PDA

View Full Version : Backpack fishing gear

Clam
04-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Can anybody recommend tackle for backpack fishing? The equipment would have to be small, sturdy and not cost an arm and a leg.

Johnnybear
04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
For fly fishing, Dragonfly makes a neat little 4 piece unit with reel and line.
For spinning, Shimano makes a neat little spinning combo comes with a little carry case and everything. My buddies and I have them behind the seat of our trucks at all times.

Clam
04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks, Mr Bear. Do you know the model numbers or names of these?

Clam
04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
How about Shakespeare Ugly Stick Pack Rod? Described as 6'6", 6 - 15 lb line, medium action.
Worthwhile?

Johnnybear
04-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Don't know it but it sounds good. Just get anything but don't buy the cheap 10 dollar ones from Walmart or Canuck tire they fall apart pretty fast or break or... The important thing is to get out there and fish. Anthing will do. Back pack rods are a good thing to have in your pack. I used to hike into a lot of lakes on the island and I've had some of my best trout fishing on those trips. I found that those soft sided coolers work good for bringing any fish out if you decide to retain them.

Clam
04-27-2006, 02:20 PM
No, I don't like to buy the cheap stuff either. It is not worth it. I think I can get a basic setup for about $100. I forgot to say that it will probably be a spinning reel. Any suggestions?
Speaking of lakes on the Island, I once climbed up to Lomas Lake (up at the head of Cottonwood Creek) and saw a fish that seemed to have a Large head and small body. Very strange looking critter. I guess it had inadequate food.