PDA

View Full Version : detachable winch

ratherbefishin
05-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I was looking at those Costco 12 volt 3000lb winches and wondered if you could mount one on a T BAR that would slide into a trailer hitch,making it simple to attach and detach-and possably use the trailer light hookup recepticle for power.

mark
05-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I have a 12,000 lb warn on a reciever, have used it for years and its the only way to go! As for getting yer winch power through the trailer light plug, well thats the funniest thing ive heard all week. you can get cables that hook to your battery and go to the front and back and they have a plug, so wherever you put the winch you just plug it in. its very simple and imo the best system! :lol:

bruno
05-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I was looking at those Costco 12 volt 3000lb winches and wondered if you could mount one on a T BAR that would slide into a trailer hitch,making it simple to attach and detach-and possably use the trailer light hookup recepticle for power.

Depending on the amount of amps. the winch draws I really think you will
need a larger gauge wire to supply power to the winch.
Bruno

lip_ripper00
05-07-2006, 02:57 PM
. you can get cables that hook to your battery and go to the front and back and they have a plug, so wherever you put the winch you just plug it in. its very simple and imo the best system! :lol:
this is only way to go, unless you use the jumper cable clamps right to the battery. 1/0 cable minimum8-)

hunter1947
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
You can get connectors called tow truck disconnects, you can get the connectors from lordco auto ,i would use a # 3 wire to the connections, frount and rear. hunter 1947.

Steeleco
05-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I did just that. The family bought me the Costco 8000 for Xmas. I fabricated a few pieces of steel to fashion a carrier, a good friend at work welded it up. It did cost me a few favors and $150 but I now have a 25' 1/0 extension cord.
I have recievers front and rear on my 98 Cherokee and can pull from either end.

If you want to come by and are local, Id be happy to show you the set up, if not I can snap some pictures and e-mail them to you.

I would think about the 8000 if your pulling anything other than an ATV!!!

Dayto
05-07-2006, 05:18 PM
I run a champion 3000# winch on a custom made trailer ball bracket , (Will fit any car/truck with a trailer ball) I used 8G Wire to big aligator clamps . With the snatch block I can pull my cherokee around with no problems great for hauling out a moose/Bear/Elk etc .

BCKID
05-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Quote {{I would think about the 8000 if your pulling anything other than an ATV!!!}}

I'm not sure if it's just me or am I wrong. Most times when your stuck all you need is a bit if a tug to get out. I was stuck with my 1995 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel. My Dad was behind me with his 2000 Tundra. He had a 3000 lb superwinch on his truck and with a bit of a tug I was on my way in no time. I often think you don't need to lift your truck off the ground just get it moved a bit. Maybe some guys try to get out and get more stuck. My $.02 BCKID

Steeleco
05-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm sure your right BCKID but I'd hate to be stuck and not have enough winch!!! I've been some stuck in the cross ditches they put in the hills behind Chealis and Harrison, the guy that works that machine must really hate hunters!!! The deactivations in the interior are nothing compared to the coast!!!

ratherbefishin
05-07-2006, 07:16 PM
steelco-could you post pictures of your winch set up?

Phred
05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Quote {{I would think about the 8000 if your pulling anything other than an ATV!!!}}

I'm not sure if it's just me or am I wrong. Most times when your stuck all you need is a bit if a tug to get out. I was stuck with my 1995 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel. My Dad was behind me with his 2000 Tundra. He had a 3000 lb superwinch on his truck and with a bit of a tug I was on my way in no time. I often think you don't need to lift your truck off the ground just get it moved a bit. Maybe some guys try to get out and get more stuck. My $.02 BCKID You couldn't have been too stuck;)
This may happen sometimes, but having the extra pulling power is worth it. Better to have more power than you need than burning out a little winch. I'd go with a minimum of 8,000lb for most trucks with a 10 - 12,000lb for a large domestic. I've had an 8,000 then a 10,000 and now a 12,000lb Warn on my trucks over the years...bigger is better IMO
That said 3000lb is better than nothing and would certainly move most trucks using a snach block.

BCKID
05-07-2006, 07:38 PM
[quote=Steeleco]I'm sure your right BCKID but I'd hate to be stuck and not have enough winch!!!

Point well taken Steeleco. I guess some of us stop sooner than the next guy. I'm a little on the cautious side.
BCKID

ratherbefishin
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
The application I was thinking of entails attaching a rope to a wheelbarrow to assist moving gear[and hopefully moose quarters] up a short but steep hill from the river-maybe 100 yards.Being able to walk behind the wheelbarrow and guide it while it was being pulled would greatly assist the job.

Steeleco
05-07-2006, 09:30 PM
steelco-could you post pictures of your winch set up?

I'll do just that in the daylight hours tomorrow!!!

Phred
05-07-2006, 09:42 PM
[quote=Steeleco]I'm sure your right BCKID but I'd hate to be stuck and not have enough winch!!!

