PDA

View Full Version : Bow Switch

FlyingHigh
04-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I've been thinking of switching bows. i currently have a PSE Venom and was thinking of switching over to a Bowtech Equalizer. I find the Venom to be a little heavy for my purposes. i bought the bow a few months ago and could probably get trade in credit for the Bowtech. Just wondering what you guys think of this idea. I've only been shooting since i got the Venom and I like the bow, but still think it's a bit heavy.

sealevel
04-27-2006, 05:38 AM
i am not really familuar with ether bow but don`t think in the long run it will make that much difference . the bow tec will be the better bow but you will take a beating on a trade in nothing daperciates more and fester then a bow .

Jetboater
04-27-2006, 07:35 AM
I think going to the bowtech would be a good choice, the venom is a heavier bow, if you are expecting a huge diffeerence in performance you might be looking the wrong direction,

FlyingHigh
04-27-2006, 07:46 AM
not expecting a huge performance jump. mostly the weight factor.

Fred
04-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Will a few ounces make that much difference? Your shoulders must be near as bad as mine! :? Fred

The 'Hummer'
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
My first bow, that I've recently traded off, was a Darton Maverick, using XX 78, 2413's. No complaints. :) It was sort of a mid range priced bow. I now use a Hoyt UltraTec for target & a Hoyt CyberTec for hunting. A friend of mine has a shop in Sherwood Park AB. and thats who's recommendations I went on.:biggrin:

FlyingHigh
04-27-2006, 03:46 PM
it's not a matter of having bad shoulders. i'm 17, young strong and fit. i have smaller hands though and find the venom grip less comfortable than the equalizer's. i also like the overall feel of the bowtech a little better. i think i may stick with the PSE for a few more months and then make my final decision. thanks for the info guys.

willyqbc
04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Make the switch, not for performance or speed or weight or anything like that, but for fit feel and confidence in equipment. These three things are absolutely key in buying archery equipment. To be a really good shot everything about the shot must become subconcious, if the bow is not comfortable or does not fit you well or even if you have some nagging doubts about it you will never reach your potential with that peice of equipment. So for the Psychological reasons and the "feel" of the bow......I ould eat the depreciation on your current bow (if you can afford to) and find a bow that really fits you well and feels good in your hand.

JMHO
Chris

swamper
04-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I agree wholeheatedly with Willy. Like you I have small hands and when switched to my AR with the smaller grip my shooting improved dramtically. If a bow feels good the shooting becomes second nature, you are no longer thinking about the grip and your confidence level goes way up. The Bow Tec is an awesome bow, my son shoots one. Make the switch, you won't be sorry.

Bow Walker
04-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I had a very similar feeling about my PSE Mojave when I first bought it, I traded up to my current bow which is a Martin Phantom.

Less weight, less bulk, less ATA, and a whole lot more "good feeling" about it - which translates into confidence and satisfaction in shooting.

I have never regreted the change. I am now waiting to change to the new parallel limb technology...be it Bowtech, AR, Diamond, or what-have-you.

oldtimer
04-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah !! What Willy and Swamper said !!! Most of my family shoot's Hoyts but they have a smaller grip than I like. I like my High Country and My Diamond Rapture by Bowtech. They just feel right. Mike

The 'Hummer'
04-27-2006, 09:34 PM
On the Darton Maverick I had the grip felt really comfortable, more so than that of my Hoyt. It was suggested to me not to grip the bow but let it rest in my palm between the thumb & forefinger. I was told this would minimize the possibility of putting torque on the bow during release. The grip then, for the most part, is immaterial. Seems to work.

FlyingHigh
04-30-2006, 02:20 PM
well, i've almost 100% decided on switching to the bowtech. after my trade in i'll only pay around 150 bucks for the bow. :shock: i'll have it set to 50lb draw in case anyone cares.