PDA

View Full Version : Tastes good or Tastes bad!

Spirithawk ^i^
04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
This is not a recipe per say, but it is a recipe for good tasting meat. Think how one person says a particular meat is terrible while another finds it delicious. To me there are several factors that make this so. Here is my opinion;
1) If an animal is running when shot, or runs very far after being shot, adreniline is pumped throughout it's body and the meat tends to taste stronger and be more tough. Never had a problem with a deer, I dropped on the spot, tasting strong.
2) The quicker game is field dressed and cooled the better. Probably the most important rule of all. Important to not nick the stomach, bladder, nor intestines which would definitely taint the meat.
3) If possible rinse blood from the body cavity as soon as you can and trim bruised flesh away from the wound.
4)Venison should hang in 40 degree, or less, temp. for at least 3 days and preferably a week
5) How the meat is handled while butchering can also effect it's taste. (I prefer to quarter a deer, de-bone it, freeze it till it's semi solid and then cut it into the cuts I want. Wrap it right away, mark the packages and get it back into the freezer as soon as possible.)
6) Finally the age of the animal and it's diet have a large effect on the meats taste and tenderness
Other than those simple rules I've never had to do anything to the meat that I wouldn't to a good cut of beef or pork, ect. You'd be surprised though at how many people I've talked to, that complained about the taste of game, that didn't follow one or more of those rules. For instance those that drive around with an animal in the back of their pick-up on a warm day showing it off. That being said, you have guys like a friend of mine that would rather eat a burnt hamburger than a medium rare steak. Go figure???? :lol: Apreciate any thoughts on this post.

Gateholio
04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Pretty good rules to live by, but this is always the most important..

) The quicker game is field dressed and cooled the better

:smile:

brotherjack
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Good advice.

I might add - if you do nick the stomach, bladder, or intestines (or get a gutshot animal, etc), I have found that you can get away with that if you wipe the entire carcass down with a vinegar and water mixture (mostly water), and immediately trim any pieces of meat that are showing signs of turning colour, or smell bad.

My wife has gutshot one, and we've made mistakes and got intestine juices on two or three, and never had any problem by following the above directions.