Point well taken Steeleco. I guess some of us stop sooner than the next guy. I'm a little on the cautious side.
BCKID
That's the thing about having a winch...you tend to "give it a try" when considering going through a mud hole or up a steep hill.

The application I was thinking of entails attaching a rope to a wheelbarrow to assist moving gear[and hopefully moose quarters] up a short but steep hill from the river-maybe 100 yards.Being able to walk behind the wheelbarrow and guide it while it was being pulled would greatly assist the job.As long as your winch freespools, your idea would work fine.
A drum winch like in the picture would work best for pulling long ropes like you want to do. You wrap your rope three times around the drum and pull as it turns. You can pull all your rope at once instead of resetting your winch cable. I hope that made sense. http://www.shearwater-sailing.com/Boat%20Systems/Anchoring/winch%20cleat%20clears%20tank%20top%20looking%20af t_small1.jpg

lip_ripper00
05-07-2006, 09:45 PM
The application I was thinking of entails attaching a rope to a wheelbarrow to assist moving gear[and hopefully moose quarters] up a short but steep hill from the river-maybe 100 yards.Being able to walk behind the wheelbarrow and guide it while it was being pulled would greatly assist the job.
we call this, with a 17 "bicycle the pope mobile, usless POS winch it straight up the hill and be done with it:tongue:

Archive
05-07-2006, 10:36 PM
This is a cheaper way to retrieve game:

Tug strap choked around stump attached to a pulley, add bulk spool of cable with an eyelet and hook to truck . Drive down the road like normal and you got whatever went down beside the road now. If stump is too small alone chain a few up. Your winch (if you get one) might only hold 50-75ft of cable (? diameter) so you'll probably want to buy extra cable anyways.
PS, I have a winch too.

lip_ripper00
05-07-2006, 10:43 PM
This is a cheaper way to retrieve game:

Tug strap choked around stump attached to a pulley, add bulk spool of cable with an eyelet and hook to truck . Drive down the road like normal and you got whatever went down beside the road now. If stump is too small alone chain a few up. Your winch (if you get one) might only hold 50-75ft of cable (? diameter) so you'll probably want to buy extra cable anyways.
PS, I have a winch too.
don"t forget the snatch block, the area we hunt is full of swamps an have a 1/2 km of 3/8 cable:biggrin:

boxhitch
05-08-2006, 05:52 AM
When in Calgary last week, I stopped at Costco and they had two different Champion winch set-ups. One of them had a chrome bracket that wrapped around and had two hand holds, as well as the 2" insert stub for putting into a trailer hitch receiver. All ready rigged !!!! Just add cables and plug into vehicle of choice. About $80(?) more than bumper mount style.

Steeleco
05-08-2006, 11:34 AM
This is the set I have just made up, with help!!! After a May long weekend digging out of a snow bank with a hard mount winch on the front, I swore that the day I get a winch of my own it would be portable. HEAVY but protable.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_0318.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_0316.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_0321.jpg

The plugs I could only get from Acklands and were about $22 ea. The run of 1/0 wire I got a deal and a owe favor, but I know it's around $2.50 to $3 a foot. And no the whole thing it's not cheap, but used only once it's cheaper than a tow truck to where ever you are!!! Next is a new Optima battery for another $150. All this for "cheap meat"!!!!

bighornbob
05-08-2006, 01:07 PM
I bought the 8000 lb winch from Costco and rigged up a similar thing for the front reciever hitch. I looked at buying the plugins but they were around 75 bucks for the Warn types. I stopped by a place in Kelowna that has a ton of battery stuff and recycles them too. I asked if he could order me up some. He asked if they were like the ones used for a forklift battery. I had no idea so he took me outback and showed me a forklift battery and they have the same wire quick connects as Steeleco has. I told the guy thats exactly what I needed and he grabbed a set of cutters and cut them off with about 3 feet of cable on each end and just gave them to me. He said for recycling he only needs the batterys:D I have not rigged it up for the back only the front so far.

I was just at Costco the other day and they have a 9000lb winch that comes with the portable mounting system for 479.00. It has everything the original 8000lb came with plus the quick connects and everything Steeleco and myself welded up to make it work:( Oh well.

if you have been looking for a winch I would get this new model in a second.

BHB

i6s1
05-08-2006, 04:58 PM
That's a pretty low price for a 9000lb winch alone, nevermind the extras. I don't think I could put a reciver in the front of my truck, there's not much room under the bumper. (90 Toy)

longhairmtnman
05-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Princess auto also sells a receiver mounted utility winch. Cables inc. I belive it's a 2000lb. About $130.00. I bought a bolt on receiver there and mounted it to my front bumper for that purpose.

4ptbuck
05-10-2006, 05:32 PM
BHB, which Costco carries these? I just checked the Richmond store, and the largest they could find was at 3k atv winch.

thanks
4pts

bighornbob
05-11-2006, 09:03 AM
The Kamloops Costco.

BHB

4ptbuck
05-11-2006, 01:54 PM
PoCo has them as well, they had 10....:D