PDA

View Full Version : Peep Troubles

3d bowman
04-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Hello everyone, Been having troubles keeping my peep in line. I got the one that has the string on two sides of it and just doesn't want to twist all the way open for me to get the full view out of it. Not to crazy about the peep that is attached to the rubber band to line it up. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did you fix it?? I have been told that a new, better string will fix this problem. Will it??? And yes if I change my strings, I'll change my cables. My bow is two years old and has the original stock set on it. If it matters its an AR 34. Can anyone help me out with this frustrating situation?? Thanks in advance.

sealevel
04-28-2006, 06:08 AM
If set set your peep with a good set of stringes it should come around every time. Sometimes you have to take strands from one side of your peep and move it to the other but once set it should stay. I would say get a new set of strings.

Triggerman
04-28-2006, 06:58 AM
I was in Hawaii for a hunt and was having a lot of trouble with my bow. After missing some shots and getting very frustrated, I took it to a tech who got it shooting better but I still was not getting consistent groups.

When I got back I noticed the peep was F'd up. I did some research on how to eliminate the peep or at least get a better system for consistent sighting and this is what I ended up with:

http://www.hindsightco.com/hs/Default.htm

This little item is amazing! It allows you to line up the to the pins EXACTLY and then choose your distance. It works perfectly everytime and allows you to shoot earlier in the morning and later at night.

Try it. You'll love it!

Regards,

Triggerman

Sideofabarn
04-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Triggerman,
Where did you end up buying the hindsight? I wanted to get one but I couldn't find a dealer here in the granola bowl. I don't love the peep sight myself, and I am doing ok with just a front sight, but I could do better. Hind sight (lol as always) seems to be the answer

Bow Walker
04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
quote:[My bow is two years old and has the original stock set on it.]quote:

3Dbwmn....change the string right away! Two years shooting on the original string is more than enough. Much more. Most bowhunters/3D'rs will change the string and the cable every 12 - 18 months, depending on how much you shoot including practise, competition, and/or hunting. I seriously suggest changing the whole set - right away. :eek:

Check around, ask those in the know and get a reliable/reputable string maker to make you a set. If you were on the Island, it would be no contest - West Coast Archery makes strings and cables that DO NOT stretch or creep.

Even so, once you get the new set on your bow, shoot a 100 - 150 arrows to settle it in. Then get your peep adjusted by Mike at Speciality Shooting Sports. It is worth the effort. :smile:

Having the peep rotate properly every time you draw your bow is crucial.

Hope this helps you in your dilemma.

Dan.

Bow Walker
04-28-2006, 05:32 PM
By The Way 3D bowman.......
You have said that you have a new AR 34? How do you like it?? I have been licking the screen on my computer when I go to their website. That is one of the bows on my short (very short) wish list for when I have way too much money to think about spending.

It is high on my priority list - but a tad lower on "she-who-should-be-obeyed" list.

Got a pic of your setup? If so, do you mind posting it here?

FlyingHigh
04-28-2006, 05:32 PM
nother peep question. mine popped out. is there a way it can be put back in without a bow vise?

Bow Walker
04-28-2006, 05:39 PM
If you separate the strands without using a bow press of some sort (maybe a portable one) you run the risk of fraying one or more of the strands. Not good.

Invest in a portable bow press and save yourself a whole lot of trouble and problems.

Good luck.................Dan.

3d bowman
04-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey BowWalker, Well in breif, I Love It!!! The AR34 is an awesome bow. I have not shot alot of other bows, but it sure was nicer to shoot then the Hoyt I did shoot. The AR34 is quiet, very little, if any vibration and extemely forgiving. My one issue with it is the grip. I found it to narrow, well really there is nothing there. Two pieces of 1/8" slivers on the stock thats just over 3/4". Personally i need more. I've been looking for a grip. Do you know where I can look? I built a make shift one now but needs lots of work yet. I talked to a guy in Saskatoon but, he wants my bow and to tell him what grip i've found and then he'll build it?? Well if I found a grip then I'll just buy it and put it on and not get him to copy it and not have my bow for about two weeks and maybe loosing it in transit. No no. Other then the grip issue for me the bow is incredibale. I don't have a picture of my bow but I will work on it and post it. Stay tuned.

3d

Bow Walker
04-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Not to hi-jack this thread but.............

3d....you might want to try wrapping your grip in that Sims Navcom stuff so that you can thicken it and put some heft into your hand. This way you can shoot comfortably and maybe when you are confident you can unwrap a layer or two to get used to the "proper" thickness of the grip as set by the bow company.

After all, we know that the "companies" did their due diligence by reasearching and testing to find the "proper" grip thickness for the most consistent shooting - right?

I worked to get used to the smaller, thinner grip on my first compound bow a PSE, which was a drastic change from the one that I learned to shoot with when I took lessons - way back in the beginning.

It took a bit of patience to accomplish but it was worth the effort in the long run......and if there is one thing for sure it is that I am in this for the long run.

Try to get used to your skinny grip. It will benefit you in the long run as well.

Also. I will wait patiently for pics of your setup. I am looking at the AR 31 as an alternate bow - hopefully I can aford to keep my Martin when and if I acquire the AR.

In the meantime I will trade you pics of bows - here is mine.

3d bowman
04-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey BowWalker, Here's a pic of my set up. Not the greatest of quality but I think you get the idea.picture 1

3d bowman
04-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Sorry about the last reponse. Not sure how to post my pic?? How did you do it?? I can shoot a bow!?!? Really.

3d
I will keep trying

Bow Walker
04-30-2006, 08:22 AM
3d
e me the pic and I will post it for you if you are having too many problems.

Dan.

3d bowman
04-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Hello BowWalker, My pic of my bow is in the gallery. Twice couldn't get it to the forums that's why its in there twice. Its a crappy camera. The Specs on it 65lbs of draw, 29" draw lenght, new winners choice string and cable (should fix the peep issue) tophey ridge verticle inline pins (love it), quick tune arrow rest ( thinking about going to drop away) 8" shock blocker stabilizer, with a tru ball t-handle thumb release. My arrows are easton carbon epic 300. Talk to you soon... ps been bear hunting out there yet??

3d

3d bowman
04-30-2006, 03:23 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/Picture_3.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2563&cat=500) Been playing around with this picture posting. Not going to let it get the better part of me. Hahahah!!!! Success!! But now my bow is everywhere?? Did I succeed?? Sure I did a number of times!!!

Bow Walker
04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Perfect! It came through and posted nicely. Sure is a sweet looking setup. Love that aggressive cam and the huge idler wheel. Not to mention the parallel limb technology that is on it. :mrgreen: (happy for you and green with envy at the same time.)

You are shooting about the same specs as I am with my Martin. Same poundage, same draw length, almost the same arrows. I am shooting the Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 5575's for hunting and the Carbon Express 190's for 3D. I have just recently cut my 3D arrows back to 27.5" from 29". They fly great and I have gained speed.

My hunters are still at 29" though. I want the down range KE for if and when I get to draw back on something worth shooting at. As for bear hunting.....well I don't bother with it because I don't eat the meat and I don't want a hide for tanning and I don't want the cape for mounting either. So to answer your question - no I haven't been out for bears. I'm just anxious for the early bow season to bet here so that I might get out to see/shoot at a nice tender buck.

I used to shoot a Trophy Ridge VIP setup and I also loved it. Now I have a 5-pin Spot Hogg and have come to really like that one as well. I sort of miss the vertical inline pins of the Trophy Ridge though. It sure does block less of the target than having all the pins come in from one side. It took a bit of getting used to the Spot Hogg, but it is tough as nails (as advertised) and now I am totally used to it - although I haven't hunted with it yet. :? but we shall see. :shock:

Good luck with your AR, be good to it and it will treat you right.

Dan.

3d bowman
04-30-2006, 10:36 PM
My first set of arrows were the Gold Tip 5575's too. A really nice arrow. Think I may still have one kickin around. Do you ever get off the Island to do 3d shoots?? What are some coming up on the Island?? Some of the best shoots involve a road trip. How long have you been shooting arrows for?? The bear thing...I must confess...I don't really like the meat, but I know people that do, but I would keep some of it. I really would like a hide. Hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks. I really want to go on an Elk hunt. Been on Moose for the last few years and going on one again if the draws work out. Need a change of flavour. Now that I got this picture posting thing down I'll take some more snaps.

What kind of release do you use?? Ever used those really long stabilizers??

3d

Bow Walker
05-01-2006, 07:24 AM
3d.........PM sent.

3d bowman
05-02-2006, 06:33 PM
BowWalker, Did not realize an old and not working email address was still on here. It has been updated now to my new one. Curious to see what it is.

3d

adam moleski
05-27-2006, 07:26 PM
hello iam a new member to this site but iam a experienced now hunter. I hunt all over B.c with archery and have taken many animals. You are definetly right about the string. If you use a good string, such as a zebra twist or a winners choice you will eliminate this problem. I shoot a mathews bow and it comes with a zebra twist string, but i still use a rubber to make sure it comes back strait all the way. if you change it every year before the season starts it wont break on you. I put a dab of fletch tight on the peep part to make sure that it wont slide off. sometimes rubber bands are a pain in the but, but when you get that one in a life time shot you want to make sure you can see through your peep. if you really hate those bands serve your peep in so that it is aligned with your string loop. But I go on at least one or tow sheep and goat hunts a year and the rubber had never failed me even in the worst conditionsl. anyway thats my insight. thanks

chevy
05-27-2006, 09:27 PM
i used to have a two string peep and kinda had the same problem i changed my string and it didn't solve anything so i took off the peep and put a three string peep on it and i have never had a problem with it since my advice would be to go to a three string peep you will love it

3d bowman
05-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey Adam, Thanks for your insight. Always interested in what other have to say. My very first set up was with a rubber band. Just didn't like it. Not my thing I guess. I did change my string and went with a winners choice. Have not used it yet but will soon. Still looking forward to taking my first animal with my bow too. Hopefully this season.
3d

3d bowman
05-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Hey Chevy, I did use a 3 string peep before the two string. Gonna give the new string a chance and who knows maybe I'll switch it back.

3d

chevy
06-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Cool like i said i had all sorts of peeps and the three string peep seemed to be the best for me i love and will probably never change it and good luck with the string i hope it works for you