PDA

View Full Version : Bear Sausage?

Sideofabarn
04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
I used to make sausages for a living when I worked in a butcher shop. I was just wondering if anyone makes bear sausage, because I was curious to include bunches of fresh rosemary and sage to the mix. One problem is I'm missing the main ingredient... Yogi. Got a rough deer, rosemary, and honey sausage recipe if anyone wants it.

Awishanew
04-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm also waiting for an answer. I've had bear pepporoni and would like to make bear sausages. Has anyone tried bear sausages? Go ahead and post your recipe and good look on your bear endevor.:?

sealevel
04-18-2006, 07:09 PM
please post some recipes

Blacktail
04-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Got a couple you can try

Bratwurst Bear

9 lbs fine ground bear meat.........................2 tsp dried marjoram
1 pound fine fround pork butt.......................3 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground allspice................................... 6 tsp salt
2 tsp caraway seed.....................................2 cups cold water

combine all the incredients well and put through a fine blade again in the grinder.USe real hog casings

Hungariun Kolbas

10 lbs course ground bear...................................1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 lbs course ground pork butt.............................. 6 large cloves garlic
2 tbsp black pepper ...........................................1/4 cup salt
3 tbsp paprika .................................................. 1 cup water

Cook the garlic in the water, then mash it.add the liquid and garlic to the rest of the mixture and mix really well.Stuff into real hog casings.

elkster
04-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Blacktail,
I'm surprised at the small amount of pork you use for sausage. Is this because there is enough fat in the bear to begin with, or is there another reason.

Blacktail
04-20-2006, 12:42 AM
I am a bit of a purist when it comes to my sausages
The pork is only there to add the little bit of moisture that is need
You can by all means change the amounts as long as the overall amounts remain constant
You can also play with the amount of ingredients to taste as well

One thing that I do is to mix up my stuff and then make a very small meat patty and fry it up lightly. remember to eat it when it is still warm!!

That way you can judge what it is going to taste like after the mix is made into sausages and you can alter or add stuff to the mixture before you stuff it into the casings