PDA

View Full Version : saw my first ring necked pheasant!

death-junky
05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I was out getting wood from a logged area when down the road walks a male ring necked pheasant :D i was like wow what a neat bird.
So when is the hunting season :D lol
ttyal
Riley

Iron-Head
05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Neat, Check the reg's?
Symon

kyleklassen
04-28-2017, 10:48 PM
seasons always open when your a death junky.....

Buckmeister
04-29-2017, 12:24 AM
Saw a dead one on the road the other day and nearly creamed it when the car in front of me skimmed over it and I saw it at the last second and had little time to steer the tires away.

Big Lew
04-29-2017, 07:22 AM
They used to be very plentiful in the Fraser Valley, but foxes, coons, and possum have
greatly wiped them out. A fox can easily catch them unawares. Coons and possum
take their eggs. Fifty-seventy-five years ago a neighbor used to have the largest pheasant
farm in the pacific northwest, selling 100's of birds to private gun clubs in the Fraser delta
and to the government for release each year. Additionally, he had escapees now and then
as well which artificially enhanced local populations. I had hunting permission on the farms
all around his place and did my best to capitalize on the situation, lol!

Knute
04-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Classic KK revival

04-29-2017, 08:31 AM
In the late seventies and early eighties, and only a month season, I busted my ass over ol Blue our Wiemeraner and then a couple different Labs Baron and Jed ......... Was always able to harvest two to three dozen a season. Cock birds and all wilds. Up to 32 bars but some were lucky to get the odd 34 or 35 bars. terrific sporting bird, a gas to shoot, fast , explosive. Neighboring property like Associated released some farmed birds, no comparison. Actually, tough to even bother compared to wilds. That said, maybe a few escapees help the population. Unfortunately, as said, yotes have done the most damage. Kind of tough to find good wild bird spots now. Pops used to really hammer them in the 50s and 60s in Surrey, parts of Delta but Ladner was loaded. I became his minny packer and was hooked after that. Sure miss them days.

guntech
04-30-2017, 08:35 AM
35 years ago I would see one in my yard once in a while... right here in Brentwood Bay... loss of habitat and cats have done them in around here...

Ride Red
04-30-2017, 09:08 AM
They used to be very plentiful in the Fraser Valley, but foxes, coons, and possum have
greatly wiped them out. A fox can easily catch them unawares. Coons and possum
take their eggs. Fifty-seventy-five years ago a neighbor used to have the largest pheasant
farm in the pacific northwest, selling 100's of birds to private gun clubs in the Fraser delta
and to the government for release each year. Additionally, he had escapees now and then
as well which artificially enhanced local populations. I had hunting permission on the farms
all around his place and did my best to capitalize on the situation, lol!

Was that the farm on Sylvester Rd with the large mesh covered coup?

Ride Red
04-30-2017, 09:10 AM
We used to have a few grouse, pheasant and the odd fox around here. Once the coyotes gained their stronghold, everything was decimated.

Big Lew
04-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Was that the farm on Sylvester Rd with the large mesh covered coup?

No, they were up the hill on 263rd across from the old Whonnock-Interfor Sawmill. It was much larger
than the one on Sylvester or the one in north Maple Ridge. It was owned by A D Hitch, the fellow that
introduced Chucker Partridges to the BC Interior through a governmental program. He was actually
mentioned as such in our socials 30 textbook in high school.

Downwindtracker2
04-30-2017, 01:34 PM
As a kid in the '50s we caught one in a gunny sack in North Burnaby.

rbduck
05-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Late 50s/early 60s, we hunted them all over Richmond. I imagine all that great pheasant habitat is long gone. A real shame.

Ron

SPEYMAN
05-08-2017, 08:30 PM
There may be some habitat, but it is full of Raccoons, Skunks, Coyotes and those Feral Cats. There needs to be some varmint control.

Amphibious
05-09-2017, 08:30 PM
TeH-DEeathe_JunnKay!

He lives!

Phreddy
05-10-2017, 10:18 AM
In the 50's and early sixties I used to wander all over the south surrey area hunting them. Would get up early and hunt on the way to school hiding my shotgun in an old hollow stump once I got near the populated areas on State Rd. Don't think I'd want to wander around that area with a shotgun today. lol