PDA

View Full Version : Walkers Game Ear??

Dale
04-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Anyone use one of these? If so, do they work good and what is the cost?
Looking to get one for waterfowl hunting. Left ear is getting weaker than the right. Damn muzzle blast!

Sitkaspruce
04-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Dale

A guy who I guided a couple of years ago had one and it drove him nuts. It would pick up every sound, the wind especially, but also running water, waves, just about everything but what he was listening for. I would hear the moose grunting before he would as he was always trying to ignore all the other sounds. I think you are better off taping a cup to your ear ;-) :mrgreen: .

huntwriter
04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Dale

A guy who I guided a couple of years ago had one and it drove him nuts. It would pick up every sound, the wind especially, but also running water, waves, just about everything but what he was listening for. I would hear the moose grunting before he would as he was always trying to ignore all the other sounds. I think you are better off taping a cup to your ear ;-) :mrgreen: .

What you say is true. I am completely deaf in one ear from the day I was born and thought it might be a good idea to "strengthen" my good ear for hunting with a Walkers Game Ear. Hell was that irritating, I could hear myself thinking but I could not hear the animals or any sound further away. Mind you that was six or seven years ago. I am told they have improved the product a bit with volume control and sound filters, more like a proper hearing aid. The price then was around US$300.

Freshtracks
04-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Having hearing loss in both ears ... I to looked into the Walkers Game Ear (google - http://www.walkersgameear.com/) after not being able to hear the bull moose I had got a response from but my son and buddy could.

Since then I've been fitted with hearing aids and I'm adjusting to them apparently very well according to my audioligist. I can now hear my vehicle ping, the robins in the morning and look forward to getting out in the field.

I've discussed shooting and firearm report with my audiologist and she noted that although my hearing aids do have a feature (mic reduction at X decipals) similar to what Walkers Game Ear offers ... I would be better off to turn off (they have a off/on button, as well as high/low volume dial) my aids whenever shooting to avoid further damge to my aging ears.

I keep everyone updated as I gather more on hands results.

btw-Walkers Game Ear ran about $150-600 depending on the model.