),
http://www3.telus.net/airedales/newsletters/july2003files/kidsbear.jpg
took this bear last year with an old Lee Enfield but I would like to get her something I can scope so hopefully she can get a buck this fall.

3kills
05-17-2004, 09:17 AM
clint_s pm sent to ya....

bone-collector
05-17-2004, 09:22 AM
another fellow to contact Clint is Doug on the board, he usualy has something that can be set up for a young shooter for a great price.

also if you get the prince george buy and sell there is always a few decent rifles in there I think

3kills
05-17-2004, 09:23 AM
yeah doug always has lots of guns for sale...there is guy on here that was selling a nice lil 270...that would make for a nice lil gun its gotta muzzle break and everything...

Foxer
05-17-2004, 05:00 PM
You can also get a non-penetrating mount for the lee-enfeild. If you mate that up with those hornady high energy rounds for the 303, it's quite a good gun for deer. It sure doesn't give up a lot to the 308 (150 grain pill at about 2812 out of my chronographed enfeild).

Doug
05-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I don't read this forum all that regularly so I guess I miss quite a bit of stuff.

Anyways yes I have a heck of a lever gun for sale in .308. Browning BLR (original) with a short barrel (fully legal and CFC knows all about it), shoots very well, Bushnell Banner 3-9 scope on it, all for $525 (plus S&T). You can't beat that price with a stick. And the gun is perfect for a smaller shooter. Shoot me a note with your e-mail addy and I am 99% sure I have pics too!

Doug

jackychiles
05-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Got my bear today. Same area, day (last Saturday in May) and almost the same time 10:00 AM (10:30 AM) as the one last year.
The difference is this years is bigger.

Earlier (7:30 AM) I had an opportunity at a big cinnomon coloured bear but it took off before I could take it. Then later I saw another bear off in clear cut sitting. Dropped it where it sat at about 80 yrds.
Took it to the butcher for some of the best smokies around. Both my wife and my dad who were with me where thrilled. All in all a nice family outing :D

Jacky

Doug
05-29-2004, 05:52 PM
so jacky, did you smoke the b'ar with a 7 x 57?

Doug

Rufus
05-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Congrats jacky, :D what did you take it with. Any pic's to follow. 8)

boxhitch
05-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Atta go, Jacky. How was the hide ? I suppose some are rubbed at this time, if taken down low.

Marc
05-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Congrats Jacky on your bear! Nice to see people are still getting some this far in the season. If you want send me some pictures and I’ll post them up for you
admin@huntingbc.ca .

I've just gotten the green light to head out tomorrow for the day. I'm getting a little discouraged this far in the season thinking I should have gotten one by now. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm going to try and just enjoy the day and if I manage to get a bear then it will be a bonus. That's the way it's supposed to be right. :roll:

BCHunter
05-29-2004, 11:14 PM
good luck Marc, don't come home until you get one....

puppychow
05-30-2004, 06:49 AM
:D Congrats, Jacky on your bear. a nice cinnamon would be real nice as a rug. Mine was shot down low and was very sparse in the belly area.

:D :D Marc, good luck on your hunt. Hope its a record bear. Still waiting for Doug to develop the film and its time for me to buy a digital. Puppy.

jackychiles
05-30-2004, 08:55 AM
Wow...Thanks for all the congrat's guys.

Doug:
so jacky, did you smoke the b'ar with a 7 x 57?

No I haven't got it up and running yet. May take it too a smith to get the safety and trigger looked at. But just to publicly say that Doug is a great guy to deal with and man I am happy with my new 7X57 :D
With my handloads and a bit of work it will be a real tack driver.

Boxhitch:

Atta go, Jacky. How was the hide ? I suppose some are rubbed at this time, if taken down low.

The hide was great, really thick and it was a half decent size, not "rug worthy" big though. Now this is just a guess, but I think where I go they don't start rubbing until later because none of the bears have looked "rubbed" this year.

Marc:

If you want send me some pictures and I’ll post them up for you

Let the ripping begin.
So here we are with the new digital camera and I am posing all proud with my bear and my wife asks "is the screen supposed to black when you take a picture ??" The batteries are pretty much dead. She was really trying to squeeze one picture out and endup accidently getting one of me and my Dad standing over it gutting it out ?? Nice. Oh well if the camera had worked I probably would not have gotten the bear. Thats how things go sometimes :lol:

Jacky

Rob
05-30-2004, 10:41 AM
congrats on the bear, the one thing ive noticed about our digital cam. is to always carry a couple extra batt. our cam seems to really go through them.

jackychiles
05-30-2004, 11:23 AM
We are buying some Ni-MH rechargeables today. They are recommended for our camera and we do not want them to run out in a "critical" situation again.

Jacky

3kills
05-30-2004, 02:58 PM
way to go on the bear jacky...

Doug
05-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks jacky, and I have to say that it was a pleasure to deal with you too! I look forward to the range report! AND the safari report, with Killimanjaro Jacky 8)

Doug

Rob
05-30-2004, 07:24 PM
we have the same batt., still drains them way to fast.

Rufus
05-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Yes, the digital camera we use, batteries don't last long. 8O Went out today for a couple of hours, saw one small black bear. Then not to long after that, the skies opened up, and boy did it pour. :( Time to head home.

rrfred
05-30-2004, 10:11 PM
hey all -time to pass the torch, number one son connected on his first big game animal- He took his bear last night, clean shot- 80 yds just over a five footer, used his brand new 270 with factory winchester 130's. Took him on a sharp quartering away, the bullet did both the lungs, settled in the hide on the off shoulder, recovered 85 grains of perfectly mushromed bullet expanded to 59 caliber. Bear did a 20 yd run and went ass over teakettle, landed belly up- 8O.
Really nice to see a rookie take his first, makes me remember too many years ago: held on point for him to set up the shot, ....nicely done;
no fever til after we confirmed the bear was done, then was he pumped. :!:
Moral of the story here, lots of year round practice,some patience, and the bullet went right where it needed to. On another other side of this, pretty impressed with a facotry 270 that made its way almost 30 inches through the bear.
Now for dad,- been playing tag with an average sized but gorgeous two tone blond/cinnamon. cheers. rrfred

3kills
05-31-2004, 05:17 AM
thats a good story congrats to u and ur son on his first bear...any pics???how old is ur son???i when i got my first buck my uncle was right beside me and my dad was sitting across the clear cut watching through a spotting scope...my uncle thought it was great to be there with me to get his first he said it was a rush for him as well...

jackychiles
05-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Thats a great story. Congrat's to you and your son. Even though I am older and my Dad is much older he was sure happy when I got mine. Yuo must feel the same :D
Give your son a pat on the back for a job well done.

Jacky

Rufus
06-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Thats a great story, and congrats to your son. And good luck rrfred on getting your's. :)

rrfred
06-01-2004, 07:48 PM
hey 3 kills- kid' s 16, been serious about big stuff just the last year or so , but has been packing iron with me since he was 14. Been makin' the promise that when he connects properly; he can take on the big stuff, now gotta cough up to let him take on the deer and moose this fall. enjoy watching the rookies get theirs, got another young un just chompin' to get a junior licence; and the black bear season has become a staple favorite around my place. once i get the pic's back can scan them and post, meantime gotta set up for the next foray, put in my leh's; still got 2 weeks of bear season left, dont like to waste a morsel. cheers rrfred. :wink:

3kills
06-06-2004, 12:39 AM
well me and a buddie went out today and cover a lot of miles and alot of area and spent a lot of time in the bush today...seen some really nice area but never seen a dam bear....but did see a lil more sign today then i have all other times i have made it out...and found some new deer and moose area today too so it wasnt that bad of a day....

BCHunter
06-06-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm thinking of getting out again and taking my crossbow

Steeleco
06-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Hey BC, after a little peak at your gallery me thinks you should stay home and give the rest of us a fighting chance. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: But then there's only 8 days left at this point so don't listen to me, nobody else does.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCHunter
06-06-2004, 09:19 PM
I might not be going far with a blown head gasket, unless my buddy wants to go....

3kills
06-07-2004, 03:56 AM
bchunter...a blown head casket shouldnt be that long or hard to change in ur little nissan....

BCHunter
06-07-2004, 06:09 AM
only $1000

3kills
06-07-2004, 08:05 AM
a grand??? that has to be paying some one to do it...if u do it urself its a lot cheaper